ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PSW to Tier 2 General (COS Application as well)

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

6pandn21
Nepal

PSW to Tier 2 General (COS Application as well)

Post by 6pandn21 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:37 pm

Hello folks,

I recently got a job offer from a small employer and they are willing to apply for my work permit as well and I had some questions I would be grateful if I got some answers on.

I am currently in a PSW which ends by the first week of February. The company does not yet have a COS but are willing to move right on it after I start this week. From an older post I found out that the steps involved are:

1. Company applies for a new licence with 1 un-restricted COS.
2. Assigns the unused COS for my application (As I am in PSW, my understanding is I do not need to pass the RLMT). My confusion in this step is how is this assigning done?.
3. I submit my application with the COS ref. no in the application form for UKBA consideration.

Now I know time is very limited and with the holidays coming, it will almost surely make things worse. But I really had no option as I needed to get a job first to even think about it. And from the forum, I gathered it could take from 3 weeks to 3 months for the COS application.

And I am assuming I won't be able to submit my own Tier 2 application until I know whether the company gets the COS? Is there some sort of premium service where the company pays higher fee for faster service?

And I and the company are thinking of doing it all on our own. Is it a good idea or do you think using an agent is a must and/or makes things faster?

I will hugely appreciate any information provided. Thank you very much for your time.[/i]

hashmil
Sri Lanka

Re: PSW to Tier 2 General (COS Application as well)

Post by hashmil » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:30 pm

6pandn21 wrote:Hello folks,

I recently got a job offer from a small employer and they are willing to apply for my work permit as well and I had some questions I would be grateful if I got some answers on.

I am currently in a PSW which ends by the first week of February. The company does not yet have a COS but are willing to move right on it after I start this week. From an older post I found out that the steps involved are:

1. Company applies for a new licence with 1 un-restricted COS.
2. Assigns the unused COS for my application (As I am in PSW, my understanding is I do not need to pass the RLMT). My confusion in this step is how is this assigning done?.
3. I submit my application with the COS ref. no in the application form for UKBA consideration.

Now I know time is very limited and with the holidays coming, it will almost surely make things worse. But I really had no option as I needed to get a job first to even think about it. And from the forum, I gathered it could take from 3 weeks to 3 months for the COS application.

And I am assuming I won't be able to submit my own Tier 2 application until I know whether the company gets the COS? Is there some sort of premium service where the company pays higher fee for faster service?

And I and the company are thinking of doing it all on our own. Is it a good idea or do you think using an agent is a must and/or makes things faster?

I will hugely appreciate any information provided. Thank you very much for your time.[/i]
Find if the company is already registered as a Sponsor? If so there is no need for new registration, just to get the Unrestricted COS.

If they need registration then this can take up to 6 months now. Fortunately they do urgent treatments if your visa is expiring in the next 10 working days.

Once the company is registered they can assign you this certificate via the Sponsor Management System to which they get access to.

6pandn21
Nepal

Post by 6pandn21 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi Hashmil,

Thank you for the reply. The company is not yet registered as a sponsor. My Visa runs out by the 5th of February. Is the urgent treatments for only for people whose visas expire in the next 10 working days? What I am unaware of when the company applies to register as sponsor and if it takes longer than 2 months, will I have to leave the United Kingdom?

Another query I had was whether I was correct to assume that I will have to apply for Tier 2 General even though I will be starting working coming week and not ICT.

Thank you very much for your time.