ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New tier 4 visa for a return to study/ Breaching tier 4 conditions

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

Yehia
inactive
Egypt

New tier 4 visa for a return to study/ Breaching tier 4 conditions

Post by Yehia » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:59 am

I am a registered PhD student who undertook an interruption of studies since May 2019. I have now applied for a new visa to return to my studies. There is a nuisance though, rather a big one; during my stay as a PhD student I went on working full time during vacations and at times when I told my supervisor I needed rest for a couple of days from studying. I would take these as vacations and undertake full time posts before returning to part-time again when studying. This was actually happening for 3 years in row. For some reason I thought term time vacations were also applicable to PhD students just the same as masters students (I did my masters in the UK too).

Now that I have applied for a new visa, do ECOs check the number of hours worked to try to detect a breach while processing a new tier 4 visa? What if they realize I worked more hours and yet I "didn't" tick that I had breached previous conditions before..would this amount to me being "deceptive" and thus I am to expect a ban on my reentry into the UK for 10 years while losing all the years, the money and my degree?

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: New tier 4 visa for a return to study/ Breaching tier 4 conditions

Post by sah10406 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:41 am

Yehia wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:59 am
Now that I have applied for a new visa, do ECOs check the number of hours worked to try to detect a breach while processing a new tier 4 visa?
Yes.
Yehia wrote:
What if they realize I worked more hours and yet I "didn't" tick that I had breached previous conditions before..would this amount to me being "deceptive" and thus I am to expect a ban on my reentry into the UK for 10 years while losing all the years, the money and my degree?
Yes. You seem to have clearly lied, to try to conceal the breach. That is deception.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

ektan
India

Post by ektan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:40 am

Yehia wrote:
I am a registered PhD student who undertook an interruption of studies since May 2019. I have now applied for a new visa to return to my studies. There is a nuisance though, rather a big one; during my stay as a PhD student I went on working full time during vacations and at times when I told my supervisor I needed rest for a couple of days from studying. I would take these as vacations and undertake full time posts before returning to part-time again when studying. This was actually happening for 3 years in row. For some reason I thought term time vacations were also applicable to PhD students just the same as masters students (I did my masters in the UK too).

Now that I have applied for a new visa, do ECOs check the number of hours worked to try to detect a breach while processing a new tier 4 visa? What if they realize I worked more hours and yet I "didn't" tick that I had breached previous conditions before..would this amount to me being "deceptive" and thus I am to expect a ban on my reentry into the UK for 10 years while losing all the years, the money and my degree?
No, you dont have to as you were never caught while breaching.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:05 am

ektan wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:40 am
:roll:
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Yehia
inactive
Egypt

Post by Yehia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:28 am

ektan wrote:
Yehia wrote:

Given my situation I feel more inclined to a wishful thinking that your say is accurate. But what is your reasoning with regards to this matter? They do check hours, dont they?

ektan
India

Post by ektan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:14 am

Yehia wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:28 am
ektan wrote:
Yehia wrote:

Given my situation I feel more inclined to a wishful thinking that your say is accurate. But what is your reasoning with regards to this matter? They do check hours, dont they?
They do not have the authority to check hours unless there is a record that you were in a breach. Secondly, even if they did, the employer will also be heavily penalised in the range of GBP 20,000 for making a student work illegally. So, be assured the employer will never disclose.

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:40 am

ektan wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:14 am

They do not have the authority to check hours unless there is a record that you were in a breach.

They can contact goverment departments and councils to see if they breached their visa and took public funds, so what makes you think they can't check for other breaches?

HMRCs new(Ish) Real Time Information has been a useful asset in finding those who used deception; breached their visa. For RTI, employers must send details to HMRC every time they pay an employee, at the time they pay them.

I don't know what else they check for breach of visas, but for welfare, they only have to suspect there might be fraud or deception, to be able to check everthing, including their (and others) bank statements.
ektan wrote:
Secondly, even if they did, the employer will also be heavily penalised in the range of GBP 20,000 for making a student work illegally. So, be assured the employer will never disclose.

As UKVI will be the the ones who will decide what happens to that employer, don't you think the employer will comply when they realise they are in UKVI's sights?

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:13 am

Yehia wrote:
There is a nuisance though, rather a big one; during my stay as a PhD student I went on working full time during vacations and at times when I told my supervisor I needed rest for a couple of days from studying. I would take these as vacations and undertake full time posts before returning to part-time again when studying. This was actually happening for 3 years in row. For some reason I thought term time vacations were also applicable to PhD students just the same as masters students (I did my masters in the UK too).
It may rest on whether the definitions of term-time and vacation-time were sufficiently clear.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Yehia
inactive
Egypt

Post by Yehia » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:52 pm

JB007 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:40 am
ektan wrote:

They do not have the authority to check hours unless there is a record that you were in a breach.

They can contact goverment departments and councils to see if they breached their visa and took public funds, so what makes you think they can't check for other breaches?

