ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working tax and child tax credits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

saleemkhan1

Working tax and child tax credits

Post by saleemkhan1 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:36 am

Dear experts,

I got ILR. I have one child who was born here in the UK. my wife is on dependent visa and I would apply to switch her visa to Family route/spouse visa in next year. I have started full time work. My question is can I apply for working tax credit based on my full time work? If I apply, would this affect my wife visa switching?

Many thanks

Casa

Re: Working tax and child tax credits

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:43 am

saleemkhan1 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:36 am
Dear experts,

I got ILR. I have one child who was born here in the UK. my wife is on dependent visa and I would apply to switch her visa to Family route/spouse visa in next year. I have started full time work. My question is can I apply for working tax credit based on my full time work? If I apply, would this affect my wife visa switching?

Many thanks
No problem providing you claim tax credits in joint names. Child benefit in your name only.

Why is your wife switching to FLR(M)? Were you granted ILR under long residence or the 5 year route to settlement?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:15 am

The Tax Credit benefits ended in December last year under the UK's Welfare Reforms.Tax Credits are two on the low income benefits that have been replaced by the new benefit called Universal Credit, which has different rules to be able to claim and stricter requirements for claimants.
https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

That calulator isn't reading like you can put your wife's name on a Universal Credit claim as you would have on Tax Credits. There will no longer be extra benefit money for your wife who cannot have public funds, as the old Working Tax Credit benefit gave.

If you are going to apply for a spouse visa next year for your wife, you need to be earning £18,600, which would have been too much money to get the old (legacy) benefit called Working Tax Credit anyway.

Universal Credit is a monthly claim. Both parents to work, with at least one fulltime.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:23 am

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:29 am

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/eligibility

It seems like you got ILR on the 10 years route as you were a student until recently working 20 hours and are now Self Employed.

SE has different rules to sponsor a spouse than those who are employed.

SE has stricter rules for the Universal Credit benefit than the old legacy benefit Tax Credit had, where those claiments could low earnings year after year for benefits with no requirement to support their own children.
https://www.gov.uk/self-employment-and-universal-credit

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:40 am

JB007 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:29 am
https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/eligibility

It seems like you got ILR on the 10 years route as you were a student until recently working 20 hours and are now Self Employed.
Wrong link above.

immigration-for-family-members/apply-un ... l#p1794530

saleemkhan1

Post by saleemkhan1 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:32 pm

Thanks Casa and JB007.

Yes I got ILR on long route. Wife is dependent visa and want to switch to FLR (M). You mean I can get child tax credit and working tax credit and for child benefit I should give my own account and for tax credits it has to be joint account. Are these ture? For universal credit I should apply online?

JB007, I am not working as a self employed, there was a chance but it has been cancelled. I am now on PAYE. And you are right for other information. I know families they are getting tax credits even their wives on spouse visa.

Thanks to you both

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:42 pm

saleemkhan1 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:32 pm
You mean I can get child tax credit and working tax credit
JB007 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:15 am
The Tax Credit benefits ended in December last year under the UK's Welfare Reforms.Tax Credits are two on the low income benefits that have been replaced by the new benefit called Universal Credit, which has different rules to be able to claim and stricter requirements for claimants.
https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:51 pm

saleemkhan1 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:32 pm
And you are right for other information. I know families they are getting tax credits even their wives on spouse visa.
Exisiting claimants will have their Tax Credit benefit claim ended and will then have to appy for Universal Credit, if they can. Claimants must sign the UC Claimant Commitment.

"This guide explains how people who claim Universal Credit will need to accept a Claimant Commitment before they can receive their benefit payments.

It covers what the Claimant Commitment is and how it will help claimants to find work. It outlines the kinds of things that claimants will be required to do in return for receiving Universal Credit, and shows how these depend upon each claimant’s individual circumstances.

The guide also highlights what will happen if claimants fail to do what they have accepted in their Claimant Commitment."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uick-guide

Under the Welfare Reforms, there is no more using benefits as a lifestyle choice.

saleemkhan1

Post by saleemkhan1 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:09 pm

Thanks