ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Citizens - How long did you wait for your approval?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dolphingirl47
Newly Registered

EEA Citizens - How long did you wait for your approval?

Post by dolphingirl47 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:36 pm

I have to say patience is not my strongest skill. I applied 9 weeks ago, which I know is early days yet, but the majority of people in the August Club who applied after me got their brown envelope (although hardly anybody who applied in early August). I wonder if there are any EEA citizens that have applied for British citizenship that can tell me how long they waited for their approval. I had the feeling when I applied through NCS that me being German threw them completely for a loop.

Corinna

vinovino
Newly Registered

Post by vinovino » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:05 pm

I was waiting 12 weeks .

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:05 pm

My husband - Swiss - applied on 5 October via NCS and has not received his acknowledgement letter yet. He told me the NCS agent remarked that on average approvals come back in about 10 weeks.

So next week might be a lucky one for you! :wink:

dolphingirl47
Newly Registered

Post by dolphingirl47 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Thanks to both of you.

They debited the fees three days after I applied and I had my acknowledgement letter exactly a week after I applied. I was so hoping for a 7th November citizenship ceremony as this is the only date both my guests could make.

Corinna

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:22 pm

dolphingirl47 wrote:Thanks to both of you.

They debited the fees three days after I applied and I had my acknowledgement letter exactly a week after I applied. I was so hoping for a 7th November citizenship ceremony as this is the only date both my guests could make.

Corinna
Your optimism might be rewarded. :wink:

Btw, my husband got his acknowledgement letter today - 2 weeks from NCS application.

dolphingirl47
Newly Registered

Post by dolphingirl47 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:33 pm

I got a letter today, too. My application for British citizenship has been approved. I need to ring back the council on Monday to book the ceremony. At the moment they are booking 7th November so all may work out yet.

Corinna

nmbd
Newly Registered

Post by nmbd » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:47 pm

There seems to be a delay for EEA route applicants. I applied in Middle of August and still waiting for approval. 12 Weeks and counting. Its really frustrating to see people applied in September and October started to get their approval who are not on the EEA route.

I wonder why this discrimination.

andrej

Post by andrej » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:19 pm

nmbd wrote:There seems to be a delay for EEA route applicants. I applied in Middle of August and still waiting for approval. 12 Weeks and counting. Its really frustrating to see people applied in September and October started to get their approval who are not on the EEA route.

I wonder why this discrimination.
By checking your August post it seems you have PR confirmed (sticker/card) so I don't know why it is taking so long. I see some EEA-route people (with PR) got their approvals in like 30+ days, so I don't think they are willingly dicriminating. I am sure it will be soon buddy.

Since the whole UKBA and Asylum Backlog fiasco in the news a few weeks ago, they should be faster and more efficient at this point. I hope.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:38 pm

My husband got his BC approval yesterday (15 Nov.) which took just under 6 weeks from application date via NCS (5 Oct.).

sleeper

Post by sleeper » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:48 pm

I've noticed that it takes longer for PR holders then those applying through UK route. I’ve applied though NCS on 17th Aug, delivered to HO on 20th Aug. Still waiting…

andrej

Post by andrej » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:07 pm

Plum70 wrote:My husband got his BC approval yesterday (15 Nov.) which took just under 6 weeks from application date via NCS (5 Oct.).
I've noticed your post earlier on. WOW! That was really quick. You must be over the moon. I've had luck with both EEA2 (3weeks) and EEA4 (2 months), so I am hoping naturalisation is in the similar style!

andrej

Post by andrej » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:13 pm

sleeper wrote:I've noticed that it takes longer for PR holders then those applying through UK route. I’ve applied though NCS on 17th Aug, delivered to HO on 20th Aug. Still waiting…
Sorry to hear that. I wish I knew how ity all works. Do individual case workers make all the difference? How many applications does a caseworker handle at the same time? They are only human and have human fault. Do they judge an applicant by his/her name, nationality, photograph, straightforwardness of application??? I guess we'll never know.

