ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British Passport online

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

reddy009

Re: Applying for British Passport online

Post by reddy009 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:33 pm

UPDATE

Passport for: Adult
Application Type: New (Naturalised)
Method of application: Post office check and Send ( to Peterborough)
Date of application: 31/05/2014
Date sms received : -- 04/06/2014
Date of receipt of interview letter:
Date of Passport Appointment:
Date of return of supporting documents:
Date of Passport Receipt:

carpe_diem_247
Newly Registered

Post by carpe_diem_247 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:27 pm

I applied online as well. I did not do much research, I figured this 2014 and we are in the UK, and applying online is way more convenient than using the Post Office.

Turns out I was spectacularly wrong. Four weeks after I sent in the printed application with the supporting documents, I got a letter containing this gem Unfortunately you have not filled in the whole form, with a form attached which I am supposed to fill and send back. Initially, I was furious, and I thought I will call the number on the letter and give them a piece of my mind. But guess what? You can't do that either. The phone keeps ringing, but nobody answers. You can stay on hold for the rest of your natural life and nobody will answer, I am pretty sure.

Moral of the story: Stay well clear of the online service. And don't make simplifying assumptions when dealing with the bunch of ruddy muppets formally known as the British bureaucracy.

mikeinredditch
Newly Registered

Post by mikeinredditch » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:55 pm

We rang the 0845 number in the letter, and after approx 5 - 10 mins of getting the same boring loop of speech and music got through to a real person who acknowledged it was a home office error and gave us meaningful information.

Unfotunately though we still ended up with the same answer that it will take a paper form and several more weeks.

Dali83

Post by Dali83 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:14 pm

[b][size=150][/size][/b] surprise surprise!!!

[size=100][/size] I have applied online on 20th May and sent my application on 23rd by recorded delivery and not by special delivery (my mistake as I couldn't track my parcel with Royal Mail, thanks to RM!!!). Had to call the number provided on the application form on Thursday 29th worrying that my parcel was lost on the way or took too long to arrive. To my surprise the lady who answered was so helpful and told me that it arrived on Tuesday 27th. I explained to her that I had to include a cover letter with the details of my parents and great parents from each side and she replied that was good and I won't need to fill any further documents. Told here that is there a possibility to get my passport any time around the 20th of ApJune as I need to apply for the visa for my wife (booked tickets on 5th July by Eurostar) (told her also that the trip is to see my sister who coming from Canada which I see her only every two years and this will be the whole family reunion) and she replied that's nice and you should hear from us by either the 10th or 17th of June. Up to no I was very optimistic that everything is going according to plan.

Until I was going through people experience and what is on the news these days of the big backlog of passport I was really scared that everything will not be according to plan.

Went to work this morning and to the word of the lady I spoke to, a letter was waiting for me to say that I should book an appointment for my passport which was done after waiting approx 4 min on the phone, earliest was Wednesday in Victoria or Chemslfield on Saturday afternoon which I booked.

Again they even send me a copy of the same letter to my home address today.

So to conclude with I think as long as you include the cover letter with the extra details you should be fine. Please note that my application was sent to Liverpool so you may not want to take chance if it's another office like Durham.

All the best to everyone.

Ps the guy over the phone told me that my passport should take between 7 and 10 days after the appointment! Is this correct?

Dali83

Post by Dali83 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:45 pm

Just to add on my previous post. I had my interview on Saturday afternoon and received my passport this morning.

just under 4 weeks it took me from start to finish, not bad!

All the best for everyone who is waiting.

Regards

Saffagrl
Newly Registered

Post by Saffagrl » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:05 pm

So many people on here (including myself) have completed the online application process 100% accurately according to the questions asked online, based on being naturalised citizens, and have received letters telling them that they have not completed the form correctly. Then we are told to do a whole new paper form, including counter signatory - delaying the process even further.

Why aren't any of you complaining to your MP about this outrageous situation? We are British Citizens now. Section 4 is clearly about claim to British Nationality, as it states that: should both parents be born outside the UK, you need to include your grandparents' details or your parents' claim to British Nationality. Section 4 is clearly not relevant to those who have been naturlised as citizens. In addition, guidance notes on www.directgov.uk (http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg ... 184487.pdf) page 14 clearly shows that parents and grandparents details are not required for naturalised citizens.

