ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does a UK Permanent Resident (ILR) require a visa to travel to Ireland/Dublin for tourism?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

cd20

Does a UK Permanent Resident (ILR) require a visa to travel to Ireland/Dublin for tourism?

Post by cd20 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:00 pm

Hi,

I am an Indian national with UK Permanent Resident with Indefinite Leave to Remain and am planning to visit Dublin on New Years Eve for a couple of days. Do I need to apply for a visa to travel to Ireland even if I have UK ILR?

Per this website
https://www.vitalconsular.com/united-ki ... emain.html
"Citizens of the United Kingdom do not require a visa to travel to Ireland as they have Indefinite Leave To Remain. "

However, I haven't been able to find anything on a government website to confirm the above and whether anything has changed due to COVID. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thank you.

Obie
Ireland

Re: Does a UK Permanent Resident (ILR) require a visa to travel to Ireland/Dublin for tourism?

Post by Obie » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:18 pm

cd20 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:00 pm
Hi,

I am an Indian national with UK Permanent Resident with Indefinite Leave to Remain and am planning to visit Dublin on New Years Eve for a couple of days. Do I need to apply for a visa to travel to Ireland even if I have UK ILR?

Of course you do need to apply for a visa. The UK dont own Ireland. Northern Ireland is a different case, as it is still part of the UK.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Does a UK Permanent Resident (ILR) require a visa to travel to Ireland/Dublin for tourism?

Post by littlerr » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:34 pm

cd20 wrote:
Per this website
https://www.vitalconsular.com/united-ki ... emain.html
"Citizens of the United Kingdom do not require a visa to travel to Ireland as they have Indefinite Leave To Remain. "
The website explained quite clearly. Citizens of the UK do not require a visa to travel to Ireland. You are an Indian citizen. You need a visa to travel to Ireland.

cd20

Post by cd20 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:23 pm

"Citizens of the United Kingdom do not require a visa to travel to Ireland as they have Indefinite Leave To Remain."

that's how I interpreted that sentence. I have Indefinite Leave to Remain too.

cd20

Post by cd20 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:27 pm

Obie wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:18 pm
cd20 wrote:
Hi,

Of course you do need to apply for a visa. The UK dont own Ireland. Northern Ireland is a different case, as it is still part of the UK.
no of course, the UK doesn't own Ireland. Doesn't mean UK and Ireland can't have special treaties or relationships in place. Besides, British nationals can enter Ireland without a visa and the website linked above implied that folks with Indefinite leave to Remain can enter without a visa too, hence my intention was to confirm whether that was the case or not.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:47 pm

cd20 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:23 pm
"Citizens of the United Kingdom do not require a visa to travel to Ireland as they have Indefinite Leave To Remain."

that's how I interpreted that sentence. I have Indefinite Leave to Remain too.
Then your interpretation is wrong. The subject of that sentence is crystal clear. Citizens of the United Kingdom. It doesn't say 'Anyone who has ILR does not require a visa'. It says 'Citizens of the United Kingdom'.
cd20 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:27 pm
Doesn't mean UK and Ireland can't have special treaties or relationships in place. Besides, British nationals can enter Ireland without a visa and the website linked above implied that folks with Indefinite leave to Remain can enter without a visa too, hence my intention was to confirm whether that was the case or not.
They do have special treaties. That's called Common Travel Area. They allow British and Irish citizens to travel to the other country without restriction. There is nothing there that implies foreign nationals with ILR can do that.

Besides, I wouldn't trust any random third-party websites that claim to know visa requirements for all countries in the world. They are good for references, but you should always look for official sources as your first stop. Both the UK and Irish government have references to Irish visa requirements:

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/coming- ... avel-path/

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:52 pm

Btw, that ILR in the sentence refers to the British citizen's status in Ireland - all British citizens have automatic ILR status in Ireland. So are all Irish citizens in the UK.

cd20

Post by cd20 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:58 pm

alright, thank you both for confirming. Appreciate it.