ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Form AN query - Urgent help required - English language

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Read123
Newly Registered

Form AN query - Urgent help required - English language

Post by Read123 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:13 am

I have come across many posts regarding english language requirements, but mine is a bit different. Apologies in advance if this has already been addressed earlier.

To fulfill the knowledge of language requirements, I will be providing the point based calculator print for my degree (it awards me 30 points for my degree, which means it is equivalent to a UK Bachelor degree) & letter from my university stating that the degree was taught in English. Unfortunately, the point based calculator does not award me any points for English language. Could you please advise which options (box 1 - 6) do I need to choose below (extract of form AN is given below) to fulful the above criteria ?

 I have speaking & listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification OR BOX 1

 I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of Bachelor or Master degree or PhD in the UK and BOX 2

(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English ; or BOX 3

(ii) The qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada); OR BOX 4

 I am a national of a majority English speaking country; OR BOX 5

 I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013 ; BOX 6

An urgent response would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Read123
Newly Registered

Re: Form AN query - Urgent help required - English language

Post by Read123 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:09 am

Hi,
Sorry did not hear from any of the moderators. Please could anyone help me out urgently ?

Read123
Newly Registered

Post by Read123 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:23 am

Could someone please reply ? Thanks

skilled_migrant

Post by skilled_migrant » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:38 am

Awarding 30 points for degree on PBS does not prove that you meet English language requirements as well.

University letter only stating that degree was taught in English is also not acceptable by UKBA.

Now since you got degree and letter from university, you should apply to NARIC for "English Language Assessment". That NARIC certificate will be acceptable to UKBA.

Check here on NARIC site:
http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/individuals/C ... sment.aspx

go2khurram
Member of Standing

Post by go2khurram » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Read123 wrote:I have come across many posts regarding english language requirements, but mine is a bit different. Apologies in advance if this has already been addressed earlier.

To fulfill the knowledge of language requirements, I will be providing the point based calculator print for my degree (it awards me 30 points for my degree, which means it is equivalent to a UK Bachelor degree) & letter from my university stating that the degree was taught in English. Unfortunately, the point based calculator does not award me any points for English language. Could you please advise which options (box 1 - 6) do I need to choose below (extract of form AN is given below) to fulful the above criteria ?

 I have speaking & listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification OR BOX 1

 I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of Bachelor or Master degree or PhD in the UK and BOX 2

(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English ; or BOX 3

(ii) The qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada); OR BOX 4

 I am a national of a majority English speaking country; OR BOX 5

 I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013 ; BOX 6

An urgent response would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Have you already proven your English language skills in a previous Tier 1 or HSMP application?
*please do not take this as professional advice**

skilled_migrant

Post by skilled_migrant » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:59 pm

Read123 wrote:Could you please advise which options (box 1 - 6) do I need to choose below (extract of form AN is given below) to fulful the above criteria ?
Here is another good discussion related to your question:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 50136.html

But question still remains, which option to check? I do not know. :(

go2khurram
Member of Standing

Post by go2khurram » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:11 pm

skilled_migrant wrote:
Read123 wrote:Could you please advise which options (box 1 - 6) do I need to choose below (extract of form AN is given below) to fulful the above criteria ?
Here is another good discussion related to your question:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 50136.html

But question still remains, which option to check? I do not know. :(
If you was on HSMP or Tier 1 then you must have proven your English language skills in a previous Tier 1 or HSMP application? Didn't you?
*please do not take this as professional advice**

Read123
Newly Registered

Post by Read123 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Thank you very much for all of your replies.

I was initially on work permit & then switched to Tier-2. While applying for Tier-2, I did use the point based calculator & it awarded me 10 points for English, but does not award me any points now.

I came to know that we need to enter details as Tier-1 (General) migrant to check if our degree awards us any points even though we are a Tier-2 migrant. When I entered details as Tier-1 migrant, it gave me 30 points for my degree but unfortunately, no points for my English langauage.

I am not very sure of the NARIC (English assessment) route, since they only certify against C1 grade, but we need a B1 grade. So I am confused now.

Please could anyone advise?

Many thanks.

skilled_migrant

Post by skilled_migrant » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:34 pm

Dear Read123,

If NARIC assesses your degree to grade C1 it is even better, because LEVEL C1 is higher than B1. :)

Home office english levels in ascending order are:
A1, A2, B1 ,B2, C1, C2

So level B1, B2, C1 and C2 are acceptable by Home Office.

To double check it, open the following document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _tests.pdf

Page 17, 18 says IELTS Grade 4=B1, 5.5=B2, 7.0=C1, 8.5=C2

It confirms C1 is far better than B1.

Read123
Newly Registered

Post by Read123 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:21 pm

Hi skilled_migrant,

Thank you very much for your response.

I do understand that C1 is higher to B1. But my worry is that what if NARIC does not provide me with a C1 certification? What if they refuse my application ? I am not sure how I can check this before I apply for my English Language Assessment with NARIC.

If you could clarify this, that would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

saj19

Post by saj19 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:47 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know which option to check for this (if submitting original degree with PBS printout)