ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship approved, but letter received 3 months later!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

thespies
Newly Registered

Citizenship approved, but letter received 3 months later!

Post by thespies » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:40 am

Hi there,
My situation is that my citizenship was approved back in August. At that time I was moving out of my home, put a Royal Mail forward on my address and changed my address with the UKBA about a week after. Unfortunately the approval was on the day I moved, and the Royal Mail forward commenced two days later. The new tenants held my mail and only forwarded this via the real estate over three months later, so I only now have the approval letter. I've missed my ceremony and missed the 90 day deadline. I have emailed the UKBA with an explanation to ask for an extension but as yet have not heard back from them. I am unable to get through to them via the telephone either. Is this the correct way to request an extension? How long will it take to hear back from them? What is the likelihood of the extension being granted?
Many thanks!

trs2011
- thin ice -

Re: Citizenship approved, but letter received 3 months later

Post by trs2011 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:24 am

thespies wrote:Hi there,
My situation is that my citizenship was approved back in August. At that time I was moving out of my home, put a Royal Mail forward on my address and changed my address with the UKBA about a week after. Unfortunately the approval was on the day I moved, and the Royal Mail forward commenced two days later. The new tenants held my mail and only forwarded this via the real estate over three months later, so I only now have the approval letter. I've missed my ceremony and missed the 90 day deadline. I have emailed the UKBA with an explanation to ask for an extension but as yet have not heard back from them. Is this the correct way to request an extension? How long will it take to hear back from them? What is the likelihood of the extension being granted?
Many thanks!
Its a shame really and whatever explanation or excuse you have , you are the only person to blame . Surely , you know that you changed houses , and you just relied on the Royal Mail to forward your post and never had the time to check with UKBA or even visit your previous adress to check if there was any post for you ? By checking this forum , and seeing people who applied in September and Oct getting approvals , are you telling me that it never crossed your mind that you might have been approved so had to check with your previous adress just in case ? If it never crossed your mind then something must be wrong with you mate , i sound harsh but i m shocked someone can be this reckless when you know you made an important application . Sadly , UKBA will ask you to make a new application because , to be fair to them , 3 months is a lot of time that somebody cannot justify why they didn't book a ceremony . Blame yourself not anybody else , you should have taken more responsibility .

thespies
Newly Registered

Post by thespies » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:28 am

Wow harsh. If you look I've just joined this board, so no, I have no idea as to the approval time. I was told that if you don't hear from the UKBA within 6 months that is not unusual. The fact that you can't follow up with them until the 6 month mark (which still hasn't come about) means to me that it was not unusual. Anyone with more helpful advice would be appreciated, not smug comments.

trs2011
- thin ice -

Post by trs2011 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:49 am

thespies wrote:Wow harsh. If you look I've just joined this board, so no, I have no idea as to the approval time. I was told that if you don't hear from the UKBA within 6 months that is not unusual. The fact that you can't follow up with them until the 6 month mark (which still hasn't come about) means to me that it was not unusual. Anyone with more helpful advice would be appreciated, not smug comments.
Well , harsh or smug comments as you might call me but i m calling a spade a spade here , it doesn't change the reality mate . My advise , which is the best , is to call UKBA or fax a letter and explain yourself because sending emails can take weeks or months to be read which is unhelpful . You sound like someone who wants to be told what he wants to hear , good luck .

thespies
Newly Registered

Post by thespies » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:55 am

So you would suggest a letter over an email? I'm not hoping for a particular answer, just advice from someone who may have some information!!

trs2011
- thin ice -

Post by trs2011 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:04 pm

thespies wrote:So you would suggest a letter over an email? I'm not hoping for a particular answer, just advice from someone who may have some information!!
Yes , a letter is better , then fax it to citizenship urgent inquiries . I did that when i wanted my passport back , i called them and one guy advised me what to do if i wanted urgent action , in fact , it was on a Fri , and i wanted my passport within 5 working days , so he gave me the fax number and i sent it same day . By the 4th working day , i had received my passport and approval letter together . But the emails i had sent earlier even up to now haven't been read . But try call , probably they have received your emails .

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:41 pm

There was nothing smug in trs2011's comment. It IS your responsibility to plan ahead, to keep your data up-to-date and check for communications from the HO. Ergo it is your fault, nothing harsh in stating that. HO has done nothing wrong, but used the data you gave them.

