ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applicability of Job Retention Scheme for migrants with NRPF status

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

gsp
Newly Registered
India

Applicability of Job Retention Scheme for migrants with NRPF status

Post by gsp » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:36 pm

All,

The below news seems to suggest that the applicability of Job Retention Scheme for migrants without recourse to public funds is not clear.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52050416

I hope it does and if not, it will be serious situation for migrants with NRPF (No Recourse to Public Funds) status.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applicability of Job Retention Scheme for migrants with NRPF status

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:30 pm

As has been posted many times now, it is the employer that applies for this to be able to pay employees and NOT the employee applying!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gsp
Newly Registered
India

Post by gsp » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:48 pm

CR001, yes I am very much aware that it's the employer who applies but this news item seems to question the applicability of this scheme to migrants without recourse to public funds as at the end of the day the employer is tapping into this fund which the govt has not explicitly classified (public fund or not). I hope the govt provides a bit more clarity.

vtox
Mood:
India

Post by vtox » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:41 pm

On the same topic, I was also doing some research since this is an exceptional case that many people like me will lose their jobs while on Visa if no access to the public fund it will be very hard to survive here.

I found this link which talks about universal credit for those who lost their jobs and low income,

to be eligible

1) you’re on a low income or out of work
2) you’re 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you’re 16 to 17)
3) you’re under State Pension age (or your partner is)
4) you and your partner have £16,000 or less in savings between you
5) you live in the UK

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/eligibility

from above 5 points it does not say anywhere that you have to be a citizen. Here I am only no clear is point 3 which says about state pension ( may be it's only for the citizen) please share if you know anything about this and in any ways if we can get any benefits from the government during the crises.

thank you

vtox
Mood:
India

Post by vtox » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:05 pm

I have also found this post which talks about different benefits based on your resident status.

for those who are sponsored and sponsor fund your stay then you are not eligible but it does not say in what case employes who are sponsored are eligible. Basically the information provided is not clear.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/be ... -nationals

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:58 am

vtox wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:41 pm
On the same topic, I was also doing some research since this is an exceptional case that many people like me will lose their jobs while on Visa if no access to the public fund it will be very hard to survive here.

I found this link which talks about universal credit for those who lost their jobs and low income,

to be eligible

1) you’re on a low income or out of work
2) you’re 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you’re 16 to 17)
3) you’re under State Pension age (or your partner is)
4) you and your partner have £16,000 or less in savings between you
5) you live in the UK

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/eligibility

from above 5 points it does not say anywhere that you have to be a citizen. Here I am only no clear is point 3 which says about state pension ( may be it's only for the citizen) please share if you know anything about this and in any ways if we can get any benefits from the government during the crises.

thank you
You cannot claim UC. It is public funds

http://www.nrpfnetwork.org.uk/Documents ... tsheet.pdf
Bottom part page 7

5 Assistance for people who lose employment
The Government has announced a series of measures to help people who have are unable to work due to contracting coronavirus or having to self-isolate, or who have lost their employment or closed a business due to coronavirus.
The following assistance can be claimed by a person who has no recourse to public funds (NRPF) when they meet the relevant requirements because none are considered to be ‘public funds’ for immigration purposes:
 Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)
 Contributory-based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
 Wages paid through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (‘furloughed workers’)
 Assistance for businesses and people who are self-employed, as outlined in this government guidance
 Benefits that are listed here (under ‘work related benefits’)
The following assistance cannot be claimed by a person who has no recourse to public
funds (NRPF) because they are public funds for immigration purposes:
 Universal Credit
 Benefits on this list
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:59 am

vtox wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:05 pm
I have also found this post which talks about different benefits based on your resident status.

for those who are sponsored and sponsor fund your stay then you are not eligible but it does not say in what case employes who are sponsored are eligible. Basically the information provided is not clear.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/be ... -nationals
This link applies to Northern Ireland but also says the same, you cannot claim public funds.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:47 pm

Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

vtox
Mood:
India

Post by vtox » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:11 pm

Thank you Zimba and CR001