ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New scoreboard approach is foolish

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

New scoreboard approach is foolish

Post by mentalmind » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:30 pm

Just wanted to rant about the so called "new" scoreboard for applying for citizenship. Full disclaimer, I applied for citizenship in 2021 and yet to hear about the acknowledgement letter.

I believe ISD is trying to make things more challenging/impossible to get citizenship mainly for people came to Ireland as wife/spouse/family of people that is working/studying here. Because simply they could introduce more challenging rules for application, like increasing 5 year residency rule to 8 years or more, or introducing some sort of exam or naturalisation quiz . But this would scare the people away from coming to Ireland in hope of being Irish citizen and they would lose the sweet tax money they are getting from immigrants.

I believe it is totally absurd/meaningless to collect some papers and letters like you are collecting pokemon cards. Revenue does have records of where you are working, for how long you are working and how much salary you have. So it's meaningless to collect P60 or employment history from Revenue.

Same for showing mortgage/rent agreement (that has RTB record). It shouldn't matter if you have your own house and you are paying mortgage or if your landlord is some shady person that doesn't record your tenancy with RTB, or you are house sharing with 5 other people and you don't have any bill under your name. Eventually you have to prove your up to date address to Garda (or relevant department) each year (or every 2-3 years) when you have to renew your IRP/GNIB card.

It shouldn't matter if bills are under your name or if you pay it with cash or by direct debit. Most of the providers doesn't send paper bills anymore and they disappear from online billing system after 2-3 years. It's stupid that you have to save your online bills every time. Also if you are changing providers regularly (to get best price) then you will lose track of your bills. Yes you can ask them for older bills but again this is stupid. And I won't even mention how worthless are those bills with the new scoreboard rules.

ISD/Irish Government can/does access to your Revenue records, immigration history, border history (to see your enter/exit days) and get in contact with UK for similar matters to see if you did smth nasty on their side. As you can forge/provide false documents, this has to be done to be sure that applicant is not providing false information. So it's meaningless and pointless to provide all same information as paper because these information can be checked easily. Or it simply means that ISD doesn't have access to these information and simply relying on what information you provide.

It is absurd to collect documents in folders that gets dusty and have risk of getting lost or being unreadable over years. Border police can check your immigration history just by typing your registration number on your IRP card and see your whole history just in 30 seconds.

So after the all rant, I just believe this is just to make things harder for immigrants while not letting them lose hope of being Irish citizen by naturalisation. And yes I know there are unusual/edge cases which is not straight and can be difficult but I doubt providing fishing license or TV license proof will solve this.

BaboiDamo
Greece

Re: New scoreboard approach is foolish

Post by BaboiDamo » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:13 pm

To me what is absurd is to ask for P60 docs when the P60 in ireland was abolished in 2019, last P60 was for the tax year 2018...we are in 2022 :D

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:17 pm

Can you immagine for one second that INIS will do all the hard work of chasing the above mentioned agencies or chasing the landlord of 5 years ago for example or chasing the person you are house sharing etc etc etc? So what’s implied here is that we simply complete an application form with minimal ID documents and off you go? I think not!!

Yes INIS does conduct necessary searches and validate documents but I highly doubt in my lay person’s opinion that it does it for every single application and document.

Increasing years is much worst in my opinion when registering yourself with institutions or service providers and get formal correspondences is much easier especially in Ireland. This country in comparison to some other EU states (take Greece or Italy) is much more paper orientated so it isn’t rocket science. Off the top of my head places like supermarket loyalty cards, newspaper subscriptions, mobile phones, good old credit Union etc etc are a few of may places to mention that will give you formal written correspondence (I’m talking in dire cases where people can’t get the “high value evidence i.e. bank statement, rental contract etc).

P60 where formal and official documents so I don’t see the absurdity of being asked to produce them

I am not being difficult here as like most of the people here have gone (still going) through the process bud let’s be realistic about this. In my personal experience I’d much rather go through the Irish process than the crazy informal system I had to deal with in my country of birth for simple things let alone the right to citizenship

No system is perfect

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:34 pm

Not arguing with you but, you have to provide tax clearance from Revenue while applying for citizenship. And the confirmation number will bring your all details to ISD. And this is 2022, it’s not like you have to send a letter to an agency to get your file. You can check everything instantly as long as the departments have infrastructure for it, which I highly doubt.

