ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 application form - "People financially dependent on you"

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

caiodorn
Newly Registered
Brazil

Tier 2 Dependant Visa (unmarried partner)

Post by caiodorn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:03 am

Hi all,

I've seen a few similar questions, but as you know this (the application) is a tiresome, time-consuming and expensive process to go through, so I decided to make my own specific topic. Hope you don't bother.

So I've got a job offer and I intend to take my "wife" with me to the UK. I say "wife" because we have the famous Brazilian marital status of "stable union" or "common-law marriage", which falls under the "unmarried" category for Visa applicaton purposes.

Premise: I've got a job offer from a A-rated sponsor (meaning we don't have to worry about proving we have money), and I want to move to the UK with my unmarried partner, who has been living under the same roof as me since 2013. The job category also falls under the shortage occupation list.

Questions:

1 - on the main applicant form there is a section called "Dependants", but it doesn't mention partners of any kind - only parents, children and maybe other types of relatives. Should I include her in this section? Worth mentioning that by this point I have already checked a checkbox which says "my partner will go with me" (or something like that) and that she will be filling out her own application separately, which is bound to mine in a way.

2 - regarding her application, I was planning to send ONLY our common-law marriage document (copy + translation), which was issued 3 years ago. Will we still have to care about collecting dozens of utility bills, etc. to prove we live together? P.s.: By the way, what if we didn't share the same place?

3 - in case we must provide those utility bills I just asked about: let's say we pick 24 electricity bills on her name + 24 internet bills on mine. They all look the same, having only the total amounts differing. Can I get just one of each translated by a sworn translator, since they're not really different? Or will I have to squander my bank account to get all 48 individual bills translated?

This is what I can remember for now... thanks a lot for your time, I appreciate it.

Casa

Re: Tier 2 Dependant Visa (unmarried partner)

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:25 am

The Entry Clearance officer will want to see evidence of a relationship 'akin to marriage' for a duration of at least the 2 year period prior to submitting the visa application. This will include more documented evidence than just utility bills (which should be in joint names) and you will need to submit proof of shared finances such as a joint bank account and/or joint savings, tenancy agreement or mortgage in both names.

The answer to your question "By the way, what if we didn't share the same place? " is that the application will fail as you won't meet the 2 year co-habitation requirement.

An unmarried partner application comes under close scrutiny.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

caiodorn
Newly Registered
Brazil

Re: Tier 2 Dependant Visa (unmarried partner)

Post by caiodorn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:16 am

Thanks for the reply.

As I said we do have an oficial piece of paper to prove our union, which I called "common-law marriage". So it wouldn't be just the bills... Their purpose would be of reinforcing that we live together. They don't feature both our names, however... One has mine, the other has hers (electricity and Internet, respectively).

Also... I don't intend to be rude, but I posted enumerated questions in order to avoid any of them being ignored and failed miserably.

caiodorn
Newly Registered
Brazil

Tier 2 Dependant - spouse (married) proof of relationship

Post by caiodorn » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Hi,

I and my partner are soon going to apply for Tier 2 + PBS dependant visas soon. We've been living together for more than 5 years and were planning to apply as unmarried partners, but now we're considering a marriage for the purpose of avoiding having to translate a huge pile of documents only to prove we live together.

Question is: do MARRIED dependants have to worry about the "two year proof of relationship" if their marriage is recent?

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 2 Dependant - spouse (married) proof of relationship

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:09 pm

do MARRIED dependants have to worry about the "two year proof of relationship" if their marriage is recent?
No but you need to provide evidence of subsisting relationship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

caiodorn
Newly Registered
Brazil

Re: Tier 2 Dependant - spouse (married) proof of relationship

Post by caiodorn » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:28 pm

Thank you.

caiodorn
Newly Registered
Brazil

Tier 2 Dependant - Unmarried partner - 2 year proof of relationship

Post by caiodorn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:10 am

Hello, everyone.

I'm applying as the main applicant and my wife as my dependant (unmarried partner). Based on the rules below:
57. Where you are applying as the partner of a Main Applicant but are not married or in a civil
partnership with them you will need to provide documents to show that you have been living in
a relationship akin to marriage/civil partnership for a period of at least two years – documents
should therefore cover the whole of this period.
Documents will only be accepted where they
are from official sources such as utility bills or NHS registration.

