ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council tax student discount

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kaleemch
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Council tax student discount

Post by kaleemch » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:45 am

Hi just want to confirm I am not allowed to claim public funds. I am a international student can I legally claim student discount on my house living with my family.

Kind Regards

Kaleem

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Council tax student discount

Post by JB007 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:03 pm

kaleemch wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:45 am
Hi just want to confirm I am not allowed to claim public funds. I am a international student can I legally claim student discount on my house living with my family.

Kind Regards

Kaleem

Council Tax is based on two adults (18 and over) living in that property, regardless of how many adults live at that property.

All full-time students (including international students) are exempt from paying council tax and this is not a public fund.

Years ago, I think I read that those on a Tier 4 dependant visa, are also not liable for council tax, but I'm not up to date on this. You can check this with either your local council, or look on an international student site/ask your international support advisor at your university.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:27 pm

kaleemch wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:45 am

Kind Regards

Kaleem
Are you on a Tier 4 visa? Are your family on Tier 4 dependant visas?

Your previous posts state that you have applied for ILR under 10 years. That you want to study but because you haven't been granted ILR yet, you have to pay Internatioinal student fees because you won't have ILR at the start of your course?

If that is correct and your famliy are not on Tier 4 dependant visas, then your household will have to pay Council Tax. As a full-time student you then claim an exemption, but that only menas that the other adults in the household must pay the council tax bill. If your wife is the only other adult in that property, then she can claim a 25% single person discount off the bill.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:52 pm

And just to add that if you were planning on applying for welfare benefits once your 10 year ILR route is approved, unless your wife has ILR, she will still have to pay the household council tax bill as the Council Tax Reduction benefit is a public fund.

Even if she has ILR too, can have public funds and has little to no income, she will still have to pay towards the council tax bill. The Council Tax Reduction benefit is only a reduction of the full bill owed and even those who are unemployed have to pay towards their council tax bill. Each council set their own amount reduction percentage and that varies widely from council to council: details will be on the website of each council.

kaleemch
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by kaleemch » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:50 pm

Hi thank you reply

Sorry for giving incomplete information.

I have got my ILR now and I am full time student aswell. I have applied spouse visa for my wife which is not decided yet.

Can I claim any discount on council tax

Please reply

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:54 pm

kaleemch wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:50 pm
Hi thank you reply

Sorry for giving incomplete information.

I have got my ILR now and I am full time student aswell. I have applied spouse visa for my wife which is not decided yet.

Can I claim any discount on council tax

Please reply
I have replied.
JB007 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:03 pm
Council Tax is based on two adults (18 and over) living in that property, regardless of how many adults live at that property.

All full-time students (including international students) are exempt from paying council tax and this is not a public fund.
JB007 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:27 pm
...your household will have to pay Council Tax. As a full-time student you then claim an exemption, but that only menas that the other adults in the household must pay the council tax bill. If your wife is the only other adult in that property, then she can claim a 25% single person discount off the bill.
JB007 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:52 pm
And just to add that if you were planning on applying for welfare benefits once your 10 year ILR route is approved, unless your wife has ILR, she will still have to pay the household council tax bill as the Council Tax Reduction benefit is a public fund.

markgalebi
Newly Registered

Post by markgalebi » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:45 am

According to UK Government Households where everyone’s a full-time student do not have to pay Council Tax. You will get a Council Tax bill if there is someone in your household who is not a full-time student, but your household might still qualify for a discount.

Regard

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:59 pm

markgalebi wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:45 am
According to UK Government Households where everyone’s a full-time student do not have to pay Council Tax. You will get a Council Tax bill if there is someone in your household who is not a full-time student, but your household might still qualify for a discount.

Regard
JB007 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:27 pm

If that is correct and your famliy are not on Tier 4 dependant visas, then your household will have to pay Council Tax. As a full-time student you then claim an exemption, but that only menas that the other adults in the household must pay the council tax bill. If your wife is the only other adult in that property, then she can claim a 25% single person discount off the bill.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:43 pm

Council tax discounts are not public funds so would have no affect on an immigration application.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.