ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CHILD TAX CREDIT & SPOUSE VISA EXTENSION

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Alz3eem2018
United Arab Emirates

CHILD TAX CREDIT & SPOUSE VISA EXTENSION

Post by Alz3eem2018 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:30 pm

Dear Forum members,

Would applying for child tax credit affect my wife's application when applying to extend her spouse visa FLR (M).

Any advice would be helpful...

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: CHILD TAX CREDIT & SPOUSE VISA EXTENSION

Post by seagul » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:55 pm

Alz3eem2018 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:30 pm
Dear Forum members,

Would applying for child tax credit affect my wife's application when applying to extend her spouse visa FLR (M).

If its claimed in joint names and if you still eligible than might be not issue but preferably it should be abstained until ILR.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:18 pm

seagul wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:55 pm
Alz3eem2018 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:30 pm
Dear Forum members,

If its claimed in joint names and if you still eligible than might be not issue but preferably it should be abstained until ILR.
Universal Credit has now been introduced across the UK, replacing tax credits, unemployment benefit (including Income Support and Jobseekers Allowance) and Housing Benefit.

Note the information in the link below which includes:
"If you're in a couple and one of you is not subject to immigration control, they may be able to claim benefits. However, in most cases that person will need to make a claim as a single person. You should seek advice beforehand as your immigration status could be put at risk."

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immig ... n-control/
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Alz3eem2018
United Arab Emirates

Post by Alz3eem2018 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:11 am

I still dont get it.... why would it be a risk if we are claiming on a joint applicant.

I was told there is no risk at all but this forum has helped me a lot previously and would like a definite answer

John

Post by John » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:47 am

Although Universal Credit is now within the definition of Public Funds, those all important paragraphs 6A to 6C remain unchanged.

To save you digging them out, here they are :-

6A. For the purpose of these Rules, a person (P) is not to be regarded as having (or potentially having) recourse to public funds merely because P is (or will be) reliant in whole or in part on public funds provided to P’s sponsor unless, as a result of P’s presence in the United Kingdom, the sponsor is (or would be) entitled to increased or additional public funds (save where such entitlement to increased or additional public funds is by virtue of P and the sponsor’s joint entitlement to benefits under the regulations referred to in paragraph 6B).

6B. Subject to paragraph 6C, a person (P) shall not be regarded as having recourse to public funds if P is entitled to benefits specified under section 115 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 by virtue of regulations made under sub-sections (3) and (4) of that section or section 42 of the Tax Credits Act 2002.

6C. A person (P) making an application from outside the United Kingdom will be regarded as having recourse to public funds where P relies upon the future entitlement to any public funds that would be payable to P or to P’s sponsor as a result of P’s presence in the United Kingdom, (including those benefits to which P or the sponsor would be entitled as a result of P’s presence in the United Kingdom under the regulations referred to in to paragraph 6B)”.
John

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:17 pm

John wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:47 am
Although Universal Credit is now within the definition of Public Funds, those all important paragraphs 6A to 6C remain unchanged.

6B. Subject to paragraph 6C, a person (P) shall not be regarded as having recourse to public funds if P is entitled to benefits specified under section 115 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 by virtue of regulations made under sub-sections (3) and (4) of that section or section 42 of the Tax Credits Act 2002.
The Tax Credit benefits ended in December 2018 for new claimants: unless they had more than two children and it ended for them in January 2019. UC has very different conditions and requirements to the Tax Credit benefit.

Exisiting claimants will have their Tax Credit claim ended and will then have to apply for the replacement benefit Universal Credit. Some exisitng claimants have already moved to Universal Credit as they triggered a move to UC.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:42 pm

Alz3eem2018 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:11 am
I still dont get it.... why would it be a risk if we are claiming on a joint applicant.

I was told there is no risk at all but this forum has helped me a lot previously and would like a definite answer
Because the Tax Credit benefit required couple claimants to apply as a couple and it was benefit fraud if they applied as a single person when they were not.

But that benefit is 2 of the 6 low income benefits for those of working age, that have been replaced by a new benefit called Universal Credit. Although in some instances, those of state pension age might have to be on a Universal Credit claim e.g. they have a partner who is not of state pension age - where only the non-state pension age partner will have the work requirements that Universal Credit has but the pensions will reduce a UC benefit claim £ for £.

Totally differet rules and requirements for Universal Credit, compared to the old (legacy) benefit called Tax Credit, too many to list them all.

John

Post by John » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Although Universal Credit will be fully rolled out in jobcentres by September 2018, moving people on existing benefits to the new system will only begin in July 2019 and be finished by March 2022.
That no doubt explains why the commercial radio stations are currently full of adverts, imploring people to renew their Tax Credits before the end of July, otherwise payments will stop.
John

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:52 pm

In my opinion since the financial requirement is £18600 for extending spouse visa and such earning doesn't classified as low income which is essentially needed for claiming most of the benefits. I think with at least £18600 of income the couple will only be eligible for child benefit which British/ILR holder sponsor can claim on his/her child behalf in his/her name without affecting the spouse visa. And certainly that was the reason of inventing financial requirement of £18600.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:57 pm

John wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:40 pm
Although Universal Credit will be fully rolled out in jobcentres by September 2018, moving people on existing benefits to the new system will only begin in July 2019 and be finished by March 2022.
That no doubt explains why the commercial radio stations are currently full of adverts, imploring people to renew their Tax Credits before the end of July, otherwise payments will stop.
They are reminding existing claimants to renew their Tax Credit because that benefit is an annual claim. They could end up having to repay all those previous years TCs too if they don't do this.

