ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport but can one have access to public funds

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Shereemarlane
Newly Registered
South Africa

British passport but can one have access to public funds

Post by Shereemarlane » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:05 pm

Hi

I'm trying to help out a fellow Saffa. She has arrived in the Uk in October (but lived in Scotland for little while, then Essex) that's been in my town for a week. She's got a British passport (born in Rhodesia) and no restrictions. She's not working but looking for a job. What public funds could she be entitled to? She lived in SA before coming here but was born Rhodesia

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British passport but can one have access to public funds

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:08 pm

Might be a bit limited as she has not paid into the system. See link below for benefits calculator. She will likely also be subject to the habitual residence test.

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org ... 4UQAvD_BwE

Also, how did she obtained a British passport, through which UK born parent?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Shereemarlane
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Shereemarlane » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:23 pm

Oh ok. I'm not entirely sure. Would it be Dependant in father or mother? She 55. Think she said her mother side

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:46 pm

There are many forms of citizenship and some do not give the holder right of abode to reside and work in the UK which is why it is very important to understand her full route and parents details because she is from what is now Zimbabwe.

For example, a British overseas citizen passport holder, cannot work or live unrestricted in the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.