58. Some suggested documents for demonstrating your relationship to the Main Applicant on
whom you will be dependant include:

Partners (including spouses and civil partners)
• marriage or civil partnership certificates;
• bank statements;
• Council tax bills;
• medical registration documents;
utility bills
I am planning to send 24 internet bills on my name, and 24 electricity bills on her name, in order to cover the whole of the 2-year period, in other words: bill A x 24 + bill B x 24. I am thinking of translating only one of each, since each group will only differ their amounts, not brand/carrier nor text. It that ok to do or I'll be expected to provide them 48 sworn-translated bills + the 48 original copies?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 2 Dependant - Unmarried partner - 2 year proof of relationship

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:30 am

You need more than just one source each.

You need items from 3 to 6 sources and spread across every 3 to 4 months each of the 2 year period

All non English documents must be translted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

caiodorn
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by caiodorn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:01 am

Thanks for answering. And sorry for creating a separate thread for it, I thought it would work better than grouping multiple questions here (it didn't work).
CR001 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:30 am
You need more than just one source each.

You need items from 3 to 6 sources and spread across every 3 to 4 months each of the 2 year period

All non English documents must be translted.
Is this "rule" described in official sources? I've read everything I could put my eyes on, but this is something I don't remember seeing.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:03 am

Unmarried partners are heavily scrutinised. If you don't submit evidence of a relationship akin to marriage, you are highly likely to be refused.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ners-set05
12. SET5.12 Assessing whether the relationship has subsisted for two years
‘Living together’, should be applied fairly tightly, with a couple providing evidence that they have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership which has subsisted for two years or more.

Periods apart for up to six months would be acceptable for good reasons, such as work commitments, or looking after a relative as long as:

it was not possible for the other partner to accompany; and
the applicant can show evidence that the relationship continued throughout that period, for example, by visits, letters, logged phone calls.
13. SET5.13 What types of evidence might demonstrate living together and a relationship akin to marriage / civil partnership?
The applicant must provide six pieces of correspondence addressed to him / her and their partner at the same address as evidence that they have been living together during the past 2 years. The items of correspondence should be addressed to them jointly or in both their names. If they do not have enough items in their joint names, they may also provide items addressed to each of other individually if they show the same address for both of them. The documents provided must be originals and should be spread over the whole 2 years; they should also be from at least 3 different sources. Examples of what documentation the applicant could provide are listed below:

Joint commitments, (such as joint bank accounts, investments, rent agreements, mortgage, life insurance policy naming the other partner as beneficiary etc);
Birth certificates or records of any children of the relationship, showing both partners as parents;
Any official correspondence linking both partners to the same address, for example Council Tax, utility bills, Doctors records;
Any other evidence that adequately demonstrates the couple’s long-term commitment to each other.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

caiodorn
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by caiodorn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:46 pm

Thank you for this.

Do you know which types documents must be sworn-translated? I was wondering if bills need that... if they do, it will cost a LOT of money to translate.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:57 pm

All non English documents need to be translated.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

caiodorn
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by caiodorn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:03 pm

Yes. But they come in two flavors: certified/sworn or a simple translation. Both services can be found here, but the first is much more expensive.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:30 pm

Translated by an official translator who ho could verify.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

caiodorn
Newly Registered
Brazil

Tier 2 application form - "People financially dependent on you"

Post by caiodorn » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:02 pm

In the main applicant's form, there is this:
People financially dependent on you

Does anyone rely on you for financial support?
Include both those travelling with you and those who are not. (Required)
This could include:
children under 18
children over 18 who live with you at home
children who you look after all the time
older relatives who need you for accommodation or other support
The above comes right after filling in "Your current partner" section, where I also inform that she (my wife) will be travelling with me. I find it confusing that it mentions only children and "other relatives", and since I've already informed my wife's data I don't know if she should be included here as well. Should she be added to this section, despite the word "parter" not being mentioned?

bganuk

Post by bganuk » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:33 am

caiodorn wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:03 pm
Yes. But they come in two flavors: certified/sworn or a simple translation. Both services can be found here, but the first is much more expensive.
Hey dude, what did you do in the end?

I am also Brazilian, but I currently live in Poland. My wife is in Brazil now, so I have good options for translating documents in Poland, the UK and Brazil. I think in Brazil it would be cheaper than the others, but I'm not sure if the sworn translation would be enough for the HO.

Thanks!