Instead of just cowtowing to the gross inpompence of the box-ticking in the Passport Office, we should be complaining to our MPs and ask them to intervene on our behalf. Just recently, with the major passport application backlog, Theresa May herself said that appplicats should get their MPs to intervene.

The Passport Office needs to be made to acknowledge that it's online application system is not fit for purpose for naturalised citizens and place that guidance on the online application OR they should a knowledge that their case workers are not appropriately trained to deal with online applications or naturalised citizen applications.

My parents or grandparents have no claim to British nationality. If they had, I wouldn't have had to jump through all these years' worth of hoops to become naturalised. I don't buy the ID argument. They ask a lot of questions in the interview that are not from information provided on any of these forms. Like who lives with you. Or what aspect your garden has, etc. And even if it is a requirement for ID purposes, the online application is still flawed and not fit for purpose.

I have complained to my MP and she is taking up the matter. This is the only way to help future applicants. Not making a complaint on the website. If I don't get sufficient satisfaction from my MP, I will be taking this matter to the press. The government are encouraging everyone to use online systems, touting them as being faster, but they are clearly not fit for purpose in this case and clearly haven't been for a long time if this forum is anything to go by. The point of a beta system is to take feedback from users and correct glitches, which clearly isn't being done, because we are all just submitting to the incompetence.

Why should we have to cancel holidays and redo whole forms and countersignatories for a few lines of text that can be requested via email or letter or even just the relevant section of the form completed? Or better yet a few lines of code altered. The parents' section is already online for those who tick the "no" box in the naturalisation question. It would take a matter of minutes to alter to online form to add it to the naturalised citizens' application, if it is indeed required - which contradicts their own online guidance document.

This is what our MPs are for people!!! That is why their contact details are available online and the website is aptly called "they work for you".

The more of us complain, the better things will be for future applicants, and for ourselves.

Apologies for the rant, but I'm sick of being bullied or ignored by the immigration folks just because they can and because we are too scared of being refused a visa/extension/pr/iltr if we complain. We are British citizens now and we have rights. Part of the British values so heavily emphasised recently is democracy and our right to make our elected officials work for us, especially where the government is involved.

19eggs

Post by 19eggs » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:15 pm

Hi! Saffagirl,

I fully agree with you. Even though I sent my application through the PO Checking Service, I just wondered if you could put up the text you sent to your MP here so other members who wish to write to may use it as a template.

I think most of us just do not want to type a letter. Your template would at least make it easier.

Thanks
Saffagrl wrote:So many people on here (including myself) have completed the online application process 100% accurately according to the questions asked online, based on being naturalised citizens, and have received letters telling them that they have not completed the form correctly. Then we are told to do a whole new paper form, including counter signatory - delaying the process even further.

Why aren't any of you complaining to your MP about this outrageous situation? We are British Citizens now. Section 4 is clearly about claim to British Nationality, as it states that: should both parents be born outside the UK, you need to include your grandparents' details or your parents' claim to British Nationality. Section 4 is clearly not relevant to those who have been naturlised as citizens. In addition, guidance notes on http://www.directgov.uk (http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg ... 184487.pdf) page 14 clearly shows that parents and grandparents details are not required for naturalised citizens.

Instead of just cowtowing to the gross inpompence of the box-ticking in the Passport Office, we should be complaining to our MPs and ask them to intervene on our behalf. Just recently, with the major passport application backlog, Theresa May herself said that appplicats should get their MPs to intervene.

The Passport Office needs to be made to acknowledge that it's online application system is not fit for purpose for naturalised citizens and place that guidance on the online application OR they should a knowledge that their case workers are not appropriately trained to deal with online applications or naturalised citizen applications.

My parents or grandparents have no claim to British nationality. If they had, I wouldn't have had to jump through all these years' worth of hoops to become naturalised. I don't buy the ID argument. They ask a lot of questions in the interview that are not from information provided on any of these forms. Like who lives with you. Or what aspect your garden has, etc. And even if it is a requirement for ID purposes, the online application is still flawed and not fit for purpose.

