ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 and newborn child

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tier2_applicant

Tier 2 and newborn child

Post by tier2_applicant » Sat May 07, 2016 3:11 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a query about a child born to parents on Tier 2 visa. I tried looking for an answer/ question similar to mine but could not find it. Hope you can help answer my query.

My history:

I came to UK in Sep 2008 for my masters and was on post study work visa till Nov 2011.

My current employer (where is started work in Dec 2010 on my PSW visa) sponsored my Tier 2 visa from Jan 2012.
This visa/BRP was valid till 2015. I got an extension last year on this till Jan 2018.
My wife joined me as my dependent in June 2014 and her BRP is same validity as me.

Our ILR is due in Jan 2017 , however I am currently on a salary less than 35k

Now in case of a child born to Tier2 parents, I understand that we have to apply for a Tier2 dependent visa for the child (if the child has to travel abroad and come back to UK with parents) as mentioned on this page : [https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/family-members]

However, what I wanted to know is that what passport does the child get when born to Tier 2 parents? Will it be a UK passport or the passport of the country that the father and mother are from ?

Hope you can help.

Thanks.

geriatrix

Re: Tier 2 and newborn child

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 07, 2016 7:47 pm

Your child is not British, so cannot apply for (and get) a British passport.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:38 pm

Also, your wife won't qualify for ILR in 2017 when you do. She needs 5 years residence if she joined you as dependent in 2014.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tier2_applicant

Post by tier2_applicant » Sun May 08, 2016 8:15 pm

Thanks for your helpful answers.

tier2_applicant

Post by tier2_applicant » Tue May 10, 2016 1:57 pm

I had a couple of further questions, could you please advise:

1. Is it OK to apply for the child's Tier 2 dependent visa from outside UK (from our home country)?

2. You said that my wife will not be eligible for the ILR along with me in January 2017. How does this work for the child? Will the child get ILR at the same time as me?

3. If the child is born in our native country and not UK, how does it work then? When does the child get an ILR in such a case?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:26 pm

1. Yes

2. Child will be eligible for ILR when your wife is eligible for ILR (this assumes the child is born in home country). A child born in the UK does not require ILR to register as British once you are granted ILR

3. Apply Tier 2 General dependent visa and the child will follow the route of the less privileged parent, i.e. your wife, and will get ILR when your wife does.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tier2_applicant

Post by tier2_applicant » Tue May 10, 2016 2:28 pm

Many thanks for your answers CR001