ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of Name and Citizenship Query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jsamad

Change of Name and Citizenship Query

Post by jsamad » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi,

I am due to apply for citizenship in this month and I would like to get the name changed. The query is, to get the Deed poll done to get the name changed, should I be a British national or its not required? I read on the forum that while submitting application, we can use the new name, so as per that we could get the Deed poll done even before getting citizenship? so would like to clarify if its possible to get the deed poll done before applying for citizenship?

My another query is related to AN form, Me and my wife would be applying together, so should we use 2 different AN forms?

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks,
Samad

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Change of Name and Citizenship Query

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:44 pm

jsamad wrote:Hi,

I am due to apply for citizenship in this month and I would like to get the name changed. The query is, to get the Deed poll done to get the name changed, should I be a British national or its not required? I read on the forum that while submitting application, we can use the new name, so as per that we could get the Deed poll done even before getting citizenship? so would like to clarify if its possible to get the deed poll done before applying for citizenship? Most people do the deed poll after applying for citizenship and before they apply for their British Passport. Not sure about doing deed poll before you apply for naturalisation though.

My another query is related to AN form, Me and my wife would be applying together, so should we use 2 different AN forms? Yes

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks,
Samad
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jsamad

Post by jsamad » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks for the response CR001, but I read in thr forum that, the name on the passport will be same as that on the Citizenship approval letter. So in that case it would be difficult to get the Deed poll done post citizenship. Please clarify.
Also as part of my question, should we need to be british citzen before applying for deed pool or any national can apply for it?

Thanks,
Samad

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:12 pm

You can do the deed poll after you attend ceremony and receive your certificate. When you apply for passport, you provide the certificate and deed poll and the passport will be issued in your 'new' name.

Any nationality can apply for a deed poll, but you need to check if your country's embassy/consulate/laws accept it as official. For example, my embassy in London does not accept it.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:26 am

Hi CR001,

Is that the Indian Embassy? Does that mean previously Indian nationals cannot change their name in the passport using this method?

My wife is going to be in the same boat soon so looking for some inputs. Also would she face problems due to the difference in names in her subsequent OCI application (we are planning to travel to India on entry visas and apply for OCIs at the FRRO right after).

Regards
Challenges make life worth it!

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:16 pm

Any inputs CR001 and others?
Challenges make life worth it!