ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 visa - Online marriage registration acceptable?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

LG1000
Newly Registered

Tier 2 visa - marriage in Gibraltar

Post by LG1000 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:35 pm

Hello,

Hope everyone is doing well. Any advice on the following situation would be appreciated:

I am currently in the UK on Tier 2 visa (expiring in Feb 2022), nationality Pakistani.

My fiancé is in Germany on work visa, nationality Pakistani.

We are planning to get married in Gibraltar, based on my understanding, I am free to enter Gib but my fiancé would need a visitor visa.

For getting married in the UK she would need a marriage visitor visa, is that the case for Gib as well or she can apply for a visitor visa and we can get married in Gib?

Secondly, would she be allowed to visit me based on UK overseas territory visa after the wedding?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 2 visa - marriage in Gibraltar

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:19 pm

Are you officially divorced from your Spanish wife and have the decree absolute to prove it?

eea-route-applications/eea-or-10-year-r ... l#p1410589

A visit visa for Gibraltar is not the same as a visitor visa for the UK, so no she cannot use the same visa for both countries.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

LG1000
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 2 visa - marriage in Gibraltar

Post by LG1000 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:51 pm

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I am officially divorced from my Spanish wife and have got decree absolute.

LG1000
Newly Registered

Tier 2 visa - Online marriage registration acceptable?

Post by LG1000 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:04 am

Hello,

I have explained my situation in the following post:

uk-tier-2-employer-sponsored-visas/tier ... 09560.html

Because of covid related travel restrictions, me and my fiancé are planning to get married in Germany (religious wedding only not the civil one) and then register it in Pakistan (accepted by the Pakistani government). Just to clarify, all the paperwork would be done in Pakistan, nothing from Germany and we will not be travelling back home.

I wanted to ask, would it be acceptable for the UK authorities our wedding registration in Pakistan for spouse visa application or not?

My fiancé would apply for spouse visa from Germany.

Any help would be appreciated.

Casa

Re: Tier 2 visa - Online marriage registration acceptable?

Post by Casa » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:37 pm

Will this be an Islamic wedding?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

LG1000
Newly Registered

Post by LG1000 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:15 pm

Hi Casa,

Yes, this will be an Islamic wedding.

Regards

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:35 pm

LG1000 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:15 pm
Hi Casa,

Yes, this will be an Islamic wedding.

Regards
I strongly advise you to confirm the official requirements for marrying in Gibraltar. As a British Overseas Territory, Gibraltar is under the jurisdiction of the United Kingdom and Islamic marriages which take place under British law aren't recognised.

In any event, I believe you will first have to attend a civil registration of your marriage in Gibraltar before celebrating the Nikah a religious setting, in this case a Mosque. The civil registration will be valid for legal purposes in the UK.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.