About landlords and bills, if I have residence permit, I can stay in a dog house or stay with 20 other people or live in a mansion alone. It’s not relevant where and how I live. Do I have residence permit? Yes. Period. I can live wherever I want in the country (in legal ways of course) and pay the bills however I want. Besides I prove Garda every year that I work/study and where I live and I got my residence permit renewed. Which makes my residence legal, and I prove this by showing my residence permit.

If we are giving examples then let me tell you about Netherlands. When time comes, you pass the language and culture exams and you go to city council with appointment and bring them your passport, nothing else. They don’t want you to prove you shop at Tesco 5 years ago by showing them the receipt of it.

Government has records of your employment/studying instution, taxes, your entry/exit to country and your criminal record. And this is done just by a computer screen. Exactly how immigration police asks where you work/study and what is your home address/phone number, every time you arrive to this country.

Garda does e-vetting, and they have your file including your offences. When ISD asks you to list your criminal offences in Ireland, they either mean 1- We want to know the crimes you commited in Ireland and got away with it. 2- Garda can’t keep record of your offences properly so we rely on the information you give us. Otherwise your e-vetting process would show all of your offences in Ireland. Asking for your all home addresses and criminal offences in other countries fully makes sense and I agree. But asking for your life about in Ireland is meaningless as they already know it.

lovebino
Ireland

Post by lovebino » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:48 am

I absolutely agree with Mentalmind's opinion.

But, if an application cannot provide required documents, from my understanding if the applicant cannot satisfy 150 Points for any year, engagement with the Department will need to be taken, and gain, I understood that the application will need to provide a cover letter to explain why.

This is quite new and we are still unsure how it would work in reality.

lovebino
Ireland

Post by lovebino » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:48 am

But, if an application cannot provide required documents, from my understanding if the applicant cannot satisfy 150 Points for any year, engagement with the Department will need to be taken, and gain, I understood that the application will need to provide a cover letter to explain why.

mads32
Ireland

Post by mads32 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:14 am

What I find stupid is that I have sent official government letters related to immigration like my Stamp 4 support letter and my Employment permit as proofs of address and they are worth nothing in this new scoreboard but a fishing license is ok.

It's problematic to limit the options like that because you can live in Ireland without a car, without going to the doctor, without a fishing licence, without a gas supplier, without a TV, without medical insurance... And why no phone bills, why no broadband bills for example?

I'm crossing my fingers here they won't get back to me since I've applied nearly a year ago but with this new scoreboard I would be in trouble.

I'm 50/50 on the fact they did this on purpose to make it hard or it was decided by some boomers civil servant completely out of touch with the reality of immigrants in this country.

Jumbo Breakfast Role
Newly Registered
Isle of Man

Post by Jumbo Breakfast Role » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:15 pm

mentalmind wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:30 pm
Just wanted to rant about the so called "new" scoreboard for applying for citizenship. Full disclaimer, I applied for citizenship in 2021 and yet to hear about the acknowledgement letter.

I believe ISD is trying to make things more challenging/impossible to get citizenship mainly for people came to Ireland as wife/spouse/family of people that is working/studying here. Because simply they could introduce more challenging rules for application, like increasing 5 year residency rule to 8 years or more, or introducing some sort of exam or naturalisation quiz . But this would scare the people away from coming to Ireland in hope of being Irish citizen and they would lose the sweet tax money they are getting from immigrants.

I believe it is totally absurd/meaningless to collect some papers and letters like you are collecting pokemon cards. Revenue does have records of where you are working, for how long you are working and how much salary you have. So it's meaningless to collect P60 or employment history from Revenue.

Same for showing mortgage/rent agreement (that has RTB record). It shouldn't matter if you have your own house and you are paying mortgage or if your landlord is some shady person that doesn't record your tenancy with RTB, or you are house sharing with 5 other people and you don't have any bill under your name. Eventually you have to prove your up to date address to Garda (or relevant department) each year (or every 2-3 years) when you have to renew your IRP/GNIB card.

