ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long does it take Gnib to arrive?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

iceice855
Newly Registered
Ireland

How long does it take Gnib to arrive?

Post by iceice855 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:18 am

Hi everyone, I have been waiting for the third week now since I registered for gnib via local garda office, it used to be around 10 working days before now. Anyone with any recent experience please share. How long you waited and is this the new way it works now?

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Re: How long does it take Gnib to arrive?

Post by mentalmind » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:42 am

2.5 weeks for Cork, got the information from station today.
iceice855 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:18 am
and is this the new way it works now?
Just be happy that you could renew at your local garda station, if you were in Dublin, it would be even more frustrating.

iceice855
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by iceice855 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:51 am

This is crazy times, it used to be quicker before

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:58 am

All of the Ireland's IT systems are outdated, immigration, hospital etc. etc. They were supposed to upgrade their system really slowly but Covid hit it extra hard. This sentence is told to me by a commissioner of oath. And I %100 agree with it.

Same reason we have to go to Garda station for renewal in person, same reason hospital appointment system is so bad and also same reason bcs we need to put tax discs to car front window. They used to have disk on car window system in my home country in 1990s, when I was kid.

Irish immigration is also super strict, offering only 1 year residence for stamp 1 holders, asking for re-entry visa (thankfully it's no more) puts extra load on their system. So right now they can barely manage to do renewals and there is tons of people trying to register for the first time. There is no substitute system.

I am having panic attacks bcs if I can't get appointment time from Garda station and if I need to travel somewhere (for emergency reasons) I won't be able to get into the country and all other scenario. I am residing in Ireland for 6 years, but I feel I got 10 years older just bcs of dealing with all of the immigration things, call it re-entry visa, IRP cards, long term residency, naturalization application etc.

Two words to describe Ireland's current situation of immigration system: s**t show

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:02 pm

Was a bit surprised they recruited more people to passport office but not to ISD (I hope I didn't see it), since yeah, there is a lot of backlog and such. They are making progress in the city which, I suppose, is the main bulk of applications (electronic system and all), but it just creates new problems such as vanishing applications.
Do you have to a specific station, @mentalmind, or can you pick and choose from ones in your county/area?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:12 pm

There is 1 station per area, for Cork city, it's Anglesea street. I don't know about rest of Cork county, but only 1 station is allowed per region to handle renewals and registrations.

Story time: Before Covid hit it hard, I believe Irish government made a new deal for students in some countries (this is my guess) because there was suuuuuper long lines in Garda station. And Garda wasn't "modern" like emails and appointment systems. So people were getting in line in Garda station with camp chairs to be able to get a chance to register themselves. Everyday, around 8 oclock in the morning, some garda would come out, give people in line some numbered ticket. If you have the number, you are lucky and can get renewal. If they ran out of tickets, it means no appointment for you that day.

If you check google for Anglesea Garda station, you can see the reviews and photos of the lines of people in camp chairs.

Ireland loves collecting all the sweet money from immigration and yet still use 3 person to do registrations. No improvement of their system, not even hiring more people. Before this huge f*** up, their working time was 09:30 - 12:00, and 14:00 - 16:00. When people were having all the chaos they were working only for 4 hours per day. Now, they have so huge backlog that they work 7 days a week from 8 till 19 or 20 o'clock, just to get rid of the backlog.

And the only thing has changed is (between 2018 and 2021) now you need to send an email to get an appointment, where they give you an appointment for a month later. No online system introduction, nothing.

As a skilled immigrant, I am treated like a piece of s*** by the Irish government, no proper renewal system, no proper online system, nothing. But their system works to charge me €300 each year for renewal fee.

iceice855
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by iceice855 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:25 pm

Just an update, I got the IRP today. 14 working days after registration.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:00 pm

The time for receipt is no longer 10 days, but it is 3 weeks..
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:06 pm

Approval email (Dublin) says card "should arrive in 5-10 working days", and if no card arrived in 10 days - email Burgh Quay about it. Let's see how long it takes.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

luxurylemon
Ireland

Post by luxurylemon » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:40 pm

Does anyone else have any recent experience on how long the GNIB card took to arrive?

We have my husbands renewal this weekend (outside Dublin) so we bring all the documents with us and get approval (or not) on the day. Normally its just 2 weeks after this for the card to arrive.
We are traveling in June though (8 weeks time). I hope we should have the card back by then..
OP was about 3 weeks so hopefully this is about the current timeline.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:26 am

luxurylemon wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:40 pm
Does anyone else have any recent experience on how long the GNIB card took to arrive?

We have my husbands renewal this weekend (outside Dublin) so we bring all the documents with us and get approval (or not) on the day. Normally its just 2 weeks after this for the card to arrive.
We are traveling in June though (8 weeks time). I hope we should have the card back by then..
OP was about 3 weeks so hopefully this is about the current timeline.
I applied on 8th of April, will keep you updated when I get mine in Cork city.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:13 pm

Dublin - 8 working days after approval email.

juanpurple
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by juanpurple » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:26 am

Dublin - 7 working days after approval email.

larougastro
Newly Registered
Mood:
Spain

Post by larougastro » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:33 pm

I've submitted my IRP renewal application online on 06/04/2022. I have received acknowledgment email from them but have heard nothing or received anything since then.