ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Post office Check and send. How reliable is the delivery?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

king_kong

Post office Check and send. How reliable is the delivery?

Post by king_kong » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:03 pm

Dear all,

I sent my passport application on the 31st May 2012.
I used the post office check and send service to send the applications, with all my originals.

I thought I will be able to track the delivery of the application and the original documents etc etc.

But it seems, I cannot do that and I have to rely upon the passport services tracking.

I called the IPS and they said, since its not 5 days, my details are not on the system yet. Hence they cannot tell me if they have received my documents or not, and they said I should check with the post office.

Post office says they cant track the delivery either.

SO what is the big deal anyway with check and send?
I dont even know if they sent my documents, and I dont even know if the IPS has received my documents.
What a mess.

Please can someone let me know how reliable is the Post office check and send?

doubletrouble

Post by doubletrouble » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:22 pm

patience patience be patient.

today is the 2nd working day since you applied. I am sure you will hear something soon.

AlexS

Post by AlexS » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:13 pm

I agree with you king_kong.
I also applied on 31/5 through C&S, and I don't think it's worth it. The PO agent only checked that the data in the form was the same as the data in the passport and certificate. I had already done that, and I could have sent it myself via special delivery and I would have had a tracking number. And I feel it would have been faster as well, since I suspect the PO wait until they collected a few applications (because they just put mine in a transparent bag and then in a drawer) and then send them all together, which it means it's not a next day service.
I now regret using check and send :(
-----
Alex

king_kong

Its a virtue isn't it :-)

Post by king_kong » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:12 am

doubletrouble,

I have a bit of anxiety issues ( I am getting help for that, well thats another story). Hence I need to have confirmation at each and every stage. Due to the anxiety issues, my mind goes of hyperdrive thinking things.

Alex,
Good to hear about your experience.
Mine was placed in a clear plastic bag as well. It was not put in the mail bags, but kept seperately in a tray and then in a drawer.
One problem I noted with the plastic bag was, its perforated at the bottom.

The naturalisation certificate, the birth certificate was folded.
The original passports placed along with the right forms.

kindred_1st

Post by kindred_1st » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:04 am

I have to agree with both AlexS and king_kong. The C&S process is a money making scheme, like Golf course insurance :D

king_kong, to ease your mind and trust me, I know exactly how you feel, go to this link https://forms.direct.gov.uk/forms/form/ ... pplication, entering your details and IPS would usually respond within 24 hrs on the receipt/progress of your application.

John

Post by John » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:23 am

The PO agent only checked that the data in the form was the same as the data in the passport and certificate.
Not true. They also checked that your signature on the form was totally within its box, and none of your signature was touching the edge of that box.

You would not believe how regularly the Post Office need to decline to forward passport applications, simply because this simple requirement has been failed.

Echoing comments already made, given Monday and Tuesday were Public Holidays, you really are worrying prematurely. It is only a week since you went to the Post Office, and the Passport Office has hardly been working since then.
John

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:06 am

I found PO C&S very useful as they spotted (in two different occasions) problems with the photos (IPS are very strict with those).

king_kong

More confusion

Post by king_kong » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:53 am

Got a reply from the IPS website.
THe message said "query has been forwarded to the local passport office and they will get back in 2 days".

My queries:

1. How many passport offices are there? I thought there is only one in Durham ( atleast thats what the envelope says).
2. Is it possible because the operations are outsourced to any other country (implying "local passport office")?

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Re: More confusion

Post by jms_uk » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:06 am

king_kong wrote:Got a reply from the IPS website.
THe message said "query has been forwarded to the local passport office and they will get back in 2 days".

My queries:

1. How many passport offices are there? I thought there is only one in Durham ( atleast thats what the envelope says).
2. Is it possible because the operations are outsourced to any other country (implying "local passport office")?
1. There are more than one.
2. Other country being Wales? As there is big IPS in Newport.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: More confusion

Post by Jambo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:12 am

king_kong wrote:Got a reply from the IPS website.

My queries:

Take a big breath and relax. You are worrying too much.

1. There are several centres which process the applications (I think 7).
2. No country would outsource the issue/operations of it's citizens passports. The central customer service just meant one of the centres that deal with your application.

It normally takes a week (longer in the summer peak months) until IPS examines the application and creates a record in the system so just be patient. You will get your passport. IPS are quite efficient.

king_kong

Thanks

Post by king_kong » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:19 am

Thanks JMS_UK and Jambo

king_kong

Update

Post by king_kong » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:14 am

Dear all,

Just an update.
The documents which were sent using "Check and Send" on the 31st May 2012 has reached the office on the 6th June 2012.

