ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Outside the State for 6+ weeks after application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lilberto
Newly Registered
Ireland

Outside the State for 6+ weeks after application

Post by lilberto » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:24 pm

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/how-to- ... alisation/

Toward the bottom of the webpage, it states "If you are outside the State for longer than 6 weeks after you submit your application, you must notify ISD by letter or email to explain why."

Does this mean a block of consecutive weeks longer than 6 weeks, or total time (in say a year) longer than 6 weeks? I assume the former, for reasons such as they send you information via post and you're not at your residence to see it and respond. Would appreciate any clarification or opinions.

I'm planning a trip back home for just over 6 weeks, approx 3 months after I submit the application. Based on current timelines of applications being acknowledged/processed taking 6 months, I don't suspect it being a problem (my risk, I know).

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Re: Outside the State for 6+ weeks after application

Post by mentalmind » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:55 pm

You can leave State up to 6 weeks in a year without any problem, this "in a year" has 2 different interpreation and no official answer: 1 year as in 1.1.2021 - 1.1.2022 and other interpreation is 1 year between your immigration stamp date on your passport. As in you renewed your IRP and its valid between 06.07.2021 - 06.07.2022. But there is no offical answer.

Same rule applies for naturalization application. If you leave more than 6 weeks in a year (again not sure if 1 year counts from your application date or 01.01.2022) you need to notify them. No one knows what it is it for, or if it causes any issues or problems.

So if your outside of State days exceed 42 days (excludes your departure and arrival dates) you need to notify them.

It's not related with you not being able to see or respond anything, if you get a letter, if you are at home or not, you need to respond in 28 days/30 days, or your application will be in risk.

rufusr
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by rufusr » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:18 am

I was outside the state for approx 8 weeks after submitting my application - I emailed the relevant dept to inform them this was my intention and the reasons for the extended trip. They acknowledged receipt of the information and requested that I let them know when I was back in the state with final details of travel (I think I sent them my flight booking).
They didn't ever specifically say that all was in order, but I have since received my approval letter so this absence during the processing time didn't seem to have any negative impact on my application. My take is it's just better to follow the rules and let them know rather than having any issues after the fact.
Hope all goes smoothly for you!

lilberto
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by lilberto » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:49 pm

Thanks both for your replies. Nothing has been booked yet and I don't intend to apply for citizenship until Jan 2023.

The total time out of state over a period of 12 months post-application will likely be 13-14 weeks total, a 5 week period and a 8 week period. I will comply with the website guidelines and inform them, but the reasons will be an opportunity to complete an international work placement over 5 weeks and the 8 week trip will be a one-time opportunity to visit family and take a long break between the end of study and beginning of employment here in Ireland. While the total time is long, the reasons are genuine and in my opinion, fair. Hopefully they see it the same!