I have complained to my MP and she is taking up the matter. This is the only way to help future applicants. Not making a complaint on the website. If I don't get sufficient satisfaction from my MP, I will be taking this matter to the press. The government are encouraging everyone to use online systems, touting them as being faster, but they are clearly not fit for purpose in this case and clearly haven't been for a long time if this forum is anything to go by. The point of a beta system is to take feedback from users and correct glitches, which clearly isn't being done, because we are all just submitting to the incompetence.

Why should we have to cancel holidays and redo whole forms and countersignatories for a few lines of text that can be requested via email or letter or even just the relevant section of the form completed? Or better yet a few lines of code altered. The parents' section is already online for those who tick the "no" box in the naturalisation question. It would take a matter of minutes to alter to online form to add it to the naturalised citizens' application, if it is indeed required - which contradicts their own online guidance document.

This is what our MPs are for people!!! That is why their contact details are available online and the website is aptly called "they work for you".

The more of us complain, the better things will be for future applicants, and for ourselves.

Apologies for the rant, but I'm sick of being bullied or ignored by the immigration folks just because they can and because we are too scared of being refused a visa/extension/pr/iltr if we complain. We are British citizens now and we have rights. Part of the British values so heavily emphasised recently is democracy and our right to make our elected officials work for us, especially where the government is involved.

mikeinredditch
Newly Registered

Post by mikeinredditch » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:07 pm

We did take it to our MP.

Due to there help or otherwise my wife's passport arrived within 2 weeks of us doing the paper form to replace the online form. It arrived on Sunday, and we go on holiday tomorrow!

I also contacted the BBC and the Daily Mail - the BBC e-mailed me back to speak to me, but I didn't get the message before they ran their story. When I pointed out that it was a slightly different problem and that I was still available I heard nothing more.

The Daily Mail ignored my e-mail (I contacted the journalist who originally ran the story on people missing half term holidays).

The worst part of it is that the website still allows people to submit the form online without requesting parents details. The PO claim they need this for their interview questions, not just for nationality.

Anyway, we are going to forget about it while sunning ourselves in the South of France!

Saffagrl
Newly Registered

Post by Saffagrl » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:20 pm

I agree that it is a big problem that they are selling an online service which is clearly unfit for purpose. I am trying to avoid having to resend the paper form at all, as I have complied with what was requested from me online in full. It is not my fault if the online system has a mistake in it that needs to be rectified.

My email to the MP was along these lines (but I would urge you to do your own version - I am by no means perfect when it comes to writing and a more personal approach will probably make them take a lot more notice than a bunch of identical emails reaching the MP or ideally Immigration Minister in charge of the Passport Office):
Dear Ms/Mr/Miss/Mrs,
Further to enquiries regarding the delay I am experiencing with my online passport application, during which I was informed that Section 4 of my application was incomplete, I have just received a letter from the Peterborough passport office (attached) effectively informing me to make a fresh application, with a blank paper application form enclosed!

This is nothing short of outrageous and represents the very worst of what is a national scandal.

I have followed the Passport Office online application procedure to a T, and completed the online application in order to expedite the process. The online process picks the sections based on the answers given to various questions (such as whether or not you have received a Naturalisation Certificate), and then you are left to print off a signed declaration form with counter-signatory details, and send in the physical supporting documentation. All of this I have done. HM Passport's online system did not request me to complete Section 4 at all or provide the information pertaining to section 4 anywhere throughout the application process.

As per page 14 of the Passport Office Guidance notes found here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg ... 184487.pdf , no document/information of parents or grandparents are required for Naturalised Citizens (which is the only information dealt with by section 4).

So either
a) their online system is not fit for purpose; or
b) the Peterborough office is plain wrong;
c) or there is a discrepancy in criteria between Glasgow (online) and Peterborough (paper).

The return address for my initial signed declaration was Glasgow which deals with the online applications. What I suspect has happened is that in order to ease the terrible backlog at Glasgow, my application was transferred to Peterborough which deals more with paper applications, and they seem to be lost out at sea with regards to my application, possibly due to reason c)

Regardless, being informed that my application is effectively rejected, and that I have to fill out a fresh paper application is nothing short of a disgrace.