The caseworkers instructions state: "certificate of British citizenship may be issued provided that an oath or affirmation is taken in due form within the statutory period of 3 months". Somewhere else it reads: "Where an applicant is required to take an oath of allegiance he must normally do so within the time limit of 3 months prescribed by the British Nationality (General) Regulations 1982 (or the British Nationality (General) Regulations 2003, as appropriate). Otherwise the applicant cannot be registered or naturalised unless the Home Secretary decides to extend the period."

Normally, the period is only extended in special circumstances (illness and such), and normally only in advance - not after the time has already passed. Your neglect combined with some unfortunate timing has probably cost you £851 and you may need to apply again.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Re: Citizenship approved, but letter received 3 months later

Post by vinitmanu » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:35 pm

thespies wrote:Hi there,
My situation is that my citizenship was approved back in August. At that time I was moving out of my home, put a Royal Mail forward on my address and changed my address with the UKBA about a week after. Unfortunately the approval was on the day I moved, and the Royal Mail forward commenced two days later. The new tenants held my mail and only forwarded this via the real estate over three months later, so I only now have the approval letter. I've missed my ceremony and missed the 90 day deadline. I have emailed the UKBA with an explanation to ask for an extension but as yet have not heard back from them. I am unable to get through to them via the telephone either. Is this the correct way to request an extension? How long will it take to hear back from them? What is the likelihood of the extension being granted?
Many thanks!
There might be an hope here ! Try to contact your local council at your previous address. They normally receive your certificate within few days of the approval letter. Also, there is a slight chance that they haven't sent your certificate back to UKBA. All I would say is 'Give it a GO'

simonflynn04
Newly Registered

Post by simonflynn04 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:28 pm

Wow, people can be heartless.

I'd give them a call and tell them what's happened over the phone. I've emailed before too and never gotten a reply so don't rely on that! Hopefully someone will be able to sort it and you'll get an answer soon.

thespies
Newly Registered

Post by thespies » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:49 pm

Thanks all. I've read the immigration guidelines for case officers and an extension can be granted, although I am aware that is a discretionary one. Also, the UKBA should have contacted me after I missed my ceremony (as per their guidelines) and did not, so they also did not follow their own guidelines. I am hoping that will count in my favour but will see what they say. I'm assuming from the feedback that no one has had any dealings of this sort in the past so it's a new one. If anyone was interested I could let you know what the outcome is (if you are keen to continue making comments on any future forums) but given the fact that most comments here (apart from the last few - and thank you) are fairly antagonistic I'm inclined not to. Thank you to all who have been helpful.

Kaveh
Newly Registered

Post by Kaveh » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:50 pm

best thing is to phone them and explain the situation.

Also try this email: Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

They usually respond within a week. At least that happened in my case.

best of luck.

simonflynn04
Newly Registered

Post by simonflynn04 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:59 pm

thespies wrote:Thanks all. I've read the immigration guidelines for case officers and an extension can be granted, although I am aware that is a discretionary one. Also, the UKBA should have contacted me after I missed my ceremony (as per their guidelines) and did not, so they also did not follow their own guidelines. I am hoping that will count in my favour but will see what they say. I'm assuming from the feedback that no one has had any dealings of this sort in the past so it's a new one. If anyone was interested I could let you know what the outcome is (if you are keen to continue making comments on any future forums) but given the fact that most comments here (apart from the last few - and thank you) are fairly antagonistic I'm inclined not to. Thank you to all who have been helpful.
If they themselves didn't follow their own guidelines by contacting you then I'd be inclined to say you have a good chance! If there are hesitant to allow your case then do remind them that they didn't do their part too. Hope it works out well for you whatever happens! Complicated situation that could happen to anyone given the circumstances so don't feel too bad.

thespies
Newly Registered

Post by thespies » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:57 pm

Thank you to those who have been helpful, and I am pleased to report that my correspondence has been successful. The UKBA have granted a 21 day extension (from the date of the new letter) for me to undertake my ceremony. I am very pleased, and again thank those who have been helpful in this matter.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:23 pm

thespies wrote:Thank you to those who have been helpful, and I am pleased to report that my correspondence has been successful. The UKBA have granted a 21 day extension (from the date of the new letter) for me to undertake my ceremony. I am very pleased, and again thank those who have been helpful in this matter.
I'm really pleased for you ! Good luck and enjoy your ceremony.

simonflynn04
Newly Registered

Post by simonflynn04 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:24 pm

Congratulations on the good news!

mlove
Newly Registered

Post by mlove » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:36 pm

Good for you!

