ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

working part time while on Tier 2 (General)

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Abrar87
Newly Registered

working part time while on Tier 2 (General)

Post by Abrar87 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:55 am

Hello,

I currently hold Tier 2 (General) visa. I am on Unrestricted Cos, working as Accountant (Switched from PSW to Tier 2 General) which did not require my sponsor to do any Labour market survey test etc.

I understand that apart from my main job for which Tier 2 is issued, I can work part time up to 20 hours as long as it's out of my normal working hours of main job and that it should be of same level as my main job.

I also understand if I want to do another part time job which is Not of same level as my main job, I need to make a separate Tier 2 application by meeting all the requirements again and also that my employer should hold Tier 2 licence as well just like my main employer. Also that part time job can be maximum up to 20 hours.
Currently, I am struggling a bit financially so I need some extra cash therefore I am looking for part time job. I'll only be doing it for 2 to 4 months - until my finance circle is back to normal.

I have three questions please;
1. Reading the guidance, my understanding is that part time job should be on the short occupation list. Would it apply in my case, even though my main job is Not on shortage occupation list?

2. Working part time now and then just for extra cash or to kill time can involve various employers, is it not too harsh rule that every employer has to be registered for Tier 2 which is quite complex process for employer. Where can I make my voice heard to appeal some leniency in this rule (just for part time job of course)

3. My last and rather most important question is that what if I do a part time job, up to 20 hours a week, which is Not of same level/type as my main job, without doing any paper work for separate Tier 2 application? Would I be de ported, my leave would be curtailed or I'd be given warning? I just need to know the clear rule. Also, what possible implications it could have when I apply for renewal of my main Tier 2 visa after 3 years?

Kind Regards,

Apam

Re: working part time while on Tier 2 (General)

Post by Apam » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:17 am

hi,
you are allowed 20 hours in the same job as that on your CoS. The employer in this case shouldn't be a tier 2 sponsor!!!!
If the job is not same as that on your CoS, then it must be on the shortage occupation, and again the employer shouldn't be a tier 2 sponsor.
Hope this is clear and helps.
You could choose to work in the job not at same level as CoS or not on the shortage occupation....you do that your own risk. The tier 2 guidance spells out all these very clearly under tier 2 conditions of your stay, supplementary work etc.