Does it take longer for some checks to come back and shorter for others...?

andrej

Post by andrej » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:32 am

Plum70 wrote:My husband got his BC approval yesterday (15 Nov.) which took just under 6 weeks from application date via NCS (5 Oct.).
Is there anything extra that was supplied with the application? I see that some people do their own CRB checks and send it on with the application. Was it a straight forward case? Was it just the Swiss national applying?

nmbd
Newly Registered

Post by nmbd » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:01 pm

Thought this might be interesting for the readers.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/1 ... 7.pdf.html

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:06 pm

nmbd wrote:Thought this might be interesting for the readers.
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/1 ... 7.pdf.html
Interesting, but unrelated to the question at hand. This FOI answer just lists statistics for three weeks in April for North West area. It doesn't distinguish between applications coming from EEA-routes and others.

To return to the topic: I cannot imagine that applications with PR are more time-consuming than others. On the contrary, owing to the cooperation and intercommunication within the EU, checks should be easier and faster, and the vast majority of them already has been done in the first place. If there should really be a measurable difference, the only explanation I could think of is that there are two different sub-departments: one dedicated to EEA applications, one to non-EEA applications, and the the former is chronically overworked.

nmbd
Newly Registered

Post by nmbd » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:20 pm

If there should really be a measurable difference, the only explanation I could think of is that there are two different sub-departments: one dedicated to EEA applications, one to non-EEA applications, and the the former is chronically overworked.
I totally agree, we need a new thread dedicated to Non-EEA applicants.

andrej

Post by andrej » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Gyfrinachgar wrote: If there should really be a measurable difference, the only explanation I could think of is that there are two different sub-departments: one dedicated to EEA applications,

Do you mean to say that "EEA aplications" as in EEA citizens only or it also includes family members of EEA citizens who are also not EEA themselves but are using the EEA route?
Gyfrinachgar wrote:one to non-EEA applications, and the the former is chronically overworked.

By this you mean people on work permits and ILR - UK immigration route or Non-EEA family members?

Which one do you deem overworked? I find it an interesting theory. Can you elaborate please?

I would really love to know how the UKBA orginises this whole process and if aplicants are divided into groups and sub-groups according to whatever reason: Nationality, route of aplication, continent, EEA, Commonwealth, profession???

Any theory welcomed!!!

jayke
Newly Registered

Post by jayke » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:27 pm

I applied in mid July and am still waiting....

nmbd
Newly Registered

Post by nmbd » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:42 am

jayke wrote:I applied in mid July and am still waiting....
Hi Jayke, Did you apply as EEA4?

ilmessengero
Newly Registered

Post by ilmessengero » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:59 am

Applied 3/10/12 through NCS.
Approved 14/11/12.
Total 1 month and 10 days (5.5 weeks).
Ceremony arranged for 6/12/12.

nmbd
Newly Registered

Post by nmbd » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:19 pm

just a update guys. Got my approval today! total 3 months and 2 days.
good luck any one who is waiting.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:47 pm

andrej wrote:
I've noticed your post earlier on. WOW! That was really quick. You must be over the moon. I've had luck with both EEA2 (3weeks) and EEA4 (2 months), so I am hoping naturalisation is in the similar style!
I'm happy for my husband as he now really feels part of the British land. He almost looks taller even! :D He is especially thrilled now that he has the right to vote across the board (well, as from Dec. 19) whereas as a Swiss he could not take part in the UK democratic process.

Converse to your experience, my EEA2 application took 8 months (!) so i'm wishing on a three-leaf clover that my PR timeline is a happy medium.
Last edited by Plum70 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:54 pm

andrej wrote:
Is there anything extra that was supplied with the application? I see that some people do their own CRB checks and send it on with the application. Was it a straight forward case? Was it just the Swiss national applying?
Yes, just as a Swiss national who had lived and worked in the UK and held PR for at least 1 year. Nothing extra, just photocopies of his passport, PR card and P60s for 6 years (this was a precaution to show that he attained PR before the date on the PR card as this was different to the date entered on the AN form).

My husband has been fortunate in all his dealings with the UKBA - his RC and PR both took under 2 weeks to process and now his AN in under 6 weeks. He remarks that this is thanks to reputed Swiss precision in how he ordered his applications. It's anyone's guess.

nmbd
Newly Registered

Post by nmbd » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:16 am

Here I found this FOI request regarding EEA4 time line.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/1 ... 0.pdf.html

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:24 pm

nmbd wrote:Here I found this FOI request regarding EEA4 time line.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/1 ... 0.pdf.html
This is an FOI for citizenship application timelines for non-EEA family members not EEA4 application timelines.