ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

permission to remain

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:42 am

The land border with the UK is not (usually) monitored.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

astrid
Newly Registered

Post by astrid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:49 am

Since the 1st of July all visitors through Dublin Airport are having a "non renewable" stamp put in their passport. Therefore if you arrive as a visitor your permission to remain cannot be extended by an immigration officer. You will have to leave and re-enter after 90 days.
I've entered twice since July 1st. Once as a visitor, and got the non-renewable stamp. The second time I entered with my new green card in hand and got the regular stamp, with instructions to register.

If you were entering with the intention of seeking permission to extend your stay for 6 months you would need to declare that intention to the officer at the airport (and have a return ticket in hand), so you get the stamp that can be renewed by GNIB.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:33 am

if you tell immigration officer at the airport, that you are coming as a visitor, you would get a non-renewable stamp in your passport. therefore, you should tell at the airport the actual reason for your arrival.

sophie4187

Post by sophie4187 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:07 pm

Hah, great now I'm confused! I thought I just got the 90 day stamp and then within the first few days I was supposed to go to the garda station and ask for an extension in the form of a permission to remain? That changed now?

sophie4187

Post by sophie4187 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:12 pm

Ok, nevermind, sorry, I think I got it.. when I'm coming in this time, I tell the office that stamps my passport that I intend on applying for permission to remain for 6 months? So let's say once that is done and register at the garda station, and do receive a stamp 3 as a visitor for 6 months, can I then before that 6 months is up, apply for the stamp 4 because of my de facto relationship with an Irish citizen?

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:16 pm

sophie4187 wrote:a permission to remain
You are confusing yourself. There is no such thing as "a permission to remain".

If you want to reside in Ireland as a visitor, you first come in as a visitor, with a return ticket stating date of return as three months from entry. GNIB officer then stamps your passport with visitor conditions for three months (Stamp 3).

The day before the three months are up, visit your local GNIB office where an officer *may* extend your visitor conditions (Stamp 3) - this is at his discretion - it's not guaranteed.

If and once you've racked up 2 years with your Irish partner, you can apply for permission to reside as a partner an Irish citizen (Stamp 4).
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

sophie4187

Post by sophie4187 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:20 pm

Ok, you're right! I was. I was just trying to do all this research online and couldn't really figure anything out! Thanks for all your help.