HMRCs new(Ish) Real Time Information has been a useful asset in finding those who used deception; breached their visa. For RTI, employers must send details to HMRC every time they pay an employee, at the time they pay them.

I don't know what else they check for breach of visas, but for welfare, they only have to suspect there might be fraud or deception, to be able to check everthing, including their (and others) bank statements.
ektan wrote:
Secondly, even if they did, the employer will also be heavily penalised in the range of GBP 20,000 for making a student work illegally. So, be assured the employer will never disclose.

As UKVI will be the the ones who will decide what happens to that employer, don't you think the employer will comply when they realise they are in UKVI's sights?
Let's just be clear that Ukvi can trace almost everything if they want to. I am only concerned whether checking hour is mandatory. Or whether they do that upon finding out payments more appropriate for full timers.

I kind of declared I haven't preached conditions with the retrospective notion that I didn't actually know I was preaching conditions until late at the third year of my studies. I know this might not get me anywhere but I didn't feel like dictating myself to have been in breach and for this to be recorded as part of my immigration history for god knows when.

Yehia
inactive
Egypt

Post by Yehia » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:54 pm

vinny wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:13 am
Yehia wrote:
There is a nuisance though, rather a big one; during my stay as a PhD student I went on working full time during vacations and at times when I told my supervisor I needed rest for a couple of days from studying. I would take these as vacations and undertake full time posts before returning to part-time again when studying. This was actually happening for 3 years in row. For some reason I thought term time vacations were also applicable to PhD students just the same as masters students (I did my masters in the UK too).
It may rest on whether the definitions of term-time and vacation-time were sufficiently clear.
Unfortunately, PhD students are treated as full time students all over the year and thus no vacation is the clearest of definitions for them. I am only wondering now whey there is a lack of resources of situations of the like on the internet.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:01 am

Yehia wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:52 pm
I know this might not get me anywhere but I didn't feel like dictating myself to have been in breach and for this to be recorded as part of my immigration history for god knows when.
Sorry but that is pretty much the textbook definition of deception.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:15 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Yehia1
Newly Registered
Egypt

Post by Yehia1 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:33 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:01 am
Yehia wrote:
I know this might not get me anywhere but I didn't feel like dictating myself to have been in breach and for this to be recorded as part of my immigration history for god knows when.
I suggest that you reread what I put here before throwing the word "deception" twice when one could do.

I "didn't" know I was breaching conditions the time I was working more hours. Declaring I breached conditions would not make clear if I knew I was breaching conditions on purpose or not. As I stated already it would not make much difference whether I did it on purpose or not but it's not a clear cut situation the way your replies seem to suggest.

I take it that ticking I didn't breach conditions is a way of refusing that I had known I was breaching conditions regardless of the consequences. If am to be requested for an interview I would openly declare my situation without "deception".

QR0228
inactive
Egypt

Post by QR0228 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:06 am

Yehia1 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:33 pm
I take it that ticking I didn't breach conditions is a way of refusing that I had known I was breaching conditions regardless of the consequences. If am to be requested for an interview I would openly declare my situation without "deception".
If you are already sure that you would declare this breach in the interview, then why not tick the box? If you don't tick the box and then discuss this at the interview, they will certainly realise that you "lied" on the application which is an even riskier move IMO. Whereas if you check that box, you will have an opportunity to explain this situation within the application form itself.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:15 am

QR0228 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:06 am
If you are already sure that you would declare this breach in the interview, then why not tick the box? If you don't tick the box and then discuss this at the interview, they will certainly realise that you "lied" on the application which is an even riskier move IMO. Whereas if you check that box, you will have an opportunity to explain this situation within the application form itself.
Exactly. Hence my warning that it appears to be deception.

ektan
India

Post by ektan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:55 am

Yehia1 wrote:
sah10406 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:01 am
Yehia wrote:
I suggest that you reread what I put here before throwing the word "deception" twice when one could do.

I "didn't" know I was breaching conditions the time I was working more hours. Declaring I breached conditions would not make clear if I knew I was breaching conditions on purpose or not. As I stated already it would not make much difference whether I did it on purpose or not but it's not a clear cut situation the way your replies seem to suggest.

Regarding your statement - "I "didn't" know I was breaching conditions the time I was working more hours"
If you had read and understood the question in the application form, then you should have realized that the question wasn't - "Did you know whether you were breaching the conditions of your visa?"
Rather the question was very clear - "Have you ever breached the conditions of your leave, for example, worked without permission or received public funds when you did not have permission of your leave,?"
And the fact of the matter is that at the time of filling out the form, you knew you had breached the conditions. So what should have been your answer you know very well. I dont know what is your point in arguing over it on this forum. You should consult a lawyer and be prepared to face it.

ektan
India

Post by ektan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:05 am

QR0228 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:06 am
Yehia1 wrote:
I think what he means is that should the UKVI find out he breached the conditions and invite him to an interview, then he would give an explanation. But I dont know why they would invite him to an interview after finding out he had lied in the application.