ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Action after citizenship granted

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Harley06
San Marino

Action after citizenship granted

Post by Harley06 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:55 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if I need to let know EU Treaty that my naturalization application is approved and I am an Irish citizen now?

Thank you

Nala2021
Greece

Re: Action after citizenship granted

Post by Nala2021 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:05 pm

Are you trying to rub it in lol? :lol: :lol: :lol: spare a thought for us who are still waiting :lol: :lol:

Back to seriousness now, I wouldn't assume that that would be necessary. For example you won't reapply for EU3 treaty rights anyway as you now have the citizenship.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:32 pm

As they know everything about you and you send your IRP in, I'd expect them to notify EU Treaty that you're an Irish citizen.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

BaboiDamo
Greece

Post by BaboiDamo » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:57 pm

Harley06 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:55 pm
Hi All,

I was wondering if I need to let know EU Treaty that my naturalization application is approved and I am an Irish citizen now?

Thank you
Congratulations :)

Harley06
San Marino

Post by Harley06 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:18 pm

ahah :) believe me the process is like everyone on this forum was a nightmare for me too. However, I can definitely say that doing all this via solicitor was a best choice for me. It definitely reduced the processing time. I hope all of you guys will hear good news soon.

About letting know EU Treaty, I thought the same, just wanted to get an opinion. :)
Nala2021 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:05 pm
Are you trying to rub it in lol? :lol: :lol: spare a thought for us who are still waiting

Back to seriousness now, I wouldn't assume that that would be necessary. For example you won't reapply for EU3 treaty rights anyway as you now have the citizenship.

Harley06
San Marino

Post by Harley06 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:18 pm

Thank you :)
BaboiDamo wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:57 pm
Harley06 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:55 pm
Hi All,

Thank you
Congratulations :)

cleire8
Newly Registered

Post by cleire8 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:22 pm

Harley06 wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:18 pm
ahah :) believe me the process is like everyone on this forum was a nightmare for me too. However, I can definitely say that doing all this via solicitor was a best choice for me. It definitely reduced the processing time. I hope all of you guys will hear good news soon.

How do you draw the conclusion that using a solicitor reduced your processing time?
What did your solicitor do on your behalf after signing / witnessing your application form and submitting it?

StarKing
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by StarKing » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:10 pm

Mine hasn’t done anything relevant to the process and it’s been almost 1 year since I applied. She sometimes answers some of my questions, but so far, a solicitor hasn’t helped at all. So I would also be interested in that reply…

Nala2021
Greece

Post by Nala2021 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:51 pm

Well I tossed and turned regarding getting a solicitor for the application, even booked an appointment, but then I changed my mind. Got the signatures needed only and compiled it and sent it off myself. Sometimes I still wonder about the potential use of a solicitor in that regard, and so I am interested in the answer too.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:55 pm

I applied using a solicitor, which is used by colleagues so I went there by reference. Gave the whole bunch of documents and answer to the questions and she did the rest. I just signed the last page of the form and that was it.

I don't think there is any solid way to be sure that using solicitor makes any difference. There are few points of course: Like knowing answers to some of the stuff you are not sure about. It's your first time applying but solicitor did that many times before. And there are few tricks that they might be aware of.

Like, I heard from few other people that, ISD asked for the papers (like P60) which was already sent with the application documents. But for some reason they managed to lost it. :lol: My friend that didn't used solicitor, had to send the same P60 document again. And my other colleague's solicitor, simply said that "look we made you a list of documents we sent with the application, and we signed that paper, which makes it official. So it's your duty to find it". And suddenly ISD found the document and there was no need to send anything back.

I don't think solicitor makes a miracle, it just prevents the delays (you forgot to add smth to document and you need to add it later on), or for making things more organized. But all the other people around me simply said this "if your application is straightforward, like nothing illegal, no undocumented time in Ireland etc." you don't need a solicitor. But I just paid for the peace of mind. Of course price of the solicitor has an effect on the decision also.

But anyways I don't think there is enough evidence to say that "using solicitor makes your application processed quicker."

Harley06
San Marino

Post by Harley06 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:36 pm

I was thinking exactly like you guys before applying for naturalization. However, 3-4 close friend that applied for naturalization had long wait and they all went individually, some of them waited like 3-4 years. I don’t know what to say but with solicitor name present, I think can give some push to them. Obviously it’s not the case for every application. Those 3-4 close friends had literally no missing paper, they were perfect with every behavior in Ireland but still some of them waited almost 4 years!! So in my case applying with solicitor made it less than 1.5 year. I hope the system will change someday so no one really need to go to solicitor or anything for a simple naturalization application.

