ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax Refund|Rebate while on tier2 visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

phelun2017
Newly Registered

Tax Refund|Rebate while on tier2 visa

Post by phelun2017 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:26 am

Ciao Guyz,

A little confusion here, hopefully someone can help :wink:

Have been working in the uk for over 4years, and "currently" on tier2 working visa. Found out about tax return/rebate and personal allowances(HMRC terminologies). Wondering if anyone in the house has a clear understanding of this whole tax rebate/return and how it works relative to your immigration status.
Question,

1. If i qualify to receive tax return, does this affect any future tier 2 visa extensions ?
2. I have about few more years before ILR, if i took this return, would this affect future ilr applications ?

Thanks in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tax Refund|Rebate while on tier2 visa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:29 am

You only get a tax return if you have overpaid tax. As you are on Tier 2 (presumably General), you would be paying tax through PAYE, which is usually accurate and your personal allowance would already be taken into account through payroll.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

phelun2017
Newly Registered

Post by phelun2017 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:52 am

As usual, huge thank you @CR001, as u always there to assist. Wish we could start paying u for your services!

Im about to check/apply for a tax refund for the last 4years, and thought i should ask before doing something st**d.

Hopefully im on the right track, other info|opinion will be highly welcome

Thank You.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:55 am

Why do you believe you are due a tax refund??

Not sure you claim a refund for that far back.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:58 am

Note also that if you initially pay too much tax at the start of the tax year, your tax adjusts automatically throughout the year so that the correct amount is always paid. It is very rare that a person with one job over pays tax.

Not sure what your understanding of personal allowance is or if this is what you are looking at etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

phelun2017
Newly Registered

Post by phelun2017 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Exactly where the confusion and fear comes from :(

A friend told me about this, though he is a uk citizen. He applied for tax return and other personal allowances expenses, and hmrc paid out a lump of return to him. Basically sounds to me like daily life expenses.

I have been breaking my head all morning to understand this. Found a video on youtube,
"How to claim a tax refund" -- by xxxxxx

It sounds more like personal allowances expenses claim. Sorry if my reply is not clear enough :) That's just the way its in my head for now

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:11 pm

Note that there are different rules depending on the type of employment and job you do.

You can claim tax back if you have to pay for your work uniform and equipment. You can also claim certain expenses if you are self employed. Neither of these applies to you as a tier 2 worker.

The personal allowance is the amount of tax free income everyone gets every year. It has nothing to do with expenses.
Char (CR001 not Casa)