ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Naturalisation Application - Absence in last 5 or 3 years - Interpretation of Form 8 Question 5.6

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

abc321xyz
Newly Registered
Ireland

Spouse Naturalisation Application - Absence in last 5 or 3 years - Interpretation of Form 8 Question 5.6

Post by abc321xyz » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:59 pm

Please could you clarify how question 5.6 on Form 8 for naturalisation applies to an applicant of an Irish Spouse.

Question 5.6: "Have you been absent from the State for more than 6 weeks per annum in any of the past 5 years?"

Specifically my question is, when calculating the earliest eligibility date for a naturalisation application, should my reckonable residency deduct absences that exceed 6 weeks per annum in the past 5 or 3 years of my residency in Ireland? i.e. Given a spouse based application differs from that of an 5 year resident applicant, will absences within the last five years or just the last three years be considered against my reckonable residence?

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Spouse Naturalisation Application - Absence in last 5 or 3 years - Interpretation of Form 8 Question 5.6

Post by Vorona » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:00 pm

In the past 5 years, if you have lived here for 5 years. This requirement applies to everyone, even to spouses of Irish citizens.

BaboiDamo
Greece

Re: Spouse Naturalisation Application - Absence in last 5 or 3 years - Interpretation of Form 8 Question 5.6

Post by BaboiDamo » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:41 am

abc321xyz wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:59 pm
Please could you clarify how question 5.6 on Form 8 for naturalisation applies to an applicant of an Irish Spouse.

Question 5.6: "Have you been absent from the State for more than 6 weeks per annum in any of the past 5 years?"

Specifically my question is, when calculating the earliest eligibility date for a naturalisation application, should my reckonable residency deduct absences that exceed 6 weeks per annum in the past 5 or 3 years of my residency in Ireland? i.e. Given a spouse based application differs from that of an 5 year resident applicant, will absences within the last five years or just the last three years be considered against my reckonable residence?
In my opinion, the question does not apply to the spouse of an Irish citizen, since you need to have at least 3 years of reckonable residence to be eligible, not 5.
Personally, I would answer based on the 3 years only.

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:54 pm

You can email and ask the ISD but if the forms ask 5 years detail , I won’t assume and give 3 years information as it will be false information and can impact your application.

Jumbo Breakfast Role
Newly Registered
Isle of Man

Post by Jumbo Breakfast Role » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:16 pm

Even if you based the application on marriage to an Irish national, unless you came to Ireland with the Irish spouse (and married elsewhere) in all likelihood you would have spent at least another 1-2 years in Ireland before the Marriage, whether legally or illegally.

The question is simply, 5 years............ no link to the basis . In the case of a person married to an Irish national and have been living in Ireland for 4.5 years and for whatever reason , he has yet to apply for citizenship, having an aggregate of 5 years might be usual if he was out of the country for 2 months in the 2nd year of residency in Ireland with the Irish spouse ........