ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport application – Section 3 (uncancelled passports)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

imran22
Member of Standing

Passport application – Section 3 (uncancelled passports)

Post by imran22 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:01 pm

Hello Members

Section 3 says “You must send all uncancelled passports with the application” which is quite clear to me but read nearly all the posts about this section on the forum and there seems to be conflicting advice.

Some posts say include only recent passport as per the form. Some say include recent and the passport you entered the country with. And some go as far as sending all the passports.

What should I do? I have already filled the form and got it signed by counter signatory with only one passport.

Please help. I was planning to use check & send as well. Do you think they will raise issues?

Many thanks

ban.s

Re: Passport application – Section 3 (uncancelled passports)

Post by ban.s » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:07 pm

Passport application form is generic and applicable to everyone irrespective of their path to citizenship.
If you are a naturalised citizen, then only the current passport is required. You may have first entered on a different passport that is either expired or lost - that's fine, you don't need to include that with your passport application.

fingerscrossed123

Post by fingerscrossed123 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:45 pm

I think you should include ALL passports that you hold that are current (not cancelled).

I entered on a passport that has since long expired so I didn't include it. I only included my current one. The check and send guy said it was ok (I explained I no longer had the original passport that I entered on becuase it had long expired).

Call the helpline people if you're really stuck. They've been helpful to me - the number is in the booklet you've got with the form.

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:08 pm

To me uncancelled passport means passport which are not expired. I think what it is trying to capture is if people already have dual nationality then they send both their passports.

Am I right? Otherwise how can someone has two uncancelled passports from the same country? Is it not illegal?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:58 pm

There are countries (e.g. USA, UK) that issue a second passport on certain circumstances.

fingerscrossed123

Post by fingerscrossed123 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:10 am

imran22 - yes, I think you are correct and also assume that there are 3 spaces for up to 3 passports for people who have dual or multiple citizenship (or for some reason more than one for the same country as per the link above).

Therefore, most people should only have one current (uncancelled) passport for each nationality/citizenship held (unless something like the US exception linked above applied and you have 2 for the same).

Tuvoc

Post by Tuvoc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:43 pm

I phoned the helpline about this. Only the current one is required where you have been naturalised. They acknowledged that their website was not clear.

gilbutre

Post by gilbutre » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:45 am

Hi everyone,

I'm applying for my EEA child's passport, whose current non British passport is in the hands of my spouse, who's abroad and with whom I have no contact currently. So I have no access to my child's current EEA passport.

Is this a valid excuse enabling me to check the "stolen passport" option in section #3 ?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:51 am

gilbutre wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm applying for my EEA child's passport, whose current non British passport is in the hands of my spouse, who's abroad and with whom I have no contact currently. So I have no access to my child's current EEA passport.

Is this a valid excuse enabling me to check the "stolen passport" option in section #3 ?
If stolen a police report seems to be expected.
Also if reported as stolen you may face problems when trying to use that passport again.

Suggest you call passport helpline for advice on this case.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.