ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

public funds When children are living abroad

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ovaisa2000
Newly Registered

public funds When children are living abroad

Post by ovaisa2000 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi All,

I would like to find out if I am entitled to claim child benefits.

I am a British Citizen and received my citizenship in 2014. My children are abroad (in non EEA country - India) living with my wife since 2013. Please note all my three children born in uk.

My children have been registered as a British Citizen and got their British passport in 2014 while they were in India. They have not traveled back to UK since they have left UK in 2013.

I am the only one who responsible to paying for their school fees, money for clothing, food, pocket money etc. as my wife doesn’t work.

Can I claim child benefit, child tax credit, working tax credit while they are living abroad?
Also, If I will apply a spouse visa for my wife should it cause any issue on that time?

Any expert advise will help a lot.

Thank you

John

Re: public funds

Post by John » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:54 pm

Well no, see this page from the HMRC Manuals :-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ccmmanual/ccm18040.htm

So an eight-week limit on the child being outside the UK, and your children have been outisde the UK, indeed outside the EEA, for well in excess of eight weeks.

The provision is effectively used by many families when they go on a two-week package tour holiday etc etc, but it cleaerly does not cover the situation when the child is abroad like your children.

Their British Citizenship makes no difference.
John

ovaisa2000
Newly Registered

Re: public funds

Post by ovaisa2000 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:12 pm

John wrote:Well no, see this page from the HMRC Manuals :-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ccmmanual/ccm18040.htm

So an eight-week limit on the child being outside the UK, and your children have been outisde the UK, indeed outside the EEA, for well in excess of eight weeks.

The provision is effectively used by many families when they go on a two-week package tour holiday etc etc, but it cleaerly does not cover the situation when the child is abroad like your children.

Their British Citizenship makes no difference.
Thank you