ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Skilled Worker Visa Job Switch- What does Update Visa Mean?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hk2014
Newly Registered

Skilled Worker Visa Job Switch- What does Update Visa Mean?

Post by hk2014 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:11 pm

Hi,

I am on a Skilled worker visa sponsored by my employer from 2021 until 2026 in the UK. But my company is seeing a downturn and has started layoffs globally(or perhaps has used an excuse because big Tech giants are laying off globally too).

Anyways, I am now looking for another job with a sponsor(tough but not impossible).

My question is once I get a sponsor, what does it mean that the UK gov site has mentioned - I need to update my visa?

There was no further explanation after this line. It's not clear to me what does updating the visa means, is it merely changing the certificate of sponsorship from one employer to another or is it submitting a fresh new visa application again, paying visa fees+immigration health surcharge?

Moreover, do my dependents also needs to make a fresh application?

Appreciate it if someone can throw some expert advice here.

Cheers
HK2014

vinny

Re: Skilled Worker Visa Job Switch- What does Update Visa Mean?

Post by vinny » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:27 am

Extend, update or switch is actually applying for permission to stay, subject to SW 17.1.
If the decision maker is satisfied all the suitability and relevant eligibility requirements for a Skilled Worker are met, the application will be granted, otherwise the application will be refused.
I think they are basically the same application.

Moreover, When to apply to update your visa
You can apply to update your visa up to 3 months before the start date of your new job.

You can continue working in your current job while your new application is being considered, or to work out your notice period - as long as you apply before your current visa expires.

You should not start your new job until you’ve got confirmation of your new permission.
I think dependants have a choice. They may apply with you or before their leave expires.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

hk2014
Newly Registered

Post by hk2014 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:40 pm

Thanks for your response but what does update visa means?

Should I again have to apply for Skilled Worker Visa for 5 years starting from 2023 - 2028 or update the visa details with new employer details/new CoS and the current 5 years will remain valid on the updated visa i.e until 2026?

Cheers
HK2014

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:43 pm

Thanks for your response but what does update visa means?
You have to apply for a new visa with the new employer, paying the visa and IHS fees.. You need a new CoS before you can apply for the new visa with the new employer. You can only start working for the new employer when the new visa has been granted/approved.
Should I again have to apply for Skilled Worker Visa for 5 years starting from 2023 - 2028

You apply for the new visa when your new employer gives you a new CoS. How long you get a visa for depends on the length of the CoS, could be 2 years or 3 years or 5 years. It is the employer that decides this.
or update the visa details with new employer details/new CoS and the current 5 years will remain valid on the updated visa i.e until 2026?
No. This is not how it works. Your current visa CoS is ONLY specific to your current employer. You cannot 'transfer' the CoS to another employer. When you get a new visa approved, your current visa will be cancelled.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hk2014
Newly Registered

Post by hk2014 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:27 am

Thank you Vinny and CR001for your prompt response!

Cheers
HK2014