I request:
1) urgent, strong representations be made to a senior officer in the passport office that my application be accepted as complete as per the online system and
2) that the minister in charge or the passport office - Immigration Minister James Brokenshire be informed of the same - there is a systemic failure here.
3) An apology and acknowledgement from HM Passport Office that the online application system is not fit for purpose and in effect causes extra delays to applications due to this.

I cannot overemphasise just how unjust and outrageous a situation the passport office has created, and consequently how upset I feel right now at the prospects of my holiday with child in very real risk of being ruined.

What confidence has the public in the e-government, online project, when an applicant utilises the online system perfectly and without fault only for her to be subsequently told her application is deficient! Why roll out, promote and encourage the use of a system that will necessarily lead a naturalised citizen to be rejected?

Ideally, I would like my application to be transferred to a same say service in London (if this is within the next week - I don't want this to be cause of further delays) at no cost given the chaos HMP has created.

I look forward to hearing from you urgently.

Many thanks

(HM Passport Office letter attached )
Something along those lines...

PS: I haven't approached the press yet, but would not think that right wing press such as the daily mail would have any concerns about the problems of immigrants...

I might do a Freedom of Informatiom request on how many similar "incomplete" online applications there has been from naturalised citizens, compared to how many onine applicatioms there are from naturalised citizens. It would be interestimg to note if this policy is being applied arbitrarily or not.

Bashman12
Newly Registered

Post by Bashman12 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:05 am

spui wrote:
ken218 wrote:
teenboy wrote:Online status is dispatched for both our applications. Dx says, mine is not traceable...
Hey, congrats :D my application still says "Please contact us" I don't think I will get anything helpful even if I contact them... ;)
The online status for both my wife and me has changed to "Please contact us". I hope that means that my letter asking me to schedule an interview is in the post.

Had to cancel a trip to Germany because of this delay with online applications. :(
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine and my wife online status states "please contact us" as well, doest that mean we are expecting an interview letter??? :|

Bashman12
Newly Registered

Post by Bashman12 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:42 pm

Mine and my wife passport online status states "Please contact us" as well. Does that mean we are expecting an interview letter, after waiting for more than 7 weeks? :|

kindakiwi
Newly Registered

Post by kindakiwi » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:18 pm

Greetings eveyone,

This is my first post but I wanted to also share my experience.

I was Naturalised in May and applied for my new Passport online and posted the declaration on the 24/06/2014 along with my supporting documents including my Kiwi Passport.

I have a silly job where I'm required to travel, at the drop of a hat and around 70% of the time - I worked out some quiet time with my employer to go through the process as they are very keen for me to have a British (And Kiwi) passport!

Today I got the "infamous" "Unfortunately, you have not filled in the whole form" letter from HMPO along with a paper application form.

I was shocked.. then angry, then sad, then worried.

I rang HMPO and spoke to a lovely lady who I described my concerns to, she said she couldn't deal with it but would pass my concerns onto Liverpool (Dealing with my app) and they should contact me within 24-48 hrs. (Cold comfort, I read they don't call?)

Not much to say other than I'll fill the damn form out and include my folks details, and thankfully after reading this thread (and the small print) my grandparents details. (although some of this will be hard - my dads side is estranged and I really don't know DOB's, dates of marriages etc..)

Worst part of all of this is my wife's "Told you so's" and "You should have used check and send" etc. but forgive her.. she's British from birth.

Cheers,

:)

Nige.

hallamking
Newly Registered

Post by hallamking » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:16 pm

Hi All,

In the British PP form in section 4 when applying for kids PP it states
"if both parents were born abroad we will also need the full name,town,country,date of birth,and date date of marriage of your grandparents(or details of your parents claim to British nationality).

what does this mean and what do I need to fill in.
please advise..

Many Thanks

2wmm
Newly Registered

Post by 2wmm » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Hi there, has anyone used the online application recently?
Just did it and was not sure about the parents info. Came in here only to find out the previous experiences.
I am wondering if it has been improved since this summer.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories!

syb007
Newly Registered

Post by syb007 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi,

I have query regarding online applications. I am applying for first passport for my Son who was born in the UK but have recently got BC after my status changed to ILR.

I have few queries regarding supporting documents required with my Sons Passport Application
1. Do I need to send my Son's original non british passport along with the Application. Or Colour photo copies are sufficient?
2. Do I need to send my original non-british passport or copies along with my ILR card?