It shouldn't matter if bills are under your name or if you pay it with cash or by direct debit. Most of the providers doesn't send paper bills anymore and they disappear from online billing system after 2-3 years. It's stupid that you have to save your online bills every time. Also if you are changing providers regularly (to get best price) then you will lose track of your bills. Yes you can ask them for older bills but again this is stupid. And I won't even mention how worthless are those bills with the new scoreboard rules.

ISD/Irish Government can/does access to your Revenue records, immigration history, border history (to see your enter/exit days) and get in contact with UK for similar matters to see if you did smth nasty on their side. As you can forge/provide false documents, this has to be done to be sure that applicant is not providing false information. So it's meaningless and pointless to provide all same information as paper because these information can be checked easily. Or it simply means that ISD doesn't have access to these information and simply relying on what information you provide.

It is absurd to collect documents in folders that gets dusty and have risk of getting lost or being unreadable over years. Border police can check your immigration history just by typing your registration number on your IRP card and see your whole history just in 30 seconds.

So after the all rant, I just believe this is just to make things harder for immigrants while not letting them lose hope of being Irish citizen by naturalisation. And yes I know there are unusual/edge cases which is not straight and can be difficult but I doubt providing fishing license or TV license proof will solve this.
Some very strange comments here ! Ireland has one of the most ridiculously EASY and liberal criteria , which is no longer justifiable as it is a country that receives more immigration than seeks emigration. It is also at odds with the norms of many countries (5 years is common, but lack of exams are NOT) . Some of the aforementioned nations (not all, obviously) reject Dual Nationality too.

1. RE Potential Future Increase in time needed for Citizenship (which has never been suggested seriously)

If one was minded to go and live in Algeria , based on your flag your country of Origin, one would have to wait 7 or 8 years, and they must confirm that they understand the customs and traditions of the society ie tests

Germany requires 7 years and undergo exams. Austria demands 10 years . The US demands that you first have PERMENANT RESIDENCY (5 Years) and they demand thorough examinations to prove competence and knowledge of it's history and politics and language . Naturalisation to be Italian requires 10 . Many years Many of the Baltic Nations demand 5-8 years and strenuous exams . Pakistan is 8 years

Increasing the residency to 8 years is not a bad idea ! Demand for Exams and proof of language (English) competency SHOULD BE A NORM . It is a joke that immigrants are not tested to prove proper assimilation . It is well known that many recipients of Irish naturalisation do not have the greatest of capability to speak English. It is a common joke for court clerks and civil servants.

Bar disbelief and bewilderment , you have not seriously explained why these things are bad ! It will NOT effect one's ability to get residency (which is a minor issue for EU Citizens) or permanent residency . What is an extra 2-3 years , if one is seriously committed to live in Ireland anyway ? It would be extremely hard to deport someone who has lawfully lived in Ireland by his or her 5th Year if they have remained crime free.

2. But this would scare the people away from coming to Ireland in hope of being Irish citizen and they would lose the sweet tax money they are getting from immigrants.

Most respectively, that is complete nonsense. The majority of Ireland's immigrant population are from within the EU . Many of them actually go back to their country of origin after a few years. They have no need for Citizenship of Ireland.

The Americans , Australians , UK , Canadians and Kiwis won't change their mind about coming to Ireland if the money is right and they can get visas and work permits. After that, Ireland and most of Europe aren't exactly in a huge rush to attract Non EU nationals (Have a look at the Citizenship requirement of those nations ! Stricter than Ireland in many cases)

Who is it going to scare away ? If they aren't intended to live in Ireland after getting citizenship after 6 years (including the waiting time ) why should they get citizenship? No different for any other country .

Tax? Those minimum wage jobs that the Brazilians and co are going to be scarce for a while as COVID will keep places closed down. Again, provided that the salary is attractive and the worker permit is available, people will still come. THEY Still CAME in numbers during the last recession .

3. "I believe it is totally absurd/meaningless to collect some papers and letters like you are collecting pokemon cards."

What? Demand that you provide documentary evidence like bank Statements (that can not be faked) and P60s from Revenue to prove that you have lived in Ireland for the majority of 5 years ? Seems a pretty simple thing to do! One does not sound that serious about their application if they haven't at some point shortly after getting residency , find out who one goes about citizenship later.

You are the Applicant, it is for YOU to prove the case , not the civil servants. Also, more importantly, due to GDPR , they (ISD) can not go snooping without your permission. It is not that time consuming to get these documents. MOST PRUDENT people keep a hold of their p60s, payslips and other revenue certs. They are also obtained within days from revenue and the banks will provide statements quickly enough

Like it or not, evidence from employers can be faked, so can utility bills, as seen in the High Court cases involving sham marriages .

4. "Same for showing mortgage/rent agreement (that has RTB record). It shouldn't matter if you have your own house and you are paying mortgage or if your landlord is some shady person that doesn't record your tenancy with RTB, or you are house sharing with 5 other people and you don't have any bill under your name. "

As noted above; these are the best documents to prove authenticity. Any landlord can and has falsified letters claiming X lives with Y at X address.

PRTB letters make sure all is above board. Landlords are not going to pay €50 odd for each tenant if he is not really letting to them and they can get into trouble if they fail to register all of their tenants via Revenue.

Utility bills are meaningless really because they are not conclusive evidence that one lives at a certain address; in fact, sometimes, when one looks at the units consumed in a given period, they might as more questions than answers.

All due respect, the INIS website was very clear on the documents needed, so , any serious candidate ought to have consulted with that 2-3 years before making the application.

There is case law that highlights that people have failed to reside in Ireland for the required times as they were out of the country a lot (business and pleasure) Note that infamous Jones case.

5. "It shouldn't matter if bills are under your name or if you pay it with cash or by direct debit. Most of the providers doesn't send paper bills anymore and they disappear from online billing system after 2-3 years. "

Wrong ! By law, every service provided MUST publish a receipt. You WILL find these bill statements on their websites when you register your profile on same. ESB/Electric Ireland, Vodafone and Bord Gáis all have websites where the registered user has a profile and you can print out your old statements. Even many of the bin collectors.

It DOES Matter . After a considerable period of time in the country ie 5 years, it is rather difficult to believe that one would have no liabilities under their name bar their mobile phone bill. They are great documents to use to prove continuous residency .

Respectively, you seem to expect that the Department ought to take one's word for it rather then they prove their claim . Your attitude is appalling and devoid of a sense that you are a person who takes responsibility. Whining about potential exams on language , history and politics; whining about the time and effort required to provide mostly EASILY OBTAINABLE documents............

6. "It is absurd to collect documents in folders that gets dusty and have risk of getting lost or being unreadable over years. Border police can check your immigration history just by typing your registration number on your IRP card and see your whole history just in 30 seconds. "

Scan them and store them online. Oh, would you complain about having to remember the passwords ?

Documents unreadable after 5 years ? It is not that hard to store them in a dry and safe location. I get it that it can be a hassle if you change addresses often, but, life is not suppose to be easy .

I have already addressed the issues with Date Protection. Bottom line, you want to apply for citizenship, it is up to you to prove your claim with documents. NO OTHER NATION WOULD have Civil Servants to do the work for you.

Jumbo Breakfast Role
Newly Registered
Isle of Man

Post by Jumbo Breakfast Role » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:17 pm

BaboiDamo wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:13 pm
To me what is absurd is to ask for P60 docs when the P60 in ireland was abolished in 2019, last P60 was for the tax year 2018...we are in 2022 :D
They were not abolished. You all have a profile set up on Revenue . P60 continue to be issued. The method of delivery has changed. You now can access it online, and order it and then print it out yourself or store it in cloud

Jumbo Breakfast Role
Newly Registered
Isle of Man

Post by Jumbo Breakfast Role » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:21 pm

shpirtshqipe wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:17 pm
Can you immagine for one second that INIS will do all the hard work of chasing the above mentioned agencies or chasing the landlord of 5 years ago for example or chasing the person you are house sharing etc etc etc? So what’s implied here is that we simply complete an application form with minimal ID documents and off you go? I think not!!

Yes INIS does conduct necessary searches and validate documents but I highly doubt in my lay person’s opinion that it does it for every single application and document.

Increasing years is much worst in my opinion when registering yourself with institutions or service providers and get formal correspondences is much easier especially in Ireland. This country in comparison to some other EU states (take Greece or Italy) is much more paper orientated so it isn’t rocket science. Off the top of my head places like supermarket loyalty cards, newspaper subscriptions, mobile phones, good old credit Union etc etc are a few of may places to mention that will give you formal written correspondence (I’m talking in dire cases where people can’t get the “high value evidence i.e. bank statement, rental contract etc).

P60 where formal and official documents so I don’t see the absurdity of being asked to produce them

I am not being difficult here as like most of the people here have gone (still going) through the process bud let’s be realistic about this. In my personal experience I’d much rather go through the Irish process than the crazy informal system I had to deal with in my country of birth for simple things let alone the right to citizenship

No system is perfect
Correct. Hence you one should get the essentials like bank statements for full years. Excellent proof of regular residency in Ireland (Most current accounts won't have much money in them. But it will show regulars income and outgoing, clearly in Ireland)

Provide the PRTB letters and leases. (Its assumed that landlords are compliant with the law and the tenants insist on their rights)

Provide the Revenue p60s

The official papers that can not really be faked or information falsified

You are pretty much there once you get them . Staff aren't going to waste all day going through a fine tooth comb of letters from the community and utility bills or payslips . (3-4 each year should suffice , spaced out)

Jumbo Breakfast Role
Newly Registered
Isle of Man

Post by Jumbo Breakfast Role » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:28 pm

lovebino wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:48 am

There can be genuine incidents where one is out of the country in one year, that could not be helped . and then the rest of the years, everything seems okay. eg health issues; attending to ill parents; work requirements. It would be nasty and unfair for an applicant to be judged and punished without first being given a chance to explain himself. There must be some leeway. Citizenship is discretionary.

It is / was a well known situation that applicants would be discouraged from applying for certain welfare ALLOWANCE payments (NOT REFERRING TO BENEFITS) for a few years before making the application. Should an applicant be punished for claiming PUP or a unemployment allowance during the COVID period ? No . But they can put on record why they were on welfare

The key is to given them as much clear information as possible . Treat it like a CV to a major job where by you make a presentation as to why you should be CEO of a big business. I know it is not asked for , but, if you were heavily involved in community activity or business, one should provide proofs of that (newspaper articles, letters etc) , this might balance that off with the negatives

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:46 am

Sorry breakfast, I don't have patience to read all of your nonsense. If State wants to check if I am continuous residence in Ireland, they can simply check my records of entry & exit of country. Period.

fuzzbizz
United States of America

Post by fuzzbizz » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:12 am

Ouch, you have to have a mortgage statement or a registered tenancy? I own my house and paid cash, so no mortgage. Would showing the deed suffice?

Jumbo Breakfast Role
Newly Registered
Isle of Man

Post by Jumbo Breakfast Role » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:01 pm

mentalmind wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:46 am
Sorry breakfast, I don't have patience to read all of your nonsense. If State wants to check if I am continuous residence in Ireland, they can simply check my records of entry & exit of country. Period.
Nonsense ? What? Facts?

Instead of admitting that you have no come back , it would have been better for you if you pretended that you never saw the statement

Your rant is ridiculous. The State does not deserve applicants for citizenship like you .

Crying about the possibility of increasing the 5 year rule, when your own country has far harsher criteria. Complaining about a requirement for exams when nearly every country demands them .

All under the made claim that new rules would discourage immigrants from coming to Ireland (most of whom are EU Citizens - and the vast majority of non EU migrants, outside the work permits are not invited or wanted )

Jumbo Breakfast Role
Newly Registered
Isle of Man

Post by Jumbo Breakfast Role » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:03 pm

mentalmind wrote:
There is nothing nonsense about explaining to you Data Protection Rules and the limitations that the Department have in checking your data. It is not my fault that you are too ignorant to understand . Patience? More like too ignorant to respond

Furthermore, YOU are the applicant. It is for YOU to apply and prove your claim and YOU to ask the State to become a citizen. You do the work .

