ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Benefits after ILR

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

coolwp

Benefits after ILR

Post by coolwp » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am

hello

I am posting this query on behalf of my freind. He recently got his ILR on the basis of 5 yrs WP. He has two kids, both are born in UK.
What all benefits he is entitled for?
Can he claim child benefit retrospectively?
Can he claim Tax benefits even though his wife is working and earning quite well?
Thanks in advance

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Benefits after ILR

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:45 am

coolwp wrote:hello

I am posting this query on behalf of my freind. He recently got his ILR on the basis of 5 yrs WP. He has two kids, both are born in UK.
What all benefits he is entitled for?
Can he claim child benefit retrospectively?
Can he claim Tax benefits even though his wife is working and earning quite well?
Thanks in advance
CB is only claimable three months back but only as far back as when he got ILR.

WRT to WTC/CTC best for him to look at http://entitledto.org - if they earn around 50/60k joint it's unlikely they'll be entitled to anything.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

coolwp

Post by coolwp » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:39 pm

Thanks Wanderer for your quick reply. But this calculation is only for British Citizen. He is not entitled for British citizenship. Also my freind is self employed and working for his own company and his wife work full time.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:41 pm

coolwp wrote:Thanks Wanderer for your quick reply. But this calculation is only for British Citizen. He is not entitled for British citizenship. Also my freind is self employed and working for his own company and his wife work full time.
Those with ILR are entitled to benefits.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

smartchap2k

Post by smartchap2k » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:45 pm

I might be in a similar situation after few weeks .. hopefully!

Is there anything else apart from Child benefit, and
child tax credit/ working tax credit to be claimed after acquiring ILR by a couple with a child and earns in the range of 40K per annum jointly?

what is the different between child tax credit & working tax credit? are these two separate things which can be claimed seprately?

Who is to know and what will happen if one is to claim child benefit 3 months back dated retrospectively- i.e. 3 months back dated from ILR? :wink:

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

John

Post by John » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:52 pm

The application forms for both Child Benefit and Tax Credits include a question about if you ceased to be subject to immigration control within the previous 3 months, and if so, the date you ceased to be so subject.

The purpose of those questions is to ensure that benefit is not backdated further than when the ILR was granted.

Working Tax Credits? On an income of £40k there is no entitlement. It runs out well before the £20k level is reached.
John

coolwp

Post by coolwp » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks for your reply. So that means he is not eligibe to claim anything after his ILR?

John

Post by John » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:41 am

I am not sure how you reached that conclusion. Either the mother or the father now needs to claim Child Benefit ..... and the two of them jointly need to claim Tax Credits.
John

coolwp

Post by coolwp » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:52 am

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. My friend has his own limited company and his wife also work full time ( 29500 basic salary). and their total income is more than 50000; thats why. I checked the link Wanderer gave. Pls can u explain more what all benefits they can claim (besides the child benefits). TA

soulfullness

Post by soulfullness » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:10 am

Hi all

I got my ILR in Jan 2010 and i am unemployed. Can I claim following benefits as my daughter is 13 years old and in full education.

1) Child benefit
2) Child Tax credit
Whether these two are paid weekly or once for all for the tax year?
Whom to be contacted for appication?
Any problem in the process of naturalisation in JAN 2011 DUE TO THESE CLAIMS??
Furhter it seems they do ask a question on earning in the tax year 2008/2009 bur I got my ILR only in Jan 2010. I think I have to explain this to the office

Thanks in advance

John

Post by John » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:29 am

Go to the www.hmrc.gov.uk website, where you will you will see links to both Child Benefit and Tax Credits, and lots more information.

The application forms for both benefits include a question about whether you ceased to be subject to immigration control in the last 3 months, and if so the date. This is to ensure that the benefits will not be backdated back further than the date you got your ILR.
John

soulfullness

Post by soulfullness » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:06 am

Hi John
Thank you and I just want to get some information from you regarding working abroad after getting ILR. Is it possible to go out of UK for 1 or 2 years and work as there is no job nowadyas and then come and stay for 9 months again in UK and then apply for naturalisation. When I go abroad my family will be in UK. Can you give some idea on this.