ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse English Language requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kishorechowdary

Spouse English Language requirement

Post by kishorechowdary » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi Guys

I have a NCS appointment tomorrow & just wanted to check if I am missing any thing.

Applying for me,wife & 6 year old daughter

Below is the list of documents

1) Passports Old & New
2) Life in the UK certificate
3) Home office letter When Permanent residence was issued
4) Permanent Residence cards
5) P60 from 2008 to till date
6) Last 6 months bank statements
7) All coucil tax statements
8 ) Marraige Certificate
9) Daughter Birth Certificate
10) last 12 months pay slips
11) Letter from the employer

1) Coming to the english language requirement I have the points based calculator print out from my initial Tier1 application & the extension.Can i re-use them??

My wife's graduation is recognised in points based calculator also.Is it OK if I take that print out to prove that she has a degree taught in english.

Sorry about the last minute questions.

Cheers Kishore

kishorechowdary

Re: Spouse English Language requirement

Post by kishorechowdary » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi Guys

Can some one please reply this

Cheers Kishore

kishorechowdary

Post by kishorechowdary » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:45 pm

Hi Guys

Please some one reply to this post as i have a NCS appointment tomorrow.

Cheers Kishore

Simha
Newly Registered

Post by Simha » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:48 am

Hi Kishore,

Yes, you can use your PBS print out, but it has to be updated one, because UK NARIC updates so frequently, but if you were get enough points earlier, you should get now too.

Regarding your wife's English criteria yes you can submit PBS print out and degree original certificate to meet language criteria.

kishorechowdary

Post by kishorechowdary » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:18 pm

Hi Simha

Thanks for the reply :-)

I had my appointment today & everything went well.

Here is my experience.

Before going ahead with my experience a bit of background about my circumstances.

Came to UK in Jan 2008 on work permit.
Spouse & 6 Month old daughter came to UK in SEP 2008(work Permit Dependants)
Applied for Teir1 General on Mar 27th 2009.Granted in may 2009
Got a extension in may 2012.
Applied for ILR janaury 2013 based on 5 years stay(work permit+Tier1)

Below are the documents which i submitted.

My Documents(Required)

1) Filled AN Application
2) Counterpart Driving Licence
3) Life in UK test Certificate Original
4) Latest PBS Printout
5) Letter from University
6) Original Degree Certificates
7) Passport OLD and New
8 ) BRP Card
9) Full Driving Licence

Spouse Documents(Required)

1) Filled AN Application
4) Latest PBS Printout
5) Original Degree Certificates
6) Passport
7) BRP Card
8 ) Provisional Driving Licence
9) Marriage Certificate

Daughter(Required)

1) Filled MN1 Application
2) Passport OLD and New
3) BRP Card
4) Child Benifit Letter
5) Original Birth Certificate

Other Documents(Optional)

1) UKBA PR Letters
2) 12 Months Payslips
3) Last 5 years P60
4) Council Tax Bills
5) Past 5 Years Employment Letters
6) Past 12 Months Bank Statements
7) Letter from the Employer

Documents mentioned in the other documents section are optional but doesn't hurt if you have them for safe side.

I asked the NCS advisor if she needs any of the documents from the other documents section & she said no none of them are required.

All the documents except the documents mentioned in Other Documents section were photocopied by the Councillor & are required.So don't forget to take them :-)

If your circumstances are similar to mine please make sure you take all the documents listed above except the optional Other Documents

BTW the Councillor was fully aware of PBS print out & was very happy to accept it as a proof for English language requirement.

Let me know if you need any further information I will be happy to answer any questions.

Cheers Kishore

kishorechowdary

Post by kishorechowdary » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:16 am

Hi Guys

Forgot to mention 2 things yesterday

I keep seeing a question about filling AN form which relates to satisfying English language requirement.

For this below question you need to tick the one's high lighted in bold.
I did the same & got this confirmed from the NCS Advisor

1. I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher , or an equivalent level Qualification

OR

2. I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelors degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and :
(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English;or

(ii) the qualification was taught or reasrched in the UK or a majority English speaking country(other than Canada); OR

3.I am a national of a majority English speaking country ;

OR

4.I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;

Second thing is I am not sure if everyone is aware of this but yesterday during my NCS appointment I was asked a question related to fixed penalty notice.

The question was Have you had more than one fixed penalty notice in the last 12 months.

I guess this is why they wanted to see the paper counter part of the driving licence.

This was clearly mentioned in the NCS appointment letter sent by my council that i need to bring my paper counterpart of my driving licence with me.

If you don't have a driving licence at all then i guess its all good :-)

Cheers Kishore

Chandrarao
Newly Registered

Post by Chandrarao » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:10 am

Hi Kishore,

Thanks a lot for posting this information. I have my appointment on Monday and just yesterday I realised that there is something to do with the English language test. Could you please give me the link to the PBS calculator?
I came into the country on HSMP tier 1 general visa, that time I had used the PBS calculator and My degree was considered to be taught in english.
Now am applying for naturalisation as a UK citizen's wife. Please let me know what to carry for the English language criteria.

Thanks again

kishorechowdary

Post by kishorechowdary » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi

Points based Calculator link

https://www.points.homeoffice.gov.uk/gu ... ment.faces

These are some of the documents that you need to take while you go for your appointment.

I am not sure what else is needed when you are applying as a spouse of Uk citizen.

For English language requirement Latest PBS Printout with your Original Degree Certificates should be fine.

If you have letter from your university stating that medium of teaching was English then that would be beneficial as well.

