ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application of Spouse's Naturalization

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, Administrator

klick02
Newly Registered
Ireland

Application of Spouse's Naturalization

Post by klick02 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:54 pm

Hello,
I became a naturalized Irish citizen last year (2021), and I wish to apply for my wife's naturalization. We have been married 4 years. She has been resident in Ireland since 2013 and has been working. She can apply on her own as well, as she has completed 5 years of reckonable residence. But would it be beneficial to apply as spouse of Irish citizen?
Thanks

meself2
Ireland

Re: Application of Spouse's Naturalization

Post by meself2 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:16 pm

I would say SIN (Spouse of Irish National) naturalization criteria are less strict (I think one or two items for residency proof is counted higher and you only need to provide it for 3 years) so in theory it would be better to apply as SIN. Not sure if you can, though, to be honest, so let's wait for others to clarify it.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

avta
Ireland

Post by avta » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:01 am

Hey,

She will be eligible for SIN patch only in 2024. The clock is starting when you become Irish, not when you married. So you can wait for another 2-3 years or use normal approach.

mmsa
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by mmsa » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:39 am

This is incorrect. She can apply for as spouse of Irish citizen straight away as you are now naturalised and you have been together in ireland for more than 3 years. This topic has been covered many times before on this forum. Happy for others to confirm

Smilemee
Ireland

Post by Smilemee » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:07 am

avta wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:01 am
Hey,

She will be eligible for SIN patch only in 2024. The clock is starting when you become Irish, not when you married. So you can wait for another 2-3 years or use normal approach.
Your statement is incorrect .. being married 3 years before application is required

avta
Ireland

Post by avta » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:22 am

Smilemee wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:07 am
avta wrote:
Hey,

Your statement is incorrect .. being married 3 years before application is required
Really? The official's links mentioned follow:
"Have been married to, or in a civil partnership with, an _Irish_citizen_for_3_years" or in the application:
"Note, you must be married / in a civil partnership _to_the_Irish_citizen_for_not_less_than_3_years, and
be living together at the date of making an application and have the required residency in the
island of Ireland"

I don't see there any exceptions or any words about the application date you mention.
There are nothing like being married for 3 years to NON-EU and 1 day to Irish Citizen to be eligible...
Do you have any official proof for your statement?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:18 am

avta wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:22 am
Smilemee wrote:
avta wrote:
Hey,

"Have been married to, or in a civil partnership with, an _Irish_citizen_for_3_years" or in the application:
"Note, you must be married / in a civil partnership _to_the_Irish_citizen_for_not_less_than_3_years, and
be living together at the date of making an application and have the required residency in the
island of Ireland"

I don't see there any exceptions or any words about the application date you mention.
There are nothing like being married for 3 years to NON-EU and 1 day to Irish Citizen to be eligible...
The ambiguity in policy wordings has always been a beauty. It has always been creating confusions. INIS is well aware of it but decided not to clarify it at all.

Based on previous experience reported and individual replies from their support staff, it is allowed even if the sponsor has just become a naturalised citizen for a day.

Smilemee
Ireland

Post by Smilemee » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:25 pm

avta wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:22 am
Smilemee wrote:
avta wrote:
Hey,

island of Ireland"

I have witnessed many cases and I'm sure about it. It doesn't say the exception. Same is with the case of child born.
If a person on stamp 4 is 1 day less then 3 years his or her child born in Ireland is not eligible for Irish passport by birth. But if the baby is born 1 day after one of his/her parent has completed 3 years with stamp 4, the baby is eligible for Irish passport by birth.. how about that ?