ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

(How to define "a resident of GB") Tier 4 apply Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

alex132
- thin ice -

(How to define "a resident of GB") Tier 4 apply Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence

Post by alex132 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:25 am

I am holding Tier 4 student visa and I have a Korean Driving License.

When I try to search for https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence
It ask:
1 Are you:
a resident of Great Britain?

I googled "resident of GB", it said:
For the purposes of our policies, a UK resident is defined as a person who has their main home in the United Kingdom, who is registered with a medical practitioner in the UK, and who has been resident in the UK for 6 months out of the last 12.

I want to know how gov.uk define "resident of GB", I arrive UK more than 1.5 years and TIer 4 student visa. Am I a resident of GB?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: (How to define "a resident of GB") Tier 4 apply Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence

Post by sah10406 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:53 am

alex132 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:25 am
I googled "resident of GB"

I want to know how gov.uk define "resident of GB"
"Resident" does not have a specific meaning in immigration terms, and especially not in other areas of life like driving. It means different things in different contexts.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

vinny

Re: (How to define "a resident of GB") Tier 4 apply Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:05 pm

What happens if you pick the obvious option?
1. Are you
a foreign student studying in Great Britain?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:13 pm

vinny wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:05 pm
What happens if you pick the obvious option?
1. Are you
a foreign student studying in Great Britain?
Seriously.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:46 pm

I don't think the three given options overlap.
a resident of Great Britain
a visitor to Great Britain
a foreign student studying in Great Britain
That is, if you are a foreign student, then you are not a resident of Great Britain, etc.

I think the definition they use for a resident of Great Britain is:
Exchange a foreign driving licence wrote:1 Are you a resident of Great Britain?

You’re normally a resident if you have a permanent address in Great Britain that you’ve lived in for at least 185 days.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

alex132
- thin ice -

Post by alex132 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:52 pm

vinny wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:46 pm
I don't think the three given options overlap.
a resident of Great Britain
a visitor to Great Britain
a foreign student studying in Great Britain
That is, if you are a foreign student, then you are not a resident of Great Britain, etc.

I think the definition they use for a resident of Great Britain is:
Exchange a foreign driving licence wrote:1 Are you a resident of Great Britain?

You’re normally a resident if you have a permanent address in Great Britain that you’ve lived in for at least 185 days.
Yeah, I had lived in GB for 1 year and have Permanent address in GB.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:00 pm

I'm unsure how they define permanent address for a foreign student.

You cannot use a Korean driving licence after being in the UK for over 12 months.

Try to exchange it for a British driving licence.

Let us know how you get on.

alex132
- thin ice -

Post by alex132 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:58 am

The main problem/question is:
How we define:

1 Are you a resident of Great Britain?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:54 am

As advised above, why not simply chose the 3rd option, "a foreign student studying in Great Britain", which you clearly meet?