ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visit to Ireland for exams etc.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Zebrudaya

Visit to Ireland for exams etc.

Post by Zebrudaya » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:44 pm

Dear colleagues

Please I need help in this problem. I am an overstayer in the UK. I plan to nip across the water and take a few exams in Dublin. My question is this:(1) Is it possible to do so safely without any stamp in my new passport showing that my stay in the UK is still current? (2) Will that little absence ( less than 30 days ) cause the HO to claim that my 14 years stay in the UK hasn`t been continous? (3) When I obtain ILR, do I still require a visa to visit Ireland?

Please the gurus,moderators and members of standing etc should help me by providing answers. Thank you.

fatty patty

Re: Visit to Ireland for exams etc.

Post by fatty patty » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:54 pm

Zebrudaya wrote:Dear colleagues

Please I need help in this problem. I am an overstayer in the UK. I plan to nip across the water and take a few exams in Dublin. My question is this:(1) Is it possible to do so safely without any stamp in my new passport showing that my stay in the UK is still current? (2) Will that little absence ( less than 30 days ) cause the HO to claim that my 14 years stay in the UK hasn`t been continous? (3) When I obtain ILR, do I still require a visa to visit Ireland?

Please the gurus,moderators and members of standing etc should help me by providing answers. Thank you.
1. You can visit Northern Ireland on your UK visa and from there take a bus or train to Republic of Ireland, (this is bending rules and every monkey knows that) there is no border checks or anything. But the question is airlines check passport when you are boarding a plane, they will question you about your current expired UK visa even if you are "only" visiting Belfast.

2. Once you go back and get your stamp extended it will not become an issue in my opinion.

3. You do require a visa to visit Ireland, it doesn't matter what stamp you hold from UK...unless you are a citizen of certain countries whose nationals do not require visa to visit. See below

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=8777

aswadref

Post by aswadref » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:20 pm

mate u will have to be carefull there are sometimes checks on buses or trains as well.

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:31 pm

aswadref wrote:mate u will have to be carefull there are sometimes checks on buses or trains as well.
Since when? I am kinda curious to know...coz it sounds like a world war 2 rubbish where gestapos boarding trains/buses asks for "papier"! :lol: (the rubbish great escape).

But if thats the case then one can always rent-a-car you know...or take a cab from newry to dundalk....or even walk from newry to dundalk. :)

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:14 am

aswadref wrote:mate u will have to be carefull there are sometimes checks on buses or trains as well.
Traditionally, there are cross boarder checks at this time of the year

What you will be doing is illegal. And Patty knows full well, that the website is not suppose to be used for the purpose of aiding and abeiting such activity. Your Emoticons don't share a good light

aswadref

Post by aswadref » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:50 am

aswadref wrote:
mate u will have to be carefull there are sometimes checks on buses or trains as well.

Since when? I am kinda curious to know...coz it sounds like a world war 2 rubbish where gestapos boarding trains/buses asks for "papier"! (the rubbish great escape).

But if thats the case then one can always rent-a-car you know...or take a cab from newry to dundalk....or even walk from newry to dundalk.

my friend was down shopping couple of weeks back he was asked for his passport luckily he had his passport with uk visa so he escaped but not sure it was a regular check or just once off

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:07 pm

walrusgumble wrote:

What you will be doing is illegal. And Patty knows full well, that the website is not suppose to be used for the purpose of aiding and abeiting such activity. Your Emoticons don't share a good light
I am not aiding anyone to be illegal alien, your man asked for advise and people here share their experience, yeah? I lived in louth two years ago and seen for myself how easy it is to do a merry go around without any checks from either side. Friends have taken bus, i have used car, never stopped or asked to show or produce documents. The only checkpoint i came across (after countless of visits back and forth) was PSNI checkpoint in Newry once...and they were checking for tax/insurance and very helpful and guided us towards sainsbury. And in Ireland it was gardai hiding behind the bushes with the speed traps, no immigration. (booze is very cheap in NI i have to say even cheaper than britain for some reason). But again it was two years...maybe their are checks nowadays so i cant say for sure. Although just been to a gig in belfast this july....no checks! maybe i'm just lucky.

Zebrudaya

Post by Zebrudaya » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Dear fatty patty, aswadref and walrusgumble

Thank you for your advice and prompt response. I hope to travel to Dublin to take some professional exams etc. However, as I came to the UK with a visit visa which expired many years ago, I now have a new passport without any stamp on it. This explains why I am asking all these questions. Believe it or not, I had passed the exams in UK, but was prevented from getting registered by my professional body on grounds of discrimination ( age & non-EU ). I can`t fight the institution legally ( no money plus illegal status ), so I am examining the possibility of getting Ireland`s registration and using it to work in UK. This is after I must have got ILR. EU law require all member states to recognise the certificates of all member states etc.

