ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

overstayed due to DOJ

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sophie4187

overstayed due to DOJ

Post by sophie4187 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:22 am

hi,

i've been on here talking about my situation in ireland. well, i got here from the united states on january 23 and was due to leave on april 18 on a 90 day tourist stamp. my mom is due to fly in in june so i wanted to see if i could stay until then so i called my local garda superintendent and she told me since it was a 90 day non renewable stamp, i'd have to write a letter to the doj. they received the letter on april 8, 10 days before i was to leave because the superintendent told me it should only take a week. so here i was waiting and waiting, and finally yesterday, may 5, 2 weeks past my date, i received the letter saying they couldn't renew it since it was non renewable. i've only overstayed about 2 weeks and just because i was waiting on the letter which she said was in their hands. if i'm on my way on tuesday, i will surely be let back in a month, if i bring all my correspondence with the DOJ, right? the whole time i kept in contact with the garda superintendent as well. i'm just making sure because i've overstayed a couple of weeks due to not knowing my status, that i will be let back in. any advice would be appreciated!

Aceform
Member of Standing

Re: overstayed due to DOJ

Post by Aceform » Fri May 14, 2010 12:24 pm

sophie4187 wrote:hi,

i've been on here talking about my situation in ireland. well, i got here from the united states on january 23 and was due to leave on april 18 on a 90 day tourist stamp. my mom is due to fly in in june so i wanted to see if i could stay until then so i called my local garda superintendent and she told me since it was a 90 day non renewable stamp, i'd have to write a letter to the doj. they received the letter on april 8, 10 days before i was to leave because the superintendent told me it should only take a week. so here i was waiting and waiting, and finally yesterday, may 5, 2 weeks past my date, i received the letter saying they couldn't renew it since it was non renewable. i've only overstayed about 2 weeks and just because i was waiting on the letter which she said was in their hands. if i'm on my way on tuesday, i will surely be let back in a month, if i bring all my correspondence with the DOJ, right? the whole time i kept in contact with the garda superintendent as well. i'm just making sure because i've overstayed a couple of weeks due to not knowing my status, that i will be let back in. any advice would be appreciated!
Don't think this will be a problem. As far I knnow they won't stamp your passport while leaving the country. And if you are questioned, you have the correspondance with DoJ, so it should be fine

kabuki
United States of America

Re: overstayed due to DOJ

Post by kabuki » Fri May 14, 2010 12:52 pm

sophie4187 wrote:Don't think this will be a problem. As far I knnow they won't stamp your passport while leaving the country. And if you are questioned, you have the correspondence with DoJ, so it should be fine
Ireland will not stamp your passport when you leave, but if you are flying back to the US, then your passport will be stamped for re-entry by US immigration (My Us passport has dated stamps from the Department of Homeland Security - US Customs and Border Protection, which was issued at Dublin airport, as US immigration control takes place before boarding the plane). If you fly to any other country from Ireland, with the exception of the UK, your passport will be stamped when you enter that country. All of this is dated, so it would be wise to bring with you all of the correspondence with the DoJ to be safe. I'd say 9 out of 10 times you won't have any issues, but you may get an immigration officer at the airport who could be a real a** about things. Also, I travelled to Ireland and remained as a visitor for the full 90 days before returning to the US. I remained in the US for 1.5 weeks before returning to Ireland, and when I did return, they only issued me a 1 month visitors stamp.

Best of luck!