ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

affidavit for birth certificate irish passport application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Dodi412
Ireland

affidavit for birth certificate irish passport application

Post by Dodi412 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:16 pm

Hi

Can someone help please?

I have been asked to provide an original copy of my birth certificate for my Irish passport application.

However, im a refugee and can’t get back to my country to get a copy nor can someone get it for me.

My question would an affidavit be acceptable in this case?

Thanks

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: affidavit for birth certificate irish passport application

Post by littlerr » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:29 pm

Yes that’s fine. You should produce evidence of being a recognised refugee (INIS should have given you a letter for that for your Stamp 4) and you should provide an affidavit explaining the reason you cannot get a passport.

Dawntodusk
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Dawntodusk » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:24 am

Birth certificate is a mandatory requirements for all applicants. There is no multiple of birth certificate. They always ask you to get a original birth certificate.There will be no affidavit acceptable in this Regards. You were Refugee but once you get irish naturalisation certificate, you are not Refugee anymore. So, you can contact authorities in back home. Its 21st century, so the local department, council, foreign affairs, in most of the countries can provide birth certificate easily to you or somebody else on your behalf. If not you can have access for this service in your local embassy in Ireland or nearest counsellor service nearest to Ireland.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:21 am

Dawntodusk wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:24 am
Birth certificate is a mandatory requirements for all applicants. There is no multiple of birth certificate. They always ask you to get a original birth certificate.There will be no affidavit acceptable in this Regards. You were Refugee but once you get irish naturalisation certificate, you are not Refugee anymore. So, you can contact authorities in back home. Its 21st century, so the local department, council, foreign affairs, in most of the countries can provide birth certificate easily to you or somebody else on your behalf. If not you can have access for this service in your local embassy in Ireland or nearest counsellor service nearest to Ireland.
That is incorrect. There are many valid scenarios where the original birth certificate cannot be obtained. This is especially common in cases of political refugees. Even simply contacting the embassy can be dangerous for some.

The affidavit is acceptable in such cases. That is the whole reason for having an official affidavit template as part of the naturalisation form. However, the OP must be able to demonstrate that they have tried and exhausted all reasonable ways and could not obtain one.

Btw just a side note on ‘multiple birth certificates’. A lot of countries/states, like US and Canada for example, issue multiple birth certificates. Every single one of them is original. It is perfectly fine to request 5 copies of the same birth certificate either immediately after birth or when someone is 30 years old. China doesn’t have national birth certificate until very recently, so almost all Chinese adults would be able to get as many birth certificates as they want at any notary office at any time.

Dawntodusk
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Dawntodusk » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:40 am

Well.its not incorrect, I have shared my opinion and an up to date experience from around 11 people(refugees) from different countries in Ireland None of them get their passport done unless they provide Birth certificate . They submitted affidavit and multiple letters which did not made any worth. I might be wrong but thats what it is!
INIS AND DFA BOTH ARE DIFFERENT DEPARTMENT.
Applicant try but DFA recently lodged more Restrictions about the Applicant struggle to establish their identity, So far i know, only extremely exceptional circumstances will be allowed.
GOOD LUCK TO THIS JENTLEMAN/LADY. Hope for the best!

Dawntodusk
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Dawntodusk » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:48 am

I just mixed up with the words. I mean to say that there is no alternate for birth certificate

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:37 pm

Affidavit is not an automatic solution for every occasion when a person is not able to provide original birth certificate. You need to show sufficient evidence that your country of birth refused to give your birth certificate or that getting one is impossible for this reason or another. Your words are not enough.

Ask embassy, they should give a replacement birth certificate or formal explanation why the can't.

johnpromise01
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by johnpromise01 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:38 pm

Vorona wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:37 pm
Affidavit is not an automatic solution for every occasion when a person is not able to provide original birth certificate. You need to show sufficient evidence that your country of birth refused to give your birth certificate or that getting one is impossible for this reason or another. Your words are not enough.

Ask embassy, they should give a replacement birth certificate or formal explanation why the can't.

I lost my birth certificate but I used Attestation of Birth affidavit and was authenticated by my country embassy in Dublin. Will such be accepted in replace of original birth certificate as it was accepted by citizenship Inis if I want to apply for passport?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:55 pm

Dawntodusk wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:40 am
Well.its not incorrect, I have shared my opinion and an up to date experience from around 11 people(refugees) from different countries in Ireland None of them get their passport done unless they provide Birth certificate . They submitted affidavit and multiple letters which did not made any worth. I might be wrong but thats what it is!
Applicant try but DFA recently lodged more Restrictions about the Applicant struggle to establish their identity, So far i know, only extremely exceptional circumstances will be allowed.
The requirement has always been the same. An affidavit is acceptable if and only if the applicant can demonstrate that they have truly exhausted every possible reasonable route and could not get one.

I don’t know your 11 refugees’ stories but in my friend’s immigration solicitor firm there are more than a dozen political refugees who couldn’t get a birth certificate due to political persecution and they all got their passports without any issue. In fact, I haven’t heard of any person who couldn’t get one. The most recent one person that I knew of just got their passports last week.

Again as I reiterated (and echoed by Vorona), it’s not a way of saying the applicant can’t be bothered to get a birth certificate. They must show genuine reasons why they couldn’t get one. If this is the case, there’s no reason they couldn’t use an affidavit. If you really have 11 people that have the same problem, you should ask them to visit a reputable immigration law firm.

Dawntodusk
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Dawntodusk » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:10 pm

Fair enough. GOOD LUCK :shock:

polarcub
Mood:
Ireland

Post by polarcub » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:15 am

Had those 11 people also submitted a notarized affidavit with their original citizenship application? assuming they did, I can't see why you can't use an affidavit for the passport application as well
Dawntodusk wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:40 am