ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 4 vs PR

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

wattm
Newly Registered
Ireland

Stamp 4 renewal while employed

Post by wattm » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:17 am

My Stamp 4 permission is going to expire soon (previously had Critical Skills Work Permit for 2 years).

My question is, what kind of documents do I need in order to renew my Stamp 4? Do I need to be employed with an Irish employer? Can I work remotely with a US company and still renew my Stamp?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Stamp 4 renewal while employed

Post by littlerr » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:50 pm

Your employer must be VAT registered in Ireland, and you must be a PAYE employee. Alternatively, you can be self employed (and employed by the foreign employer).

It is in theory possible to renew your status without having a job, if you can prove that you are finally self-sufficient. I am not sure about the threshold though.

wattm
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by wattm » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:04 pm

littlerr wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:50 pm
Your employer must be VAT registered in Ireland, and you must be a PAYE employee. Alternatively, you can be self employed (and employed by the foreign employer).

It is in theory possible to renew your status without having a job, if you can prove that you are finally self-sufficient. I am not sure about the threshold though.
Thanks a lot!

So I can work remotely for a US company and pay tax as self-employed, right? And I have enough saving for at least 6 years.

Thank you.

mads32
Ireland

Post by mads32 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:41 pm

When I renewed they asked to see a payslip and I also showed them a letter from my employer saying that I was working there.

No idea about working for a company outside Ireland though.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:29 pm

Stamp 4 allows you to set up your own business and become self-employed, so yes it shouldn’t be an issue as long as you have everything set up correctly.

wattm
Newly Registered
Ireland

Stamp 4 vs PR

Post by wattm » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:05 am

A friend of mine mentioned to me that he has PR in Ireland but I was not quite sure what she means.

I was wondering if there is any difference between Stamp 4 (Employment/Critical Skills) and Permanent Residency in Ireland? I couldn't find anything on INIS website either.

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Re: Stamp 4 vs PR

Post by raja.brit » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:16 am

wattm wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:05 am
A friend of mine mentioned to me that he has PR in Ireland but I was not quite sure what she means.

I was wondering if there is any difference between Stamp 4 (Employment/Critical Skills) and Permanent Residency in Ireland? I couldn't find anything on INIS website either.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/inis/pages/re ... ion-stamps

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Lo ... _Residency

wattm
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by wattm » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:39 am

raja.brit wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:16 am
wattm wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:05 am

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/inis/pages/re ... ion-stamps

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Lo ... _Residency
Thanks. I used to have Stamp 1 Critical Skills for 2 years and Stamp 4 for 3.5 years now (5.5 years total). Based on the second link you sent, does that mean I can apply for PR now? I have already applied for citizenship but I suspect that process will take at least 2 years.

I'm wondering if I should just continue renewing my Stamp 4 (2 years) or apply for PR and get Stamp 4 for 5 years?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:54 am

LTR is not PR. Ireland does not have a real concept of PR for immigrants under domestic laws.

There is a PR for people who exercise EU Treaty Rights. This is the EU3 application. It’s valid for 5 years but can be renewed indefinitely without any further proof.

There is also a WCATT Stamp 5 for those who have lived in Ireland for 8 years on eligible stamps. It’s valid for 10 years and is probably the closest to a PR. However, you will need to re-apply every time your passport expires, and the application can take 6 months to process.

LTR is sort of a ‘benefit’ for people who were on Employment Permits previously. It takes around 12 months to process. It’s valid for 5 years and you can renew it, provided that you are still in employment. It’s typically slower than a straightforward citizenship application.

You should renew your Stamp 4 as usual. At the same time, you can apply for LTR (you just need to fill in the application and mail the forms to them). You don’t need to pay anything until your application is approved. I suspect you will get your citizenship application approved before your LTR is approved. You are free to withdraw your LTR application at any time.

wattm
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by wattm » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:26 am

littlerr wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:54 am
LTR is not PR. Ireland does not have a real concept of PR for immigrants under domestic laws.

There is a PR for people who exercise EU Treaty Rights. This is the EU3 application. It’s valid for 5 years but can be renewed indefinitely without any further proof.

There is also a WCATT Stamp 5 for those who have lived in Ireland for 8 years on eligible stamps. It’s valid for 10 years and is probably the closest to a PR. However, you will need to re-apply every time your passport expires, and the application can take 6 months to process.

LTR is sort of a ‘benefit’ for people who were on Employment Permits previously. It takes around 12 months to process. It’s valid for 5 years and you can renew it, provided that you are still in employment. It’s typically slower than a straightforward citizenship application.

You should renew your Stamp 4 as usual. At the same time, you can apply for LTR (you just need to fill in the application and mail the forms to them). You don’t need to pay anything until your application is approved. I suspect you will get your citizenship application approved before your LTR is approved. You are free to withdraw your LTR application at any time.
Thanks a lot. that makes sense. I believe my citizenship case is straightforward, I have no criminal records, always had Stamp 1 and Stamp 4, paid tax, etc.

Do you think applying for citizenship and LTR is a good idea? My Stamp 4 is valid until 08/2022.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:32 am

There’s no harm applying for LTR. It’s a fallback in case anything happens to your citizenship application. I’d always recommend that people apply both.