ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 dependant BRP status - No work, No Engaging in Business

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Bhanu P B
Newly Registered
India

Tier 4 dependant BRP status - No work, No Engaging in Business

Post by Bhanu P B » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:11 pm

Hi Team,

I and my wife came to the UK on 25th Jan 2020. My wife is studying and her visa status is Tier 4 General which was valid up to 22nd May 2021. And my visa status is Tier 4 (General) Dependant.

In the month of May 2021, University has asked us to apply for "Exceptional Visa Assurance" and HMRC accepted our request and extended our stay up to 30th Jun 2021.

In the month of Jun 2021, University provided CAS to extend our visa since the course is not yet completed (As the dissertation project is pending). After receiving CAS we applied for a Tier-4 extension for my wife and in the same application, I and my kids applied for a Dependent Visa extension.

Today we received our new BRP cards and are valid up to 30th Jan 2022. On my BRP card, it is written as "NO WORK NO ENGAGING IN BUSINESS".

Questions:
1. What does it mean?
2. Am I not allowed to work anymore?
3. This month I have changed my job, Do I need to inform my employer about this status?
4. Is it a mistake by Visa Officer?
5. If yes, how to address this issue and rectify it?
6. For the last one and half years I am working and paying NI, why is this sudden change in my work status?
7. If it is not a mistake by Visa Officer, is my wife eligible for a post-study work visa (PSW) after 30th Jan 2022?

Please help with the above issues. Without a job, for the next 6 months, it is going to be very difficult for us.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhanu P B.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 4 dependant BRP status - No work, No Engaging in Business

Post by sah10406 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:55 am

Dependants can work if the main migrant's course is longer than 9 months. The UKVI caseworker seems to have treated her last application as if it is for a new short course, not an extension of a longer course. This may be correct, given that there was a gap between the two parts of the course. Your wife needs to check it directly with the university, probably the international student adviser.

You always need to inform your employer if you have new immigration permission, and in this case you will need to stop working.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.