Nala2021
Greece

Post by Nala2021 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:06 pm

fuzzbizz wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:12 am
Ouch, you have to have a mortgage statement or a registered tenancy? I own my house and paid cash, so no mortgage. Would showing the deed suffice?
You really need to get some legal advice on that so you can be 100% sure, and be told what kind of rights you have and what alternative proof (if needed at all) is necessary for your mortgage issue. Deeds are different to contracts and so on. You may get opinions here, but unless someone has been in the same, common situation like yours, you may be misled.

Jumbo Breakfast Role
Newly Registered
Isle of Man

Post by Jumbo Breakfast Role » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:08 pm

fuzzbizz wrote:
Deed ? ABSOLUTELY . The greatest evidence of ownership of property

Kuddos of owning property without a mortgage. Wow.

I am assuming you are a migrant and not someone who inherited the property

Okay, the answer is dead simple

Jumbo Breakfast Role
Newly Registered
Isle of Man

Post by Jumbo Breakfast Role » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:17 pm

fuzzbizz wrote:
fuzzbizz wrote:
The DEED , unlike the contract, proves that you have title. Contract proves an agreement to transfer title.

It is easier if you own what is known as "Registered Property" as oppose to " unregistered". In the former , you log on to the land registry website, look at the maps, track your property, and for €5 you can download a copy of the property folio. Said property folio cites the registered owner and even stuff like who has rights over your land eg mortgages etc

The unregistered property can also be checked on line , initially, but otherwise down at the land registry office . Bit pricy

You could also get from the local council a letter regarding your water rates, or the property tax and other rates, as alternative proof of an address, if you don't want to provide "deeds"

If your land is registered, just produce the folio (4 pages) obtained quickly www.landdirect.ie

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:55 am

mentalmind wrote:
First of all you are rude for not taking the time to read the other person’s point of view even if it differs from yours. One could say the same about your replies so be respectful and have some decorum!

Back on the discussion at hand…

In order for INIS to conduct such searches they need the supporting evidence presented to them. The only way for them to do so is dependent on the quality of evidence submitted by the applicant. Any checks they need to do is at their discretion. Let’s not forget it is the applicant who is asking to become an Irish citizen so frankly the government has little obligation to bend backwards and do all the work for you. Whether we like it or not the onus remains with the applicant to submit all the supporting evidence and not the other way around.

Best Regards

userDoesNotExist
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by userDoesNotExist » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:32 am

What people are forgetting or ignoring here is that a lot of highly skilled workers pay a lot of taxes (plus the citizenship process value) waiting for this citizenship. I am non-EU and could have chosen any other country to move to but decided on Ireland because it would be easier to get citizenship and I would never seriously consider living in a country without it. So for that people saying "It is a benefit or honor" - Well is not that simple.

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:03 am

userDoesNotExist wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:32 am
What people are forgetting or ignoring here is that a lot of highly skilled workers pay a lot of taxes (plus the citizenship process value) waiting for this citizenship. I am non-EU and could have chosen any other country to move to but decided on Ireland because it would be easier to get citizenship and I would never seriously consider living in a country without it. So for that people saying "It is a benefit or honor" - Well is not that simple.
Paying taxes is the norm and obligation in ANY country and us immigrants included are not “doing them a favour” to this rule so your argument is deeply flawed my friend.
It absolutely is a benefit because the freedom one gets (talking non EU here developing countries like mine) whose ease of moving anywhere around the world without the need of visas and more bureaucracies…well it is worth it. That’s just an example off the top of my head

Regards

userDoesNotExist
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by userDoesNotExist » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:30 am

Yes, you pay taxes in all countries, but different people pay different taxes. It all depends on how much you earn monthly. Do you think that does not matter for countries? Why do you think governments have the citizenship process? They are just looking to keep skilled people in the country to grow with the community. While you see it as a benefit, I see it as a normal process of retaining talent/good people.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:05 am

shpirtshqipe wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:55 am
mentalmind wrote:
First of all you are rude for not taking the time to read the other person’s point of view even if it differs from yours. One could say the same about your replies so be respectful and have some decorum!

Back on the discussion at hand…

In order for INIS to conduct such searches they need the supporting evidence presented to them. The only way for them to do so is dependent on the quality of evidence submitted by the applicant. Any checks they need to do is at their discretion. Let’s not forget it is the applicant who is asking to become an Irish citizen so frankly the government has little obligation to bend backwards and do all the work for you. Whether we like it or not the onus remains with the applicant to submit all the supporting evidence and not the other way around.

