ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Long Term Irish Visa for Naturalised Citizens who don't have Irish Passport

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

GoWentGone123
Mood:
Ireland

Long Term Irish Visa for Naturalised Citizens who don't have Irish Passport

Post by GoWentGone123 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:38 pm

Hi guys! I have Irish Citizenship but not Irish Passport. I would like to have a long term Multiple Entry Irish Visa if there is one. Can anyone throw light on this, it's cost and if it can be applied from abroad? Thanks

nisi
Ireland

Re: Long Term Irish Visa for Naturalised Citizens who don't have Irish Passport

Post by nisi » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:53 am

As an Irish Citizen, I don't think there's any category of Visa you can apply for. You don't need a Visa to enter or stay in Ireland, just your citizenship, the easiest way to prove your entitlement to this is with an Irish Passport.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:57 am

You can try to go for Stamp 6, but that will probably not satisfy the airline when you'll be attempting to board a flight to Ireland. If you really need to leave the country between citizenship and passport, they can give you a single entry visa (which won't be easy to get), but I think that's the most you can get.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

GoWentGone123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by GoWentGone123 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:24 pm

may be someone can guide how come Stamp 6 might not be accepted by someone airlines?
on a different note, single entry visas are quite straightforward and easy if you have valid reason to fly.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:45 pm

GoWentGone123 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:24 pm
may be someone can guide how come Stamp 6 might not be accepted by someone airlines?
Stamp 6 is infrequent and airlines will, probably, have no idea what is this and if it's ok to board you on the flight. Some might not take the risk of paying fees if it will turn out you won't have legal right to be in Ireland.
on a different note, single entry visas are quite straightforward and easy if you have valid reason to fly.
From what I know, it's not easy to get one from inside the country since IRP replaced the need for them.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:00 pm

It undermines the entire point of stamp 6, if airlines dont accept it. The Irish government has a duty to explain it to airlines.

The equivalent of a right of Abode, that is issued to British citizen on their foreign passport is accepted by airlines.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:32 pm

Obie wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:00 pm
It undermines the entire point of stamp 6, if airlines dont accept it. The Irish government has a duty to explain it to airlines.

The equivalent of a right of Abode, that is issued to British citizen on their foreign passport is accepted by airlines.
ireland/stamp-6-t309354.html
They mentioned you need to apply for re-entry visa if you want to go abroad before they shut down inis.gov.ie website, but this page is gone now. Have this instead - ireland/requirement-eligibility-for-re- ... 17351.html
You might be able to explain your condition to airlines, but I wouldn't bank on it tbh.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:35 pm

It is absurd, to require a citizen to apply for reentry visa. It makes a mockery of stamp 6 and put stamp 6 beneficiaries in a disadvantageous position to other stamp holders who do not require a reentry visa.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:22 pm

Obie wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:35 pm
It is absurd, to require a citizen to apply for reentry visa. It makes a mockery of stamp 6 and put stamp 6 beneficiaries in a disadvantageous position to other stamp holders who do not require a reentry visa.
Yep, hence almost no one goes for it - no benefits and you're without a passport for a week or so.
The gov seems to expect everyone will go for a passport, but even now with passport applications taking months it's a headache. It's also a rubber stamp from what I know, unlike CoE-RoA vignette, doesn't even look trustworthy.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:41 pm

Obie wrote:
I think the main issue is airlines and foreign countries’ exit controls do not recognise anything other than a visa sticker or IRP card. A stamp in the passport means nothing to them. I don’t understand why people have to apply for re-entry visas separately though. Dual nationals should just be given a re-entry visa sticker in their passport once they produce a foreign passport and their entitlement to the Irish citizenship. All the extra steps are simply burdens to both applicants and the government.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:07 am

littlerr wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:41 pm
Obie wrote:
I think the main issue is airlines and foreign countries’ exit controls do not recognise anything other than a visa sticker or IRP card. A stamp in the passport means nothing to them. I don’t understand why people have to apply for re-entry visas separately though. Dual nationals should just be given a re-entry visa sticker in their passport once they produce a foreign passport and their entitlement to the Irish citizenship. All the extra steps are simply burdens to both applicants and the government.
I absolutely agree, the whole idea is to ensure that citizens who want to use a foreign passport are able to travel in and out of the state without difficulties.

If you are going to require them to apply for reentry each time, when they are a citizen, then what is the point of stamp 6.

Does not make any sense.

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:20 am

Obie wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:07 am
littlerr wrote:
Obie wrote:
I absolutely agree, the whole idea is to ensure that citizens who want to use a foreign passport are able to travel in and out of the state without difficulties.

If you are going to require them to apply for reentry each time, when they are a citizen, then what is the point of stamp 6.

Does not make any sense.
Hey Obie / littlerr,

Didn’t want to create a new topic.

Can we live and work in other EU countries (exercise EU Treaty Rights) with just Stamp 6 and Irish Naturalisation Certificate without Irish Passport?

Just curious.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:26 pm

raja.brit wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:20 am
Obie wrote:
littlerr wrote:
Obie wrote:

Does not make any sense.
Hey Obie / littlerr,

Can we live and work in other EU countries (exercise EU Treaty Rights) with just Stamp 6 and Irish Naturalisation Certificate without Irish Passport?

Just curious.
You cannot use Stamp 6 to travel or live abroad. It is valid and recognised in Ireland only.

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:23 pm

littlerr wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:26 pm
raja.brit wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:20 am
Obie wrote:
littlerr wrote:
Obie wrote:

Does not make any sense.
Hey Obie / littlerr,

Just curious.
You cannot use Stamp 6 to travel or live abroad. It is valid and recognised in Ireland only.
Nice one, cheers Kind Sir, 😊