ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residency permit and citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

eva_
Newly Registered
Ireland

Residency permit and citizenship

Post by eva_ » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:32 pm

Hi

I finally got a letter from Citizenship department asking for the payment, copy of residency permit card and etc.. after waiting for 3 years 😃

My question is: since they asked for only a copy of the residency permit card and not the original card can I still use the residency permit card to travel and re-entre Ireland using it even though I have Irish citizenship?
As I need to travel soon and to apply for Irish passport this will take around 2 months or more so I want to travel and when Im back I apply for the passport.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Residency permit and citizenship

Post by Vorona » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:57 am

eva_ wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:32 pm
can I still use the residency permit card to travel and re-entre Ireland using it even though I have Irish citizenship?
You are not an Irish citizen yet, you will only become Irish citizen on the day when your naturalisation certificate is issued. Until that day you can still use your IRP card with your passport.

eva_
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by eva_ » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:18 pm

Thanks Vorona.

Yes I know, but my question is after getting my citizenship certificate can I still use my IRP card to re-enter Ireland?

pluto1992
Ireland

Post by pluto1992 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:40 pm

eva_ wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:18 pm
Thanks Vorona.

Yes I know, but my question is after getting my citizenship certificate can I still use my IRP card to re-enter Ireland?
That is actually a valid question. I am in the same boat as you. Well maybe a step or 2 ahead as I have applied for my passport and the passport tracker showing the estimated issue date to be 24/02/2022. With a note: *Please note the estimated issue date is an estimate based on current averages – it is not a service delivery guarantee.

I need to travel around end of January for business. My Naturalisation certificate is with DFA. GNIB might have cancelled my IRP since naturalisation certificate has already been issued.

BaboiDamo
Greece

Post by BaboiDamo » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:41 pm

eva_ wrote:
Thanks Vorona.

It s good question, it takes months to get the passport.... honestly I don t see why they shouldn't let you re enter with the IRP card but I would wait for a reply from more knowledgeable users.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:55 pm

eva_ wrote:
No, IRP card is a property of Department of Justice and must be returned when it's expired/renewed or when you are no longer entitled to have it. Irish citizens are not entitled to have IRP cards. Immigration officers will not be happy to see you using it after you become an Irish citizen. Get a re-entry visa instead.

BaboiDamo
Greece

Post by BaboiDamo » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:19 pm

Vorona wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:55 pm
eva_ wrote:
No, IRP card is a property of Department of Justice and must be returned when it's expired/renewed or when you are no longer entitled to have it. Irish citizens are not entitled to have IRP cards. Immigration officers will not be happy to see you using it after you become an Irish citizen. Get a re-entry visa instead.
But if she is an Irish citizen already why she needs a re entry Visa...I would ask the question to immigration directly if I were in the same situation.

eva_
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by eva_ » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:29 pm

BaboiDamo wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:19 pm
Vorona wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:55 pm
eva_ wrote:
But if she is an Irish citizen already why she needs a re entry Visa...I would ask the question to immigration directly if I were in the same situation.

Yes I think I will contact the immigration office but the problem will take so much time to get an answer from them especially with xmas and new year holidays and I’m a bit in a rush to get the answer. I can’t find a phone number and I’m not in Dublin.

Will wait also for a reply from anyone here who has the same experience before and what they did

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:23 pm

BaboiDamo wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:19 pm
But if she is an Irish citizen already why she needs a re entry Visa...
Re-entry visa can be issued for Irish citizens who have citizenship of another country that also allows dual citizenship. All that is needed is a naturalisation certificate, passport and re-entry visa application. The visa is issued for free and will be valid for one year. If Irish citizen attempts to use IRP card when entering Ireland, the card can be confiscated and the person will be told to get an Irish passport. Getting re-entry visa is much faster that waiting for a passport.

eva_
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by eva_ » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:36 am

Hi all, so I have contacted my local immigration office and they said:

“ Dear Eva,

Yes you can travel you your IRP card if it’s still in date.

Kind Regards,

Immigration Unit

Anglesea Street”

Thanks everyone for your replys

Euvellah1215
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Euvellah1215 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:40 pm

Hi Eva, can you share the email address you use to contact the immigration office?

Thanks a mill.