ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration as a British citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

kayanne
Newly Registered

Registration as a British citizen

Post by kayanne » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi

Quick question. My 12 year old is registered as a British citizen but is also a south African citizen. He will be moving with his father back to South Africa in August. I was wondering how this will affect his future registration as a British citizen?

For instance if his British passport needs renewing but he lives in south Africa, will I have trouble renewing or will he loose his British citizenship?

Thank you

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Registration as a British citizen

Post by Amber » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:58 pm

kayanne wrote:Hi

Quick question. My 12 year old is registered as a British citizen but is also a south African citizen. He will be moving with his father back to South Africa in August. I was wondering how this will affect his future registration as a British citizen?

For instance if his British passport needs renewing but he lives in south Africa, will I have trouble renewing or will he loose his British citizenship?

Thank you
Once a British citizen always a British citizen (unless renounced or you commit a serious criminal offence).
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

kayanne
Newly Registered

Post by kayanne » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:00 pm

Thank you, but I thought that if you registered and when you turn 18 if you don't swear the oath it can be revoked, or is that just rubbish that I heard?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:02 pm

kayanne wrote:Thank you, but I thought that if you registered and when you turn 18 if you don't swear the oath it can be revoked, or is that just rubbish that I heard?
False.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:50 pm

The South African legislation does not allow ADULTS to hold dual citizenship automatically unless you have applied for and been granted permission to do so. This however does NOT apply to a minor (under 18 ). I can dig out the exact wording on the document I have and send it you if you like.

For example, I did not apply to retain my SA citizenship when I applied for British Citizenship but my South African born daughter who was registered as a British Citizen recently age 17 years, can hold both and the embassy renewed her SA passport and issued her ID book without any questions.

Your son will have no issue renewing his British passport at the High Commission in Pretoria when and if he needs to.
Last edited by CR001 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kayanne
Newly Registered

Post by kayanne » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:54 pm

I knew the rule with minors I just wasn't sure about his British rights if he ever wanted to come back and live in the UK.

Does your daughter then need to apply to retain her SA rights when she turns 18?

Also, would I NOT be able to renew his British passport in the UK?

Thank you for the great advice I appreciate it

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:00 pm

kayanne wrote:I knew the rule with minors I just wasn't sure about his British rights if he ever wanted to come back and live in the UK.

Does your daughter then need to apply to retain her SA rights when she turns 18?

Also, would I NOT be able to renew his British passport in the UK?

Thank you for the great advice I appreciate it
No, she would not need to apply to retain her SA rights as her BC registration took place before her 18th birthday and the registration certificate would be the proof.

Assuming your son has a passport valid for 5 years as a child, when was this issued? Also, an adult British passport 10 year validity is issued once the child is 16 and he might need to attend an interview as a first adult passport applicant so will need to make the application in South Africa.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kayanne
Newly Registered

Post by kayanne » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:07 pm

So essentially my son wouldn't need to request to retain his SA rights either then?

His British passport expires in 2016 so he would be nearly 16

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:11 pm

No, he would be allowed to hold dual citizenship as he is under 18 and it will have no bearing on his application for a British passport.

If he turns 16 shortly after his passport expires, he will apply for a 1st adult passport and will need to attend an interview.

I am not sure if you could renew his passport as a child passport from the UK if you do not have his British passport with you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kayanne
Newly Registered

Post by kayanne » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:15 pm

Great so he will always hold dual nationality.

He would need to as you say attend an interview for his first adult passport like I have also done in the past, therefore he would need to have the passport with him could he enter SA with either passport then?

Do you know what the difference is on naturalized and registered as a BC, are there any conditions between the two?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:20 pm

kayanne wrote:Great so he will always hold dual nationality. Yes

He would need to as you say attend an interview for his first adult passport like I have also done in the past, therefore he would need to have the passport with him could he enter SA with either passport then? It is illegal for a South African citizen to enter South Africa on a foreign passport even if they have dual citizenship, so if he has a SA passport, he needs to use that to enter SA.

Do you know what the difference is on naturalized and registered as a BC, are there any conditions between the two? Naturalisation is for adults and registration is for children under 18 and they are both the same, no conditions and just called something different
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kayanne
Newly Registered

Post by kayanne » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:22 pm

Oh right so he needs to enter SA on a south African passport, I didn't know that, thank you, you have been a great help

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:23 pm

You are very welcome, shout it you have any other questions, I am more than happy to help if I can.

Char
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kayanne
Newly Registered

Post by kayanne » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:27 pm

They are planning on moving to SA in August, I thought he could just enter SA on his British passport.

I need to apply for his SA passport now or an emergency one at least, do they do such applications? The SA home office is not the easiest or quickest to deal with.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:01 am

kayanne wrote:They are planning on moving to SA in August, I thought he could just enter SA on his British passport.

I need to apply for his SA passport now or an emergency one at least, do they do such applications? The SA home office is not the easiest or quickest to deal with.
Has he had a SA passport before? Was he born in SA or registered as a citizen?

My daughters passport renewal took about 2 months but my husbands one last year only took 3 weeks. An emergency passport takes about 2/3 weeks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kayanne
Newly Registered

Post by kayanne » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:05 am

Hi

Yes he has had two SA passports in his life.

I have read that if he enters SA with his UK passport, his father could easily be fined or cautioned and asked to have his SA passport issued within 3 months, there is not a HUGE issue if he enters with his UK passport.

My ex husband has always entered SA on his European passport and he too is a SA Citizen

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:09 am

kayanne wrote:Hi

Yes he has had two SA passports in his life.

I have read that if he enters SA with his UK passport, his father could easily be fined or cautioned and asked to have his SA passport issued within 3 months, there is not a HUGE issue if he enters with his UK passport.

My ex husband has always entered SA on his European passport and he too is a SA Citizen
Yes, he can enter on his BC passport but they have become quite pedantic at passport control and like to make things difficult for people, keeps them entertained I suppose lol. Given the time constraints you have, if he enters on his BC passport that should be fine and then does his renewal at Home Affairs locally.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kayanne
Newly Registered

Post by kayanne » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:59 pm

Thank you one last question. I naturalized in 2011 and did not retain my SA rights as I chose not too, I will be ok to enter SA for a holiday right on British passport even being an ex as citizen?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:28 pm

kayanne wrote:Thank you one last question. I naturalized in 2011 and did not retain my SA rights as I chose not too, I will be ok to enter SA for a holiday right on British passport even being an ex as citizen?
Yes, you will be fine and as a SA citizen you will always have the right of permanent residence, but there are also conditions attached to this if you choose to return to live.
Char (CR001 not Casa)