ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

After getting the British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tier1extension

After getting the British Passport

Post by tier1extension » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:41 pm

when i get my british passport, is it still important to keep my naturalisation certificate on my files?
if i lose my naturalisation certificate even if i already have a british passport would it be ok?
do i need to carry the certificate when i travel even if i have a british passport already?

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Re: After getting the British Passport

Post by vinitmanu » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:44 pm

tier1extension wrote:when i get my british passport, is it still important to keep my naturalisation certificate on my files?
if i lose my naturalisation certificate even if i already have a british passport would it be ok?
do i need to carry the certificate when i travel even if i have a british passport already?
Naturalisation certificate is the proof that you are a British Citizen. Passport is only a travel document. Please please don't lose your certificate. However, you do not need to carry the certificate while traveling.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:55 pm

It also currently costs about £86 for a replacement Naturalisation certificate, so good advice is to keep it safe!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:31 pm

vinitmanu wrote:Naturalisation certificate is the proof that you are a British Citizen. Passport is only a travel document. Please please don't lose your certificate. However, you do not need to carry the certificate while traveling.
That is certainly true, and very good advice. In theory, the certificate of naturalisation is the only relevant document for citizenship. I just wondered, though: After getting the first passport, has anyone actually ever required the certificate again? I haven't.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Gyfrinachgar wrote:
vinitmanu wrote:Naturalisation certificate is the proof that you are a British Citizen. Passport is only a travel document. Please please don't lose your certificate. However, you do not need to carry the certificate while traveling.
That is certainly true, and very good advice. In theory, the certificate of naturalisation is the only relevant document for citizenship. I just wondered, though: After getting the first passport, has anyone actually ever required the certificate again? I haven't.
My aunt received hers about 12 years ago and since then she hasn't found a reason to take it out. Of course, she took it out to compare when I received mine.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:55 pm

I class my naturalisation certificate in the same category as my birth and marriage certificates from my home country. So wouldn't want to lose either or throw them away simply because I might not need them! They are too important and as stated, a passport is only a travel document!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:11 pm

vinitmanu wrote:My aunt received hers about 12 years ago and since then she hasn't found a reason to take it out. Of course, she took it out to compare when I received mine.
Nice. :) Does it look any different from yours?
CR001 wrote:I class my naturalisation certificate in the same category as my birth and marriage certificates from my home country. So wouldn't want to lose either or throw them away simply because I might not need them! They are too important and as stated, a passport is only a travel document!
I never said that I do not value my certificate. I never classed it in any way (financially, emotionally, legally). I was just thinking loudly and wondered if anyone has ever needed it again after the first passport - because I don't think that is the case.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Gyfrinachgar wrote:
vinitmanu wrote:My aunt received hers about 12 years ago and since then she hasn't found a reason to take it out. Of course, she took it out to compare when I received mine.
Nice. :) Does it look any different from yours?
The obvious difference I can think of now was the colour. Hers was sort of white ish in colour. However, she said that she never had to attend a ceremony but rather sign a letter sent to her in a post with an oath on. Interesting !

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:54 pm

vinitmanu wrote:The obvious difference I can think of now was the colour. Hers was sort of white ish in colour. However, she said that she never had to attend a ceremony but rather sign a letter sent to her in a post with an oath on. Interesting !
The certificate sounds like mine. What colour is yours then?
[Edit: never mind, found them: old, new].

Yes, the ceremonies are a relatively recent thing, I think they were introduced 10 years ago. However, I thought that prior to the ceremonies the oath had still to be given personally, in front of a certifying notary or attorny or something (informally within seconds, without any ceremony). I may be mistaken though - that was just before I decided to follow that path.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:09 pm

Gyfrinachgar wrote: Yes, the ceremonies are a relatively recent thing, I think they were introduced 10 years ago. However, I thought that prior to the ceremonies the oath had still to be given personally, in front of a certifying notary or attorny or something (informally within seconds, without any ceremony). I may be mistaken though - that was just before I decided to follow that path.
Mine's more towards light brown (excuse my colour recognition ignorance). I'm sure someone from the forum will correct me.

andrej

Post by andrej » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:57 pm

tier1extension wrote:
Naturalisation certificate is the proof that you are a British Citizen. Passport is only a travel document. Please please don't lose your certificate. However, you do not need to carry the certificate while traveling.
From UKBA website: "The most acceptable evidence of British citizenship is a British passport."

So passport IS a proof of citizenship. Saying that, you are more likely to loose your passport or get it stolen while traveling so keep your Certificate safe!

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:23 pm

andrej wrote:
tier1extension wrote:
From UKBA website: "The most acceptable evidence of British citizenship is a British passport."

So passport IS a proof of citizenship. Saying that, you are more likely to loose your passport or get it stolen while traveling so keep your Certificate safe!
Agreed, and that is because passport has all the information including your nationality and photo ID to prove that you are British. But my reply was based on OP questioning the significance of preserving naturalisation certificate after getting British passport.

FYI, for most people on this forum, you can never get your first British Passport without your naturalisation certificate. Having said that, you can still stay in this country as a 'British citizen' without ever getting a passport.

trs2011
- thin ice -

Post by trs2011 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:23 pm

tier1extension wrote:when i get my british passport, is it still important to keep my naturalisation certificate on my files?
Finallly someone reminds me of this question . Actually , after receiving my passport last year , i called IPS whether i should keep my certificate and they advised to keep it safe because even though the passport is the main ID document and proof of citizenship , the certificate is as important as your birth certificate . So keep it safe .

quantum1
Member of Standing

Post by quantum1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:36 pm

vinitmanu wrote:
I disagree, passport is also proof of British Nationality. According to UKBA the most acceptable proof of British citizenship is a passport. Once you have a passport, the certificate is not really important.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:57 pm

One important aspect the certificate proves and a passport doesn't is when you became a BC. This might be relevant later in life so worth keep it safe.

kiranchinnu
Member of Standing

Post by kiranchinnu » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Jambo wrote:One important aspect the certificate proves and a passport doesn't is when you became a BC. This might be relevant later in life so worth keep it safe.
Yes ur right Jambo.
Information provided is general guidance and does not constitute legal advice.