Nala2021
Greece

Post by Nala2021 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:10 pm

I have to say that on some level, I am becoming increasingly worried and also uncomfortable when hearing stories of applications that have nothing missing, no level of complication, no issues with police clearance(s) either in the Republic of Ireland or abroad, full communication(s) with the department, replying within a reasonable time, nothing 'wrong' at all (and I put wrong in quotes as I do not want to offend anyone at all), and still have taken over 2 years, or petrifyingly between 3-4 years to process. I mean, is there a cabinet or room, or container, or place of some sort that INIS take applications and sort of, just, dump them in there to 'mature' like a wine or something?!? :shock:

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:03 pm

There are some countries that are in the flagged list or whatever they call it. So practically, if you are citizen of those non-EU countries, your application takes much longer, even there is no problem with your application.

One of my friend's flatmate's application took around 3 years, before covid-19 happened. Practically, they spent a long time processing his application. There was no problem, and the guy kept sending letters to ISD and he got an answer like "stop contacting us and we will let you know if we need anything". And eventually he got the Irish citizenship.

He didn't go thru JR or FOI way nor he didn't use solicitor (as far as I know). At this point (I mean after the application) there is nothing to do for the first year, then you can fill a FOI request then you can start threatening with going JR way but I think it should be around 2 years to start doing that.

cleire8
Newly Registered

Post by cleire8 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:28 pm

I really cannot imagine any logical or practical way that it speeds up the process (assuming both applications are fully complete) - eg using a solicitor send off your application vs sending it yourself . You are not going to have your Garda vetting or documentation checked any faster just because a legal professional sent in your application.

The only thing I can see having an impact is if you are chasing up the department regarding you application that they may interpret that you are more "serious" by engaging correspondence with them by way of legal representation and try and deal with your application faster, for fear of ending up in JR. But that's probably it. And even then we are talking 18+ months when they will attempt to take the correspondence seriously as their timeline for processing the application is now 23 months (just before you are legally allowed to apply for JR).

Covid aside, the whole department + application process is a mess. Very little transparency at all and feels like they are making it up as they go along. It's basically equivalent of rolling an 8 ball. So many parts of the process not digitized, communication missed or non-existent, copy/paste email responses to complaints not addressing the actual concerns (that's if you are lucky to get a response in the first place).

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:37 pm

simple maths, suppose if department gets 1000 application then they get = 1000 application * 1000 euro per application = 1000000 euros, in this money they can have atleast 15+ staff.

Now, 260 working days * 15 staff = 3900 days work.

So, if staff spend on an average 3-4 days on application they can process all application in an year.

But processing time stated is 23 months :(
cleire8 wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:28 pm
I really cannot imagine any logical or practical way that speeds up the process (assuming both applications are fully complete) - eg using a solicitor send off your application vs sending it yourself . You are not going to have your Garda vetting or documentation checked any faster just because a legal professional sent in your n application.

The only thing I can see having an impact is if you are chasing up the department regarding you application that they may interpret that you are more "serious" by engaging correspondence with them by way of legal representation and try and deal with your application faster, for fear of ending up in JR. But that's probably it. And even then we are talking 18+ months when they will attempt to take the correspondence seriously as their timeline for processing the application is now 23 months (just before you are legally allowed to apply for JR).

Covid aside, the whole department + application process is a mess. Very little transparency at all and feels like they are making it up as they go along. It's basically equivalent of rolling an 8 ball. So many parts of the process not digitized, communication missed or non-existent, copy/paste email responses to complaints not addressing the actual concerns (that's if you are lucky to get a response in the first place).

_pikachu
Mood:
United States of America

Post by _pikachu » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:19 pm

1. I have the same question. Am I inform my local immigration department?

2. I think applications were seriously delayed due to the high court case that shut down the processing of new applications in 2019, the increase of people applying as Brexit loomed, and then covid19. I applied a week before the first lockdown 2020 and got approved last week. I didn't use a solicitor. I'm fine with the wait time, as it all worked out in the end. It's nice that the wait time took place during the pandemic, when life slowed down, and that it finished processing for me early in the year.