ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation before ILR plastic card arrives

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

severnaya
Newly Registered

Naturalisation before ILR plastic card arrives

Post by severnaya » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:41 am

My wife and I can't get a straight answer out of the authorities or our lawyer, so I hope someone here has already done the above.

Is it possible to have a premium ILR (settlement) interview at a public enquiry office, then go to our local council's nationality checking service the next day with the ILR confirmation letter? Waiting for the biometric ID card would take at least two weeks, and we would much rather get it sorted ASAP so my wife can go on a business trip.

The UKBA is refusing to take calls about naturalisation due to budget cuts, our letter on the subject has vanished without a trace, the council (who would be actually checking the documents) are refusing to answer the question, and our lawyer says it isn't mentioned in the immigration rules and she doesn't know the answer.

Thanks for any replies :-)

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:46 am

It is possible with just the approval letter. I assume you are British (so your wife doesn't need to wait after ILR if she meets the 3 years requirement).

severnaya
Newly Registered

Post by severnaya » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:46 pm

Yes, I'm British. She has already been here more than 3 years so there shouldn't be any need to wait longer.

Can I ask where and when you were able to use the nationality checking service without the biometric card? Thanks!
Jambo wrote:I assume you are British

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:11 pm

severnaya wrote:Can I ask where and when you were able to use the nationality checking service without the biometric card? Thanks!
I never tried it myself. This is my advice. Not my own experience.

she needs to prove she has ILR. The letter states that. The Caseworker could (and probably will) check her file on the UKBA system and would see if and when it has been granted.

The application form (on the last page, section 5) clearly states that a letter confirming ILR status is acceptable.

Myb

Post by Myb » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:37 pm

The letter they give you after your ILR is granted says nothing about your ILR or what it is, its a very bland letter just telling that you will recieve the biometric card in few days without even saying anything about the card u ll recieve thats why i think it cants be used as proof of ILR, ironicaly the letter that tells a lot about it is the one that comes with the biometric card

For the money they charge, the services the UkBA offers are very basic and takes forever

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:05 pm

I never got ILR so I don't know what the letter contains. If this is just a generic letter, you probably can't use it. If it is a personal letter with your details in it and it contains the words approval and ILR, I believe it is enough.

severnaya
Newly Registered

Post by severnaya » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:17 pm

Update: it is essential to bring the ID card to the nationality checking service. We finally got an answer from our local council, and from two other councils in other cities that I emailed. The letter is not enough.