ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New Entrant or Experienced Hire - Tier 2 General

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

messi10
Newly Registered

New Entrant or Experienced Hire - Tier 2 General

Post by messi10 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:36 pm

Hi All

Thanks for helping out in advance. I am currently on Tier 2 General which expires in Aug 2017. Following are my details:

Duration of Visa: 3 years, 1 months and 2 weeks
CoS Assigned for 3 years
Age at time of application 23 years
Last Visa before Tier 2 General was Tier 1 Post Study Work.

While I was assigned a CoS for 3 years, I applied the Tier 2 Gen visa few weeks before the start date of my new job, hence extra 1 month.

My employer is looking at wage reductions but am not sure if I am currently classed as a New Entrant or Experienced Hire. My understanding is that because I came from PSW and am below 26 yrs, I should be classed as a new entrant until my visa expires but I have also read that one cannot be a new entrant for more than 3 years but the visa is technically for more than 3 years and a month.

Please Help.

Thanks.

messi10
Newly Registered

Switching from Tier 2 to Tier 4

Post by messi10 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:13 am

Hi

Thanks for time and help in advance. I am on Tier 2 visa that expires in Aug 2017. I am looking to switch to Tier 4 General and start PhD in September 2016. My plan was to resign from my job, finish my notice period (1 calendar month), apply Tier 4 in person day after last day of the job, get Tier 4 visa and start my course. My understanding is that once I resign, my sponsors tell UKVI about it and then UKVI decides to curtail my leave to 60 days. My notice period is less than that so I should have plenty of time to make Tier 4 in person application.

Based on discussion with University immigrations staff, I have been advised against my initial plan. I have been told today that there is a possibility that my leave can actually be curtailed with immediate effect once I resign and UKVI are told. It has been suggested to me that I apply by post before resigning and wait for visa to be issued, this way my leave will not be curtailed at all until my Tier 4 visa application is refused.

Any recommendations on which approach is better and / or any alternate approaches are most welcome. Thanks

vinny

Re: Switching from Tier 2 to Tier 4

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:17 am

Wouldn't it be easier to be a student after you have been granted ILR or are you uncertain that you will be eligible for ILR?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.