ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

surrendering indian passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

riojamel

surrendering indian passport

Post by riojamel » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Hello guys
I want to make an enquiry regarding surrendering my indian passport. I got certificate of naturalisation (british nationality) on 4th December 2012 and got my british passport on 5th January 2013.
I need to surrender my indian passport because I am planning to go india. My indian passport expired on 16 October 2013.
Do I have to pay any fine , because my indian passport is already expires or I can surrender just normal way by post.

I will be very thankfull for your reply.

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Re: surrendering indian passport

Post by IndiMarshall » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:56 am

You should have surrendered your passport as immediately as possible when you got nationality

Under the Indian law, Persons of Indian Origin who have acquired foreign Nationality are required to surrender their Indian passports to the nearest Indian Mission/Post immediately after acquisition of foreign citizenship.

To my konwledge after the ceremony if you visit India with in 90 days and come back it is fine without surrendering the Indian passport ..
After that 90 days period if you dont surrender there is a fine of 145£ approx... if the visits are more .. there is a max fine of £1400 approx..

Roughly this correct.. do your own research

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/surenderind_pass.html

alinet_99
Newly Registered

Re: surrendering indian passport

Post by alinet_99 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:35 am

Hi,

My friend recently surrendered his passport after two years and traveled on his Indian passport a few times, he was fined £1100, the fine was imposed only after you submit the application.

Good luck.