Put another way, my kind advisers are not aiding me in doing anything illegal. I am not an al-quaida muslim fanatic or some body who is ready to destroy other people who don`t follow their religion etc. I am a simple gentleman who overstayed due to discriminatory practices in UK and who just want an avenue to complete his professional training etc.

Thank you.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:44 am

fatty patty wrote:
walrusgumble wrote:

I am not aiding anyone to be illegal alien, your man asked for advise and people here share their experience, yeah? I lived in louth two years ago and seen for myself how easy it is to do a merry go around without any checks from either side. Friends have taken bus, i have used car, never stopped or asked to show or produce documents. The only checkpoint i came across (after countless of visits back and forth) was PSNI checkpoint in Newry once...and they were checking for tax/insurance and very helpful and guided us towards sainsbury. And in Ireland it was gardai hiding behind the bushes with the speed traps, no immigration. (booze is very cheap in NI i have to say even cheaper than britain for some reason). But again it was two years...maybe their are checks nowadays so i cant say for sure. Although just been to a gig in belfast this july....no checks! maybe i'm just lucky.

Lucky? You are a European Citizen, what would you be worried about? The Express Train from Belfast to Dublin does be checked out. Its well known fact that they use to come down via taxis.

OP stay clear from Enniskellin-Donegal Boarder

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:00 am

Zebrudaya wrote:Dear fatty patty, aswadref and walrusgumble

Thank you for your advice and prompt response. I hope to travel to Dublin to take some professional exams etc. However, as I came to the UK with a visit visa which expired many years ago, I now have a new passport without any stamp on it. This explains why I am asking all these questions. Believe it or not, I had passed the exams in UK, but was prevented from getting registered by my professional body on grounds of discrimination ( age & non-EU ). I can`t fight the institution legally ( no money plus illegal status ), so I am examining the possibility of getting Ireland`s registration and using it to work in UK. This is after I must have got ILR. EU law require all member states to recognise the certificates of all member states etc.

Put another way, my kind advisers are not aiding me in doing anything illegal. I am not an al-quaida muslim fanatic or some body who is ready to destroy other people who don`t follow their religion etc. I am a simple gentleman who overstayed due to discriminatory practices in UK and who just want an avenue to complete his professional training etc.

Thank you.
Here is a tip for you, make an application for the relevant visas in order to enter legally the relevant jurisdictions.

No doubt you are very intelligent and smart and passed the exams but you did not update your legal status in the EU. Sorry to point this out, but the EU is not an open shop, quotas etc are in place. So you should not expect people to help you out when you are tyring to cut corners and trying to take the place of other legal non eu people or worse, EU citizens

THe issue of the EU must recongise all ILR? You don't fall into EU law, unless you are a citizen or married/related to a Citizen. You fall within UK immigration laws which in this instance EU have no power to interfere with as the same with Ireland. So what do you mean by that statement?

Why are you bring up the "al-quaida muslim fanatic or some body who is ready to destroy other people who don`t follow their religion etc" statement for? That is your business. If anyone put that to you that would be dearly beloved. No one did. For all we know, you could be a white Christian American, it's none of our business. Don't tell me ye are now putting on the persecutionary complex. Anytime someone is preceived to act prejudice to you , you shout dearly beloved?

Your background has got nothing to do with it. You overstayed in the UK. No doubt you maybe a lovely person, but you are now in breach of UK immigration laws, Why should another EU state reward you. You entered the Uk on the basis that once you do the exams you would leave the UK. You don't meet their criteria for the regulations as there is no need for you as the country is entitled to reserve spaces for their own and other EU's. No different anywhere else. Your option is to try and see can you get sorted in another country, legally.

What discriminatory practices? THe UK is entitled to make sure their own people and then other EU people are looked after first. So will be glad to know that there will be many British people of your religion etc so that issue is moot. When there is shortage of workers, then they will seek out people from non EU states. Before you spout about discriminatory practices, look at your own country first. Can you complete your profession in your own country by the way? What about other states?

I am sure that you know that the 26 counties is a different jurisdiction to the UK and Northern Ireland. You will hardly get a spot prize for pointing out that if you set foot in the 26 counties without proper papers, you are liable to arrest. You will also be expected to show your papers to the Irish examination boards before sitting the exams. The other posters are basicially saying, "ah ye come on over, you will not get caught, you will be grand"

SSEF

Post by SSEF » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:04 pm

fatty patty wrote:
walrusgumble wrote:

Actually you are, this chap has been illegal in the UK for 14 years and wants to get British citizenship under the continuous stay rule, hence him wanting to know if it will mess up his continuous stay in the UK if he goes to Ireland.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:21 pm

Zebrudaya wrote:Dear fatty patty, aswadref and walrusgumble

Thank you.

Your intentions might be benign, but it is upto you to follow appropriate immigration regulations or you migt be considered to have broken the law by appropriate law enforcement agencies with risk of detention and/or deporation. This site is not to be used for soliciting advice on breaking immigration rules and regulations.

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: Visit to Ireland for exams etc.

Post by Ben » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:00 am

Zebrudaya wrote:Dear colleagues

1. "Safely"? Don't know what you mean. You will need a student visa in order to take exams in Ireland. You should apply for this at the Irish embassy in London.

2. Yes.

3. Depends on your nationality.

Note that you will also need a re-entry visa to return to the UK. Oh wait..
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:50 pm

SSEF wrote:
fatty patty wrote:
walrusgumble wrote:

Actually you are, this chap has been illegal in the UK for 14 years and wants to get British citizenship under the continuous stay rule, hence him wanting to know if it will mess up his continuous stay in the UK if he goes to Ireland.
But the above user is undocumented in Britain....how will the user qualify for UK citizenship is beyond me. As far as cross border checks are concnerned....yeah maybe stopping irish reg vans to check for booze/fags trips so it dont get flogged in the market for cheap but defo not for illegal aliens.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:33 am

fatty patty wrote:But the above user is undocumented in Britain....how will the user qualify for UK citizenship is beyond me.
Have a read up on the UK's Long Residence (14 year) rule.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

fatty patty wrote:As far as cross border checks are concnerned.... ..defo not for illegal aliens.
Don't be so naive. Public transport spot checks do occur on border crossings between Ireland / Northern Ireland and people are refused entry (usually to Ireland).

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:38 pm

Ben wrote:
fatty patty wrote:But the above user is undocumented in Britain....how will the user qualify for UK citizenship is beyond me.
Have a read up on the UK's Long Residence (14 year) rule.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
fascinating!

Ben wrote:
fatty patty wrote:As far as cross border checks are concnerned.... ..defo not for illegal aliens.
Don't be so naive. Public transport spot checks do occur on border crossings between Ireland / Northern Ireland and people are refused entry (usually to Ireland).
They most certainly do ... as you say but certainly not as high profile as other cross border raids...

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:42 pm

Eh?

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:15 pm

Ben wrote:Eh?
Sorry i wasn't clear in my earlier statement. What i meant was that the cross border checks are not that common, as you said spot checks..no doubt they do occur but certainly not a common occurance in my experience. And its fasinating to read that 14 years UK rule that any undocumented can be naturalised after being undocumented...very hard on those who are getting permits/visas and stuff.

laspo24

Post by laspo24 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:43 pm

fatty patty wrote:
Since when? I am kinda curious to know...coz it sounds like a world war 2 rubbish where gestapos boarding trains/buses asks for "papier"! :lol: (the rubbish great escape).

But if thats the case then one can always rent-a-car you know...or take a cab from newry to dundalk....or even walk from newry to dundalk. :)
Just to make it clearer ... their is a parked red van by the boarder when coming into Dundalk... that van is use by the Immigration unit. They do regular checks on buses and any suspected cars and also some Immigration offices travel with the train on plain cloth so that they cant be identifying or join the train from Dundalk for inspection. so wont advise anybody to cross illegally. Best of Luck anyway.

AShawna

Post by AShawna » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:02 pm

fatty patty wrote: Sorry i wasn't clear in my earlier statement. What i meant was that the cross border checks are not that common, as you said spot checks..no doubt they do occur but certainly not a common occurance in my experience. And its fasinating to read that 14 years UK rule that any undocumented can be naturalised after being undocumented...very hard on those who are getting permits/visas and stuff.
But think of what they would have gone through in the 14years, may not be able to get a proper job or education, fear on seeing any uniformed personnel etc. Precious years that cant be recovered...

Nah I'd rather sweat the permit/visa route than practically be on the run for 14yrs!
...though it tarries, it shall surely come...