ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English proficiency AFTER Oct 2013

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

random.thoughts
India

English proficiency AFTER Oct 2013

Post by random.thoughts » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:23 am

Guys,
I have 5 years of Tier1/HSMP and one year of ILR. My wife has 3+ years of dependent and one year of ILR. We are both planning to apply for Naturalisation.

I was told that for the English proficiency a printout of the PBS calculator is perfectly acceptable. However my wife has never been a PBS (always a dependent) however she also has a degree and is working in the UK. What are my options to show her english proficiency?

1) Apply and write an ESOL test £150 approx?
2) Apply to the UK NARIC and send her degree details and ask them to provide a certifiacate £55 approx?
3) Take a print out from the PBS calculator? Obviously the PBS calculator asks for details like "Date of first Tier1 application" etc none of which is applicable so I am a little uncomfortable doing that. Her qualification appears in the points calculator though.

Has anyone done this post the rule change in Oct 2013?

bhossan100

Re: English proficiency AFTER Oct 2013

Post by bhossan100 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:42 pm

Hi
If her degree is from UK college/university, option 2 is cheaper.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:04 pm

An applicant does not need to be previously on any points based visa earlier to use the PBS printout. Use the calculator as if you are applying for tier 1 and see if her degree in being awarded points for education (20 at least) and English language requirement (10 Points). The aim here is to just check if her degree is upto the UK standard and is taught in English. We are using PBS printout instead of NARIC. This will the cheapest option and a valid option.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:06 pm

bhossan100 wrote:Hi
If her degree is from UK college/university, option 2 is cheaper.
Just for information, if the degree is obtained in UK, you do not need NARIC certificate.

aarnav

Post by aarnav » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:07 pm

Got this Reply from Home office

Since my spouse has been deoendent on my Visa ( which was WP) ,I had asked them similar question

Might help

Dear Sir,

Any applicant applying for British citizenship or settlement can use the online points calculator to evidence that their qualification is comparable to a UK degree and was taught in English. Accessing the calculator as a Tier 1 (General) migrant will provide both sets of points (if applicable).

It is only for the purpose of evidencing the English language component of the KOLL requirement, and not for claiming points that we permit applicants to submit prints from the calculator, therefore it is for the applicant to access it in the category that is most likely to produce the required evidence. The alternative is for the applicant to submit confirmation from UK NARIC.

I trust this is helpful.

Regards

Ann

aarnav

Post by aarnav » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:33 pm

[quote="aruni4470"]An applicant does not need to be previously on any points based visa earlier to use the PBS printout. Use the calculator as if you are applying for tier 1 and see if her degree in being awarded points for education (20 at least) and English language requirement (10 Points). The aim here is to just check if her degree is upto the UK standard and is taught in English. We are using PBS printout instead of NARIC. This will the cheapest option and a valid option.[/quote]

Hello Aruni

Could you please point me to the link where it says only 20 points needed for education ,Not aware ,so asking this basic question

Rgds

A

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:04 pm

aarnav wrote:
aruni4470 wrote:An applicant does not need to be previously on any points based visa earlier to use the PBS printout. Use the calculator as if you are applying for tier 1 and see if her degree in being awarded points for education (20 at least) and English language requirement (10 Points). The aim here is to just check if her degree is upto the UK standard and is taught in English. We are using PBS printout instead of NARIC. This will the cheapest option and a valid option.
Hello Aruni

Could you please point me to the link where it says only 20 points needed for education ,Not aware ,so asking this basic question

Rgds

A
Dont have a link but, below is the email reply I got from KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

Dear Sir,

We will accept a print out from the points calculator as evidence of English language for a naturalisation application, provided it shows that the degree was awarded at least 20 points for comparability to a UK degree, and an additional 10 points for English language,

I trust this is helpful

Ann

Ann Woodall | Nationality Operational Policy| Operational Policy & Rules Unit|Immigration and Border Policy Directorate | Home Office

Blue Zone, 5th Floor, The Capital | Liverpool | L39PP

aarnav

Post by aarnav » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:12 pm

Thanks Aruni & Thanks to Ann Woodall

She or he has been quite responsive

Decided to go with PBS now ,No More English language test

Rgds

A