ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 with autistic child

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

it-guy
Newly Registered

Tier 2 with autistic child

Post by it-guy » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:20 am

Hi guys,

Have a good offer with relocation to London.
But my 7yo son is an autistic person and clearly has SEN.

As I understood from my chaotic researches, we will have to apply for EHC plan to be able to land (special) school. But I still have a lot of questions

- is it true that being on visa is not a blocker for getting an EHCP?
- even if EHCp will be issued, will it be funded by UK government/local authority? Somebody says that NHS is not listed in public funds, which will be blocked for us, but SEN is not inly (and mainly not about) NHS, but about additional care, services, etc, so I'm really struggling here

If someone could bring some clarity here, I'll be highly appreciated

vinny

Re: Tier 2 with autistic child

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:30 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

it-guy
Newly Registered

Post by it-guy » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:57 am

Thank you! That's promising. But I've heard several stories regarding pushing back EHCp for migrants by LA's...

Hampshire
Mood:
India

Post by Hampshire » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:02 am

Speaking from General awareness, you are a tax payer, you have almost the same rights as a citizen, except voting rights and public funds.

I don't think for a autistic child they would deny facilities on the ground that you are not a citizen. You can even contest that.

If you are a resident, you can avail all the NHS facilities but not on tourist visa.

Assert your rights as a resident. Good luck

mastidl
India

Post by mastidl » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:34 pm

it-guy wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:57 am
Thank you! That's promising. But I've heard several stories regarding pushing back EHCp for migrants by LA's...
I came here on General Tier-2 visa and I have a special child who got EHCP in 2021. So there wont be any issue in-terms of visa except visiting visa but based on level of autism the council will decide whether your kid requires an EHCP or not.

it-guy
Newly Registered

Post by it-guy » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:09 pm

Thank you so much, your experience is really helpful to me!

Could you please also share, if possible, how long it took to obtain an EHCp? And does LA accept foreign diagnosis or require local only?

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:18 pm

Also, please be aware that all mainstream Primary and Secondary schools employ a SENDCo; a Special Educational Needs & Disabilities Coordinator, whose role includes providing free support for children on the Autistic Spectrum. :idea:

Their role includes the following:

- put the setting's SEND policy into effect on a daily basis
- help staff to support children with SEND
- work with parents to help their child
- work with local council support services
- work with other professionals, for example, in health services.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

mastidl
India

Post by mastidl » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:50 am

it-guy wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:09 pm
Thank you so much, your experience is really helpful to me!

Could you please also share, if possible, how long it took to obtain an EHCp? And does LA accept foreign diagnosis or require local only?
my family came in Oct 2020 then I reached to the CME (Children missing education) and mentioned his condition. they will go through some assessments then they will let you know whether you will get an EHCP or not. It depends on the kid condition. So I would say it took 8 months time due to COVID.

LA accepts foreign diagnosis and if they are not satisfy then they can go for additional such as genetic testing if you are okay with it

it-guy
Newly Registered

Post by it-guy » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:28 pm

Guys, thank you all very much!