ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling first time since becoming British Citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

imran22
Member of Standing

Travelling first time since becoming British Citizen

Post by imran22 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:34 am

Hello members

I am flying to Pakistan first time since I got my British nationality. I just wanted to know if I can put my Pakistani passport details when I check-in and also use the same when I am returning back but provide my British Passport on immigration counter.
Is this how people use it? I am quite sure that you can only provide one passport details when checking in online so providing both will not work.

Thank you for your help

sidhujazz

Re: Travelling first time since becoming British Citizen

Post by sidhujazz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:37 am

It will create an issue at the check-in desk.

Why would you want to do this anyway, i bother using your pak passport details when you are already a British national?

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:52 am

If I use my british passport for flying then it means I need to get a visa to Pakistan isn't it?

How would it create problem at the check-in desk? For them being British is irrelevant isn't it? I am using my Pakistani passport to fly to Pakistan and on return I will show my Pakistani passport along with my ILR card showing that I have permission to enter UK.

When I land in UK I can simply present my British passport on immigration.

Is there any flaw in this? Please help

sidhujazz

Post by sidhujazz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:56 am

As a pakistani national you are allowed to have a dual nationality.

When they ask about pakistani visa, you give your pakistani passport along with the UK passport at the check in desk.

ILR card becomes invalid after you attended the citizenship ceremony (oath) and received your certificate.

sidhujazz

Post by sidhujazz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:58 am

Seniors please do confirm this.

My answer was based on the information i gathered from reading other related posts, not my personal experience.

Ozair

Post by Ozair » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:41 pm

There is no problem in that. I traveled last year along with my baby. The baby had a pakistani passport and british passport. We used his british passport to go to pakistan and showed the pakistani passport at heathrow to check in. No problems, when we landed in pakistan we used pakistani passport to checkout. Did the reverse on the return journey and we were able to use the British queue as we had a british baby on hand :) ... the only downside to this approach is that your exit entry stamps will be on two different passports.

An easier way is to have a NICOP. National identity card for overseas pakistanis. It says on the card that the holder of this card is entitled to visa free entry to pakistan. So this is just like an ILR card for pakistan and it is valid for 10 years. So you can just carry your british passport with the NICOP and there should not be any problems. There will be longer queue for you in pakistan though as you will be standing in foreign passenger line in pakistan for immigration purpose and you will have to fill out a landing card.

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Does ILR become invalid after becoming British Citizen?

Anybody used Pakistani passport while checking-in online and faced any problems? Once you enter the passport details it will remain the same for both going out and coming back journey.

Just to recap to keep things simple I want to use Pakistani passport/ILR all the way through until we come back and just wanted to use British Passport on immigration counter in UK.

Ozair

Post by Ozair » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:06 pm

imran22 wrote:Just to recap to keep things simple I want to use Pakistani passport/ILR all the way through until we come back and just wanted to use British Passport on immigration counter in UK.
This should not be a problem. Just hand over the pakistani passport if they ask you about it. If you have a british passport, no questions asked when entering britain.

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:11 am

Thanks Ozair

I think you got it wrong I want to just use my Pakistani passport not British. I will only use British to enter back into the country by presenting it at the immigration on London Heathrow.

I want to use my Pakistani passport and ILR for check-in purposes. Will there be any issues with that?

Ozair

Post by Ozair » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:06 pm

This should not be a problem.

dr_me

Post by dr_me » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:59 pm

Just got a confirmation from a frequent flayer :)
You only need NICOP and British passport (Take Pakistani as well, in case they want to have a look). At the check in hand over your British passport with NICOP and you do not have to fill in the landing card in Pakistan. The Q you will be using at the immigration will be for foreign passports. On your return do the same, keep NICOP and show your British Passport. Your British passport will be stamped on both occasions.

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:09 pm

Thank you dr_me for your very clear post. However I have one issue. I do not have NICOP.

I do not have deep knowledge on this but I can't see any issue in using Pakistani passport for the journey. So on airline system I will key-in my Pakistani passport details and on my return journey show them ILR card to obtain the boarding pass.

Can anyone see any problems. I am so confused now. Please help

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:48 pm

Anyone has any suggestions members

Is it OK to use Pakistani passport and ILR for both leg of journeys

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:55 pm

:(

jmehmud

Post by jmehmud » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:38 pm

I have travelled twice since I am in UK. My wife has dual nationality. I just got british nationality. I have seen while travelling, she gives her bother Pakistani & British passport on immigration in UK & Pakistan. They will stamp on it whichever they want to use. No need to take unnecessary tension. Just present both passport to immigration and let them deal with it. I dont understand y u are assisting to show Pakistani passport only.
Jasim Mehmud

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:53 pm

imran22 wrote:Thank you dr_me for your very clear post. However I have one issue. I do not have NICOP.

Can anyone see any problems. I am so confused now. Please help
Use your British passport for travelling (both ways) and Pakistani passport as your nicop (just to prove that you're a dual national and don't require visa to enter Pakistan).
Goodluck.

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:08 pm

If I were you, I would change after Naturalisation and Passport. Makes it a whole lot easier tbh.
Goodluck.