ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

working tax credits, child tax credits.

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

shumba
Newly Registered

working tax credits, child tax credits.

Post by shumba » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:31 pm

i am currently applying for IRL i am from zim, i am married to a british wife with two children, my wife is about to return to work full time and is concerned whether she is able to claim WTC and CTC as i dont have a national insurance number, i am currently not able to work or claim any benefits so we rely on my wifes income. if you could please advise that would be great cheers

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi Shumba,

Since your wife is BC you should be able claim both WTC and CTC.
HMRC wrote:Claimants who are subject to immigration control are not entitled to tax credits unless
There are special rules for couples, as follows

* Where one member of a couple is subject to immigration control and the other member is not subject to immigration control, the couple should be treated as if neither of them were subject to immigration control
You said you have two children, so why haven't you already claimed for CTC?

John

Post by John » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:17 pm

shumba, if you read the first pinned topic in this Claiming Benefits section, you will see that there is no problem you being a joint claimant for Tax Credits. Also, in respect of a couple living together, the Tax Credits claim must be in joint names.
You said you have two children, so why haven't you already claimed for CTC?
I agree, shumba, why no CTC being claimed?
John

shumba
Newly Registered

Post by shumba » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:18 pm

we do get CTC but in her name as we were not sure were we stand on the tax credits we get and the last time my wife went for the interview to determine if she could get the tax credits, she was told not to claim any until my stay was regularised. It was through looking on here i saw we could be entilled to them and thank you everyone for the clarification

John

Post by John » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:25 pm

the last time my wife went for the interview to determine if she could get the tax credits, she was told not to claim any until my stay was regularised.
What interview? Who told you that?
we do get CTC but in her name as we were not sure were we stand on the tax credits
No, that is not right. In respect of a couple living together the Tax Credits claim must be in joint names. To do otherwise might amount to benefit fraud.
John

shumba
Newly Registered

Post by shumba » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:41 pm

when she went to the interviews at the job centre, the the lady there told her because i was under immigration control, it would be beenfit fraud because we are claiming for someone not permitted the benefit, now i know that was wrong.
Is it ok then to get the CTC in her name or it has to be joint like the WTC? I just dont want jeopodise my application at the moment and thanks again

John

Post by John » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:03 pm

There is actually just one application form for Tax Credits. So filling that in leads to the possibility of both WTC and CTC being paid. In the background the conditions of claim for both are checked, income taken into account, and quite complicated maths done, because the two calculations interact with one another.
when she went to the interviews at the job centre, the the lady there told her because i was under immigration control, it would be beenfit fraud because we are claiming for someone not permitted the benefit, now i know that was wrong.
That only goes to prove that more staff training is needed, at that Job Centre+.
John