1) Filled AN Application
4) Latest PBS Printout
5) Original Degree Certificates
6) Passport
7) BRP Card
8 ) Provisional Driving Licence
9) Marriage Certificate

Best Of Luck with your Appointment

Cheers Kishore

Chandrarao
Newly Registered

Post by Chandrarao » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks Kishore,

Have used the link shared by you and will take the PBS printout and the degree certificate as mentioned by you.
I was under the impression that applying for naturalisation will have a different PBS but then it got clarified by reading your posts.

A rather silly question, can I take my 1 year old baby with me as am unable to arrange for the baby sitter :?
Was it a very formal interview? Will it be awkward to go with the baby?

kishorechowdary

Post by kishorechowdary » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi Chandra

Yes you can take your son with you.

The process is very simple.

All they do is go through your filled application briefly.

Then they photo copy your originals & return back them to you.

It hardly takes less than 30 mins per application if everything is straightforward.

We actually took our 2 month old son with us.

Cheers Kishore

aarnav

Post by aarnav » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:10 am

Hi Kishore/Chandra

Need some help

My case -Came here in Feb 2008 on WP (ICT) for 2 years ,2 extensions on WP or PBS ( but not Tier1 orTier 2 general) then got ILR in Feb 2013 ,Now due for citizenship

I checked for me using PBS ,I get 10 points for my Masters degree from India

For my wife also I get 10 Points based on her degree ( She was Tier 2 ICT dependent for 4 years ) & got ILR with me

I had chosen option of Tier 2 ICT in points based calculator ? wanted to check if thats correct or do i need to do anything different for myself or my wife ?

Will appreciate any guidance around that

Rgds

Aarnav

kishorechowdary

Post by kishorechowdary » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:43 pm

Hi Arnav

Tier2 should be fine.

I don't think it will matter much which option you choose either tier1 or tier2 should be fine.

For example I was on Tier1 general visa & my wife was dependent.

To get the PBS printout for her all i did was select Tier1 in the drop down & select her university & degree in the qualifications section.

I did not bother to claim any points for age, earnings, or uk experience.

All we need to show is that PBS is recognizing the degree & awarding some points normally 30 points for graduation & 10 points in the English section.

BTW for my wife i selected the option I have a qualification comparable to a UK Bachelor degree that was taught in English as she was a dependent when i applied my tier1 & never scored any points for englsh language.so you should not select I have already proven my English language skills in a previous Tier 1 or HSMP application for a tier1 dependent spouse.

Cheers Kishore

aarnav

Post by aarnav » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks Kishore

This helps a lot

Tried the calculator

For my wife ( She is a Dentist (BDS ) from India) ,but she is not getting any point for qualification & only 10 points for English

I am getting 35 for my degree ( MBA) + 10 points for English

So does that mean she will have to write english language Exam?

Rgds

Aarnav

kishorechowdary

Post by kishorechowdary » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:53 pm

Hi Arnav

That's interesting.

I did a simple test on PBS calculator which is some thing like this.

Select Tier1 in the first step in your case this might be Tier2.

Select Tier1 General in the second step

Select Inside the United Kingdom with permission to enter or stay in Third Step.

Select Extending your stay in the United Kingdom in Fourth Step.

Date of first tier1 application(25-March-2009)

HSMP(NO)

Now don't claim any points for Age, Qualifications, Earnings, UK experience

Select I have a qualification comparable to a UK Bachelor degree that was taught in English in English language section & click next

At this point you will be presented with a wizard which will start with Country of study:

Enter the details of your degree here.

If you are seeing 10 points in Points for English language column & you are able to select your degree then i guess you are good to go.

This is only my best shot & it will be better if any of the senior guys confirm that this is correct.

If still in doubt please seek professional advice :-)

Best of Luck

Cheers Kishore

jjkumar_73

Post by jjkumar_73 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:16 pm

Many thanks Kishore, very useful information and have got all needed precise answers.

aarnav

Post by aarnav » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:03 pm

Thanks Kishore ,Its helpful

But Someone else had mentioned that you need to get 20+ points for Education as well ( which i am not sure),apart from 10 Points for English

Rgds

Aa

jaxjig
Newly Registered

Post by jaxjig » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi Kishore,

I have similar question but it is related to applying ILR both for me and my wife.

Looking at various links to UKBA, I am confused how to prove english assessment.

I am under Tier 2 ICT and when I use PBS calculator, it doesnt give me option to claim 20 points for qualification but I am able to claim 10 points for English based on the university and course I studied.

With the above constraint, I tried exploring options to get NARIC certification. Now there are 2 options, 1. English Assessment and 2nd Statement of Comparatibility. If I just go with English assessment, will it solve the purpose.

For Information, I am pasting the guidelines I got it from KoLL

You can accept that a person has a relevant qualification if they provide:
1. A printout from the points-based calculator, confirming the equivalent level of the degree, and that it was taught or researched in English. The printout must show the degree has been awarded at least 20 points, and an additional 10 points for English language. Or
2. If the degree is not on the points-based calculator: o An English Language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC, which will confirm that the degree was taught in English. UK NARIC will only issue an ELA where they are satisfied that the qualification is comparable to a UK Bachelor’s degree. Or
3. A Statement of Comparability (SoC) from UK NARIC confirming the qualification is equivalent to a UK qualification. They must also provide an original letter from the university or awarding institution on official headed paper, confirming the applicant’s name, the title of the degree, and that the qualification was taught in English.

I have to get this sorted in couple of days. Request for your help and advice.

Thanks