ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long can u stay outside the country during the citizenship processing

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Eddie guo
Newly Registered
China

How long can u stay outside the country during the citizenship processing

Post by Eddie guo » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:34 pm

Hi there i have a question that i applied the citizenship on Jan 2020, till now still haven't received the descion yet, And i have to leaving the country for a while, so my question is how long can i outside the country after the application is submitted, basically i am Just waiting for my Application descion ,my stamp 4 is going to expire on 2024, and i can come back to the country any time if there is a descion made, anyone has experience or any advice are welcome, thank you

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: How long can u stay outside the country during the citizenship processing

Post by littlerr » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:15 pm

As usual, 6 weeks. You need to write to ISD to explain if you are going to spend more than 6 weeks abroad.

Eddie guo
Newly Registered
China

Post by Eddie guo » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:00 pm

Thanks for you information, if i m allow to outside the country for 6 weeks, do u know anyone has experience how to find any reason for more than 6 weeks outside, special during this covid crisis, like i have to Quarantine at hotel 14+7+7 days, that s almost 1 month

Rithvik5
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Rithvik5 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:23 pm

Hi
I have submitted my wife's application in Jan 2019, still in process. Myself and my son has already got citizenship. 6 months before, We moved to UK because of work issue. The applicant has reentry visa till April 2022. ISD has emailed and asked for change address,due to no reply to a letter. Is it a must that the applicant should stay in Ireland to get naturalisation ? suggestions please.

avta
Ireland

Post by avta » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:51 am

Hey,
Rithvik5 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:23 pm
Hi
I have submitted my wife's application in Jan 2019, still in process. Myself and my son has already got citizenship. 6 months before, We moved to UK because of work issue. The applicant has reentry visa till April 2022. ISD has emailed and asked for change address,due to no reply to a letter. Is it a must that the applicant should stay in Ireland to get naturalisation ? suggestions please.
As far as I am aware this 6 weeks rule is not the part of immigration act in any such words yet.
This rule was announced back in 2016 (inside the application form) for residency before applying, and was extended this year to all applicants after applying, by published in the official ISD website.
However the attempt of discard this unlawful rule was badly unsuccessful in the court 2 years ago.
I can add that they want to clarify it in the law by prepared and released provisional act..
So you will definitely need a good solicitor if you want to blame department about it.

BaboiDamo
Greece

Post by BaboiDamo » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:31 pm

Hi @Littlerr and all,

Something that I never understood about this, the 365 days of continuous residence ( less the grace period of 6 weeks ) start from the date you have signed the application form or it is the year before you have applied?

For example, let's see I apply for naturalization on Monday the 8th of November:

The 6 weeks are calculated between 8th of November 2020 and 8th of November 2021?

or

between 1st of January and 31st of December 2020?

Thank you :)

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:15 pm

Eddie guo wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:00 pm
Thanks for you information, if i m allow to outside the country for 6 weeks, do u know anyone has experience how to find any reason for more than 6 weeks outside, special during this covid crisis, like i have to Quarantine at hotel 14+7+7 days, that s almost 1 month
I know your pain. In some provinces you may need to quarantine for up to 8 weeks. Unfortunately, this is out of the Irish government's control and you can't really blame them for a foreign country's quarantine measurements. If you need to be out of state for 6 weeks, you need to provide a valid reason.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:17 pm

Rithvik5 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:23 pm
Hi
The application form is clear enough. As part of the application, you have declared under oath that you are going to continue living in Ireland. You are also required to inform the Citizenship team if you are going to leave the country for more than 6 weeks. On top of both of that, you are required to inform INIS registration team if you change your home address for reasons other than temporary visits.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:21 pm

BaboiDamo wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:31 pm
Hi @Littlerr and all,

Something that I never understood about this, the 365 days of continuous residence ( less the grace period of 6 weeks ) start from the date you have signed the application form or it is the year before you have applied?

For example, let's see I apply for naturalization on Monday the 8th of November:

The 6 weeks are calculated between 8th of November 2020 and 8th of November 2021?

or

between 1st of January and 31st of December 2020?

Thank you :)
The 6 weeks rule applies to each of the 5 (or 3) years of reckonable residence that you claim in your application. Therefore, it would be fiscal years (i.e. in your example it would be 8/Nov 20 - 21).