Best Regards
Sorry I was rude at him as he was rude at me. His tone is just aggressive, even thou he is or might be correct on points, there are different ways to express yourself, and he chose the most aggressive one.

INIS doesn't conduct searches. Garda does, and as an applicant you sign e-vetting form, and declaration that says "I allow Garda to search my all history". And you give them a list of the addresses you lived thru your whole life. So practically, Garda has permission & power to do all background search about it. And I am 100% sure that they do check your background. So either you list or do not list everything, Garda will still check your background.

Besides, this was just an example apart with the other things that I have to declare again even thou Ireland / Irish police does know and aware.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:13 am

shpirtshqipe wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:03 am
userDoesNotExist wrote:
Paying taxes is the norm and obligation in ANY country and us immigrants included are not “doing them a favour” to this rule so your argument is deeply flawed my friend.
It absolutely is a benefit because the freedom one gets (talking non EU here developing countries like mine) whose ease of moving anywhere around the world without the need of visas and more bureaucracies…well it is worth it. That’s just an example off the top of my head

Regards
He never mentioned doing an honor. Simple as that, all EU countries wants to collect taxes from non-EU individuals and in return countries want people to not stay in their country forever and just go back. This way they keep the economy going in their country without having the burden of having new citizens therefore increasing the load on social welfare.

About choosing countries. Which one would you choose: Ireland that gives citizenship if you have 5 year residence in last 9 years (which is super generous compared to other EU countries) with no exam and challenge (apart from the new paper collection for scoreboard approach). OR you can try to be Switzerland citizen which requires 10 years of residence and knowledge of 3 languages (as they have 3 official languages). The passport power of the both countries are same or equal. But it's much more challenging to be Swiss citizen. Or another tax haven country Luxembourg, you have be resident of 8 years with language knowledge to be citizen. So if you do compare these countries now, don't you think Ireland is much easier and would be preferred more by non-citizens?

The reason immigrants comes to this country is multi national companies setting up their headquarters here due to fact of low tax rates offered to them. In return Ireland takes much higher tax rate from the immigrants, to keep their system going. Immigrants in middle class here is just supporting social welfare system to go on with the taxes they pay.

Long story short, yes there is a fact that people choose which country to live in as immigrant. And high rent prices are the main reason people change their mind of relocating to Ireland.

Jumbo Breakfast Role
Newly Registered
Isle of Man

Post by Jumbo Breakfast Role » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:33 pm

userDoesNotExist wrote:
No one is ignoring the fact that "a lot of highly skilled" workers are paying a lot of tax (Most of them are from within the EU , and they do not need Irish Citizenship )

Respectively, what YOU, an a Non EU migrant seem to ignore is that they come to Ireland for work and good pay and apply for work permits ( Of course Non EUs may be spouses of Irish /EU Citizens too) .

They are NOT told nor are they promised that they will be granted citizenship later.

It is an entirely different form of status. Them not getting citizenship won't effect their residency rights - bear in mind after 5 years, permanent residency seeks to given them strong protections.

" I am non-EU and could have chosen any other country to move to but decided on Ireland"

Respectively What is your point ? Ireland would have found someone else to take your place, no matter how highly skilled you claim to be . That is capitalisms, baby. Few if any are irreplaceable. Who ever advised you to come to Ireland because it was "easier" to get citizenship really let you down. Citizenship is a privilege , not a right. It is at the discretion of the Minister .

Reality is , in comparison to several nations that I mentioned above, Ireland's criteria is far too liberal and unnecessarily so. There is a public perception that Irish Citizenship is handed out like confetti. Whatever about keeping the 5 years (I would accept that, just) the Government need to set out exams and evidence of language competency (English language)

"So for that people saying "It is a benefit or honor" - Well is not that simple."

IT IS THAT SIMPLE !

The original post made the argument, as he is entitled to, by claiming that If Ireland insisted on increasing the residency conditions and or demanding exams, that would see a reduction of non eu migrants coming . That is utter nonsense, for reasons I already set out.