Going through the naturalisation waiting game is quite hard ( going through that right now ). Can't imagine going through that twice ( nor the expense ) - good you don't have to.

Good also for the UKBA being so resonable!!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:57 pm

thespies: Congratulations on sorting out the problem.

Sorry the thread in this conversation is amazingly nasty and arrogant. It is not normally the case on this board.

trs2011 wrote:Its a shame really and whatever explanation or excuse you have , you are the only person to blame . Surely , you know that you changed houses , and you just relied on the Royal Mail to forward your post and never had the time to check with UKBA or even visit your previous adress to check if there was any post for you ? By checking this forum , and seeing people who applied in September and Oct getting approvals , are you telling me that it never crossed your mind that you might have been approved so had to check with your previous adress just in case ? If it never crossed your mind then something must be wrong with you mate , i sound harsh but i m shocked someone can be this reckless when you know you made an important application . Sadly , UKBA will ask you to make a new application because , to be fair to them , 3 months is a lot of time that somebody cannot justify why they didn't book a ceremony . Blame yourself not anybody else , you should have taken more responsibility .
Wow, I can see why moderators have make trs2011 be "- thin ice -" (which is one step before being banned from the forum). Why be so rude trs2011? If you have ever tried to contact UKBA about a naturalization application, you will find it is not so straight forward. And applications are NOT, as you imply, granted/denied based on the order in which they were received.
thespies wrote:Wow harsh. If you look I've just joined this board, so no, I have no idea as to the approval time. I was told that if you don't hear from the UKBA within 6 months that is not unusual. The fact that you can't follow up with them until the 6 month mark (which still hasn't come about) means to me that it was not unusual. Anyone with more helpful advice would be appreciated, not smug comments.
Yes. And not because of anything thespies wrote, which seemed quite straight forward.
Gyfrinachgar wrote:There was nothing smug in trs2011's comment. It IS your responsibility to plan ahead, to keep your data up-to-date and check for communications from the HO. Ergo it is your fault, nothing harsh in stating that. HO has done nothing wrong, but used the data you gave them.
Nothing smug at all? Reading through the thread I can not find any time that thespies implied that HO had done something wrong.

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:19 am

Well, I still see nothing smug there, but maybe I have just developed a thick skin in that regard. Anyway, I have to agree with trs2011 that it shows a lack of planning/interest not to check his/her mail after moving, or to change his/her address with HO in time. And yes - that is an extremely easy and straightforward thing to do. There is even an online form for that - it doesn't get any simpler than that. What is unsettling me most is: the approval for naturalisation was something I was aching to get (like all my friends who went through the same process). I waited for the postman every day, hoping to get the letter. That someone doesn't even bother to check once with his old address within 3 months is - from my point of view - not comprehensible.

simonflynn04
Newly Registered

Post by simonflynn04 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:21 am

Gyfrinachgar wrote:Well, I still see nothing smug there, but maybe I have just developed a thick skin in that regard. Anyway, I have to agree with trs2011 that it shows a lack of planning/interest not to check his/her mail after moving, or to change his/her address with HO in time. And yes - that is an extremely easy and straightforward thing to do. There is even an online form for that - it doesn't get any simpler than that. The approval for naturalisation was something I was aching to get (like all my friends who went through the same process). That someone doesn't even bother to check his old address within 3 months is - from my point of view - not comprehensible.
Regardless, manners cost nothing. People come here for help and guidance. I have had a really good experience from members here during my application so I would hope others will find the site as welcoming and helpful.

Myb

Post by Myb » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:21 am

Just reading through the answers and it cought my attention what some people wrote, why some people just feel the need to be smug to others? If people cant help they should just leave the topic alone, i would like to think the "guru" who got involved and shed some light on that, a bit of justice

Congratulations and better luck with your passport application ;-)

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:32 pm

This discussion has run its course.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!