Yiur qukote is about "managed migration", but many will move themselves to Universal Credit by "natural migration".

This is the list of "Universal Credit triggers" that is natural migration.
https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/chang ... sal_Credit

Alz3eem2018
United Arab Emirates

Post by Alz3eem2018 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:58 am

seagul wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:52 pm
In my opinion since the financial requirement is £18600 for extending spouse visa and such earning doesn't classified as low income which is essentially needed for claiming most of the benefits. I think with at least £18600 of income the couple will only be eligible for child benefit which British/ILR holder sponsor can claim on his/her child behalf in his/her name without affecting the spouse visa. And certainly that was the reason of inventing financial requirement of £18600.
I am exceeding this amount (£18,600) but when i entered my details and my wife who is on spouse visa the child tax credit calculator has verified me as eligible for £60 a month only due to the kid.

Now reading or hearing people they have said that claiming child tax credit (Universal Credit) is fine and needs to be in a joint application.

Just to note:
My wages will go up next year and hence i wont be entitled for any child tax credit (Universal credit) after the calculation. My wife's visa renewal is in January 2021, so this would not affect me hopefully then as they would require for her extension my last 3/6 months wage slip if i am not mistaken?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:37 pm

Alz3eem2018 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:58 am

Just to note:
My wages will go up next year and hence i wont be entitled for any child tax credit (Universal credit) after the calculation. My wife's visa renewal is in January 2021, so this would not affect me hopefully then as they would require for her extension my last 3/6 months wage slip if i am not mistaken?
The invention of financial threshold is to
Alz3eem2018 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:58 am
seagul wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:52 pm
I am exceeding this amount (£18,600) but when i entered my details and my wife who is on spouse visa the child tax credit calculator has verified me as eligible for £60 a month only due to the kid.

Now reading or hearing people they have said that claiming child tax credit (Universal Credit) is fine and needs to be in a joint application.

Just to note:
Since £18600 is not classified as low income, therefore it stops the eligibility for public funds. Only child benefit which is around £20.70 per week can be claimed by British/ILR holder parent on child behalf in his/her name as long as the income doesn't go up to £50000.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:53 pm

seagul wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:37 pm
Since £18600 is not classified as low income, therefore it stops the eligibility for public funds. Only child benefit which is around £20.70 per week can be claimed by British/ILR holder parent on child behalf in his/her name as long as the income doesn't go up to £50000.
The £18,600 was based on the Working Tax Credit part of the Tax Credit benefit, not the Child Tax Credit part. About 18k was the couple cap for WTC; for CTC it's was about 26K cap for one child, about 31k for two children. The government did talk about the financial requirement for a spouse visa being set at 26k, but used 18.6 instead, under present rules.

You can still claim Child Benefit if one person is earning 50k, but the amount of CB is reduced.
https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit

You can use certain pensions to pay in to, to reduce your net salary and claim Child Benefit. There are lots of sites who can tell you what pensions are allowed.

Alz3eem2018
United Arab Emirates

Post by Alz3eem2018 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:32 am

So the overall outcome..Please do not comment on child benefit because everyone is entitled. We are talking here about child tax credit...

CAN i apply for child tax credit or not?

would this affect my wife's spouse visa renewal in a 1.5 years?

Your help with me really appreciated.

sathesh_pandian
Newly Registered
India

Post by sathesh_pandian » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:29 pm

As per your spouse visa , she is not entitled to use public funds so no joint account claim for that.
      As per your visa , You can claim it but your salary is not fit into the criteria so you are not also eligible for that .

There is a Tax free child care available for you and you are not eligible for child benefit.

if you try to claim any public funds with your wife's name, it will not create any problem while claiming but visa extension will be rejected.

JB007
      - thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 pm

Alz3eem2018 wrote:
      Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:32 am
      CAN i apply for child tax credit or not?

would this affect my wife's spouse visa renewal in a 1.5 years?

Your help with me really appreciated.
      This-
      Casa wrote:
      Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:18 pm

Universal Credit has now been introduced across the UK, replacing tax credits, unemployment benefit (including Income Support and Jobseekers Allowance) and Housing Benefit.

Note the information in the link below which includes:
      "If you're in a couple and one of you is not subject to immigration control, they may be able to claim benefits. However, in most cases that person will need to make a claim as a single person. You should seek advice beforehand as your immigration status could be put at risk."

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immig ... n-control/

Alz3eem2018
      United Arab Emirates

Post by Alz3eem2018 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:33 am

After reading the comments I have come to a conclusion that we can apply for child tax credit as it can be only done if both parent do the claim. But this wont affect her renewal application.
      My salary would go up next year. So worst case scenario is that it will stop 7 months before applying and they wont even know. saying that i am not breaking the rules.

I earn more than the required salary threshold which is £18,600.
      My kid is a British citizen so no additional salary uprise would be counted towards him.