ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Could Irish passports get stamped at EU airports?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

_pikachu
Mood:
United States of America

Could Irish passports get stamped at EU airports?

Post by _pikachu » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:49 pm

I don't want to use my US passport for upcoming EU holidays because Ryanair requires US passports to be checked at the front desk prior to boarding. With how hectic airports are at the moment, using my Irish passport would be convenient.

I like getting my passport stamped as a souvenir though, so I'm wondering if an Irish passport could get stamped at EU airports.

vinny

Re: Could Irish passports get stamped at EU airports?

Post by vinny » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:01 am

They don’t normally stamp EU passports. But you may ask them?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

G Dog
Ireland

Post by G Dog » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:52 am

EU passports don't get stamped at EU airports. To get a stamp you'd have to join the queue for non EU nationals. I guess it's really up to you if you want to do that.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:51 am

It will go against the treaty rules for an EU state to stamp the passport of memberstates citizen. This is prohibited.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

corky100

Post by corky100 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:37 am

At schipol airport, a friend asked for his British passport (pre-brexit) to be stamped, he got a puzzled look from the border guard then a "yeah sure". Just ask for a stamp as a souvenir, it's no skin off the border guards nose.

G Dog
Ireland

Post by G Dog » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:10 am

corky100 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:37 am
At schipol airport, a friend asked for his British passport (pre-brexit) to be stamped, he got a puzzled look from the border guard then a "yeah sure". Just ask for a stamp as a souvenir, it's no skin off the border guards nose.
British passports should all be getting stamped now, whether it be a pre-Brexit or post-Brexit one.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:32 pm

While you cannot get an EU passport to be stamped at an EU airport under official rules, you can simply ask them to stamp your passport as a souvenir. There is no guarantee that the officer will agree to it though.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:34 pm

G Dog wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:10 am
corky100 wrote:
British passports should all be getting stamped now, whether it be a pre-Brexit or post-Brexit one.
British passports will no longer be stamped at EU airports as all information will be stored electronically instead from May.

G Dog
Ireland

Post by G Dog » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:44 pm

littlerr wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:34 pm
G Dog wrote:
corky100 wrote:
British passports will no longer be stamped at EU airports as all information will be stored electronically instead from May.
I currently have a UK Passport. So far this year I have been to the EU 3 times - twice to Spain and once to the Netherlands. Each time I have had to go through passport control and get it stamped on entry and departure

input-output
Armenia

Post by input-output » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:52 pm

Obie wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:51 am
It will go against the treaty rules for an EU state to stamp the passport of memberstates citizen. This is prohibited.
My daughter (an Irish citizen) had a stamp applied in her passport in italy in 2019. Plenty of 'mi scuzi' once we pointed out to the immigration officer's oversight

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:12 pm

G Dog wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:44 pm
littlerr wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:34 pm
G Dog wrote:
corky100 wrote:
I currently have a UK Passport. So far this year I have been to the EU 3 times - twice to Spain and once to the Netherlands. Each time I have had to go through passport control and get it stamped on entry and departure
As I said, from May for most EU countries.

I am actually in Spain right now and I can see that most British people are now going through automated gates without having their passport stamped.

This new policy applies to all non-EU travellers. Not just Brits. Some countries may choose to delay the implementation, but eventually all countries must start using the new EES system.

Brits will continue to have their fingerprints and photos taken.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:39 pm

Just to correct myself, non-EU travellers are still getting their passports stamped at the moment. They go through an automated machine to have their fingerprints and photo taken.

Then at the end of it, an officer simply stamps anyone that walks out of the machine, for regulatory purposes. I suppose the OP can simply get that person to stamp it, as the person doesn’t really care what type of passports they are stamping - they are simply stamping everyone.

_pikachu
Mood:
United States of America

Post by _pikachu » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:00 pm

littlerr wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:39 pm
Just to correct myself, non-EU travellers are still getting their passports stamped at the moment. They go through an automated machine to have their fingerprints and photo taken.

Then at the end of it, an officer simply stamps anyone that walks out of the machine, for regulatory purposes. I suppose the OP can simply get that person to stamp it, as the person doesn’t really care what type of passports they are stamping - they are simply stamping everyone.
Does every airport have that picture taking, scanning fingerprints machine? I recall only being subjected to it when entering the US

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:28 am

_pikachu wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:00 pm
littlerr wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:39 pm

Does every airport have that picture taking, scanning fingerprints machine? I recall only being subjected to it when entering the US
Under the new EES system, all EU countries must comply with the new requirements - that is, for all non-EU short-visit travellers, they need to have their fingerprints and photo taken, passport scanned, and entry and exit date recorded electronically.

It doesn’t say whether it must use an automated machine, but they surely will speed things up. In Mallorca airport that I saw this week, they have installed around 20 automated machines whereas previously the same space would only accommodate 6-8 officers. The decision-making by computers is also quicker, more efficient and accurate in the general sense. People only need to visit an officer if the machine doesn’t let them go through.

Minors will continue having to go through an officer, so there will still be officers there in every airport.