When I tried tracking the application using the website, there was a problem.
SO I had to call them.
The agent who took the call said, I will be called back soon.
So they called me and said they have received the documents on the 6th June

claire621
Newly Registered

check and send

Post by claire621 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi...we applied for my fiances passport via check and send on 30th may ..we got email saying application was received on 31st its 11 june today and weve been given 9 different stories as to why its still sat there without being processed so far we are due to travel on our honeymoon on 24 june and they say they cannot guranteee that it will be back ..never heard of anyone else having problems like this ..its still a replacment passport too to be renewed

king_kong

Busy period

Post by king_kong » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:25 am

Hi Claire,
I called them up yesterday, and I was told, they are extremely busy due to a large number of applications.
So this might be the cause.

John

Post by John » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:42 am

This is the peak demand time of the year for passports. We should not be surprised that they are currently very busy!

All those people, already booked on to a holiday this summer, then suddenly realise that their passport has expired or or is just about to expire! Panic!

Reminder to self! Make diary note for sometime next year to renew passport before it expires in 2014!
John

king_kong

Slightly different information today.

Post by king_kong » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:08 am

HI John,

The way I remember most of the things-
1. As a student, I used to write them on the wall.
2. now that I am a bit grown up, I use a cork board and pin up post its.

Called them this morning. I was given a slightly different piece of information.

I understand that the supporting documents are returned in a week or so after they receive the application.
This morning, when I called them, I was told, I will receive the British Passport first, and a week later, the supporting documents. Dont understand this.

Have they changed the process or something?

Greenie
Respected Guru

Re: check and send

Post by Greenie » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:26 am

claire621 wrote:Hi...we applied for my fiances passport via check and send on 30th may ..we got email saying application was received on 31st its 11 june today and weve been given 9 different stories as to why its still sat there without being processed so far we are due to travel on our honeymoon on 24 june and they say they cannot guranteee that it will be back ..never heard of anyone else having problems like this ..its still a replacment passport too to be renewed
the direct gov website clearly states that applications for renewals sent via check and send take at a minimum 2 weeks but that there may be delays at busier times, and their peak times are April-September. Applying just before a double bank holiday, 3 weeks before you have travel plans, I don't think you should be at all surprised that your fiance doesn't have his passport yet.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Re: Slightly different information today.

Post by Greenie » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:29 am

king_kong wrote: Called them this morning. I was given a slightly different piece of information.

I understand that the supporting documents are returned in a week or so after they receive the application.
This morning, when I called them, I was told, I will receive the British Passport first, and a week later, the supporting documents. Dont understand this.

Have they changed the process or something?
See passport applications

Passports are usually sent by DX Secure and supporting documents by normal second class post unless you enclose a secure envelope, which is probably why they are telling you the supporting documents will arrive later.

king_kong

Thanks Greenie

Post by king_kong » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:44 am

I did opt for the DXSecure delivery for getting the supporting documents delivered.
From my experience with American Embassy, DXSecure sends a text message once they collect the passport from the American Embassy with a likely delivery date ( usually, the next day).
Do they do the same for UK passports as well?

AlexS

Post by AlexS » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:39 am

I called IPS yesterday, the nice gentleman who answered didn't even ask me how long it was since I applied, found my data in the system, and told me my application went through initial checks (and they were OK), and told me I would probably receive a letter next week. I had no reference number yet, so I couldn't use it to book the interview.
He also took my phone number in case they need to contact me.
Unfortunately I forgot to ask him when my applications was received by them.
-----
Alex

king_kong

Updates

Post by king_kong » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:59 pm

Well, the update is, there are no updates.

Whenever I call, I am being told, the supporting documents are under examination. Why does it always take so much time?

John

Post by John » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:13 pm

Because this is the busiest time of the year. Simple as that.
John

AlexS

Re: Updates

Post by AlexS » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:54 am

king_kong wrote:Well, the update is, there are no updates.

Whenever I call, I am being told, the supporting documents are under examination. Why does it always take so much time?
Weird, I sent my application on 31/5 via C&S as well, and I've had the interview last Saturday, and I'm now waiting for my passport to be delivered (according to the timelines here, it should have been delivered yesterday).

Have you called IPS King_Kong? Maybe your letter was lost in the post.
-----
Alex

king_kong

Updates

Post by king_kong » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:14 am

Thanks John.
Thanks Alex.

Now I have a few updates.

The interview letter came on the saturday.
I called up and fixed an appointment for interview tommorow.

I got my supporting documents (passport- ah preshhhhhhiiiiiiousssssss) including the naturalisation certificate back about 5 minutes back.

king_kong

Updates

Post by king_kong » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:28 pm

Received the supporting documents and the passport on the 5th of July 2012.
Phew.