<<<<<<< Following list of documents are listed on my online form <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Document Checklist Check you have the following documents in your envelope before sending it to us:
Page of
Completed declaration form
Two recent identical photographs
Your certificate of registration or naturalisation
Any other uncancelled non-British passports relating to you

Thank You,
Syb

syb007
Newly Registered

Post by syb007 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:16 am

anyone could address my queries?

vivdubes

Post by vivdubes » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:02 pm

You have to send everything in orginal no photocopies

1. Do I need to send my Son's original non british passport along with the Application. Or Colour photo copies are sufficient?
Orginal non British passport along with the birth certificate UK one.
2. Do I need to send my original non-british passport or copies along with my ILR card?
Yes you too have to send your passport along with BRP.

syb007
Newly Registered

Post by syb007 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi vivdubes, Many thanks for your response.
Sorry, two more querie..
I have mentioned marriage date in application, Do I need to submit marriage certificate as well?
and do I need to submit my wifes passport along with (ILR) BRP card.

Thanks,
Syb

2wmm
Newly Registered

Post by 2wmm » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:34 am

Passport for: 3 Adult + 1 Child
Application Type: New (Naturalized Citizen)
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 20/10/2014 (declaration forms posted by special delivery)
Online status on 21/10/2014: forms received/processing.
Date application received by IPS: tbc
Date of return of documents: tbc
Date of receipt of interview letter:tbc
Date of Passport Appointment: tbc
Date of Passport Receipt:tbc

Wish me good luck! :)

waks
Newly Registered

Post by waks » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:07 pm

Do not apply for British passport online, online you are not asked for parents details but you will receive a paper application send b the passport office because your parents details are missing. Application that needs to be fully complete with referee signature, which delays the process. Applied online the 02/10/2014 only yesterday received the sms confirming the reception of my application ( the 2nd one, paper)

2wmm
Newly Registered

Post by 2wmm » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:17 pm

2wmm wrote:Passport for: 3 Adult + 1 Child
Application Type: New (Naturalized Citizen)
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 20/10/2014 (declaration forms posted by special delivery)
Online status on 21/10/2014: forms received/processing.
Received the infamous letter to refill the paper form for 3 adults: 26/10,
Re-posted the paper forms of 3: 28/10
Online status on 29/10 for 3 adults: please contact us.
Online status for 1 child: forms received/processing.
Date application received by IPS: tbc
Date of return of documents: tbc
Date of receipt of interview letter:tbc
Date of Passport Appointment: tbc
Date of Passport Receipt:tbc

Wish me good luck! :)
UPDATE:
Got the infamous letter "you have not fill out the form completely" [WHAT a rubbish BETA!]

HELP:
Can anyone advice what the "please contact us" means?
And why the status of the child application still no changes?

THANKS.

akhurshid

Post by akhurshid » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:20 pm

I was looking at the form the other day and it has a section which asks you to provide other relevant information. I wonder if that is where you have to add the parents details?

2wmm
Newly Registered

Post by 2wmm » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:40 pm

Now I am able to answer my own questions (I hope) as I just called the contact no. and went through to a person.
According to him:
Can anyone advice what the "please contact us" means? ----database has not been updated. They got everything they need for my application, I can expect the interview letter by post. (He would not reveal the other 2 adults, saying they need to make calls themselves. I assume we are in same boat. )
And why the status of the child application still no changes? ----there is no issues with the child application, processing.

akhurshid

Post by akhurshid » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:45 pm

2wmm wrote:Now I am able to answer my own questions (I hope) as I just called the contact no. and went through to a person.
According to him:
Can anyone advice what the "please contact us" means? ----database has not been updated. They got everything they need for my application, I can expect the interview letter by post. (He would not reveal the other 2 adults, saying they need to make calls themselves. I assume we are in same boat. )
And why the status of the child application still no changes? ----there is no issues with the child application, processing.
Does that mean online application system actually worked?

2wmm
Newly Registered

Post by 2wmm » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:27 pm

[/quote] Does that mean online application system actually worked?[/quote]

I believe so. Because that BETA charged